• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ANN STREET CITY CENTRE

Yes Moss that certainly seems so. I've been looking for where the kiln that seems to be in the picture might be and the only plce i can find that there might be one in birmingham (pottery, earthenware or glass manufacturers) are in vyse St, Steelhouse lane and New St. None of these places seem to fit the view from the firm
mike

Good strategy, Mike.
The school on the map shown earlier on this thread was Ann St School. The premises were described as "spacious & convenient". There were over 200 children on the roll, with summer attendance at 180 and winter at 140. The children were too young to attend other schools and it was considered that they would benefit from instruction, separation from bad influence & removal from neglect of working parents or those involved in household duties. As one of a number of infant schools in Birmingham Ann St Sch was supported by donations & subscriptions.
Source: An Historical Sketch of Birmingham Yates 1830.

Thanks Lyn.What a great thread this has become,i doubt that there were many of us who knew of Ann Street until this thread started.
Moss.

I understand that Ann was one of the members of the Colmore family after whom several streets in this area are named ie Edmund St, Charles St before it became Gt Charles St

hi david thanks for that info..didnt know that...just goes to show one is never to old to learn...

moss i must admint up until i posted those pics of ann st i had not really given much thought to what the city centre must have looked liked before it is now...i now find it fascinating and ive been racking me brains as to where i posted some old city centre pics prob early part of last year.....will keep looking for the thread....

lyn

most annoying is this shirl...me brains are well and truely racked at the min...still i will press on...

lyn

I found the attached in a scrapbook that my husband's grandfather kept (and indexed!). It has lots of things to do with the City - as well as all the family announcements.

Ann_Street.jpg

Last edited:
hi leslam..what a wonderful cutting..thank you so much for posting it...so i wonder then the the old french horn pub is the building on the corner of my pic 2 which is on post 1.....

lyn

Drake in his book Picture of Birmingham wrote of Ann St " This part of the town has lately witnessed great alterations. The old & poor buildings which formed the south eastern side of Ann St have been removed, the surface of the street lowered & the ground between Ann St & New St, which had been occupied by gardens, laid out for building on. It is made a condition, by the proprietor of the land, that all houses & other errections shall be of stone, or coated with its semblance Roman cement."
So that would have amounted to an early planning scheme.

It is interesting to compare this pic of Allins Cabinet & other buildings with the earlier one on post 24. On the face of it there appears to have been some changes on the Allins side of Congreve St.

yet another gem of a pic shirl....i still cant track down where i posted the old brum pics...the cherry st one was great...not happy...

lyn

Thanks, David.
1) Ann St, Christ Church & New St.
2) The Colmore pic shows a large squarish building. I do wonder if this was the former Ann St School. I have looked in early directories for obvious mention, without success, and Griffith fails to mention Ann St School in his 1861 book A History of the Free Schools. This is odd, because on the map Mike posted it looks as though the school had a large footprint.

Shirley I think, if you mean the square building in the centre of your right hand picture, then this would have been too far up to have been in Ann St, which ended at Newhall st. In fact I think it would be the Blue coat school , the position of which is shown on post 7 of https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9516. Anne St school does appear, though not under that name.The 1845 and 1849 PO directories list in Ann St , in about the right position:
47 British & Foreign School, Miss Mary Ann Harris, mistress
48 Infant School,Mrs. Sarah Smith, mistress.
Either could be the school in question.
In 1855 it has become:
47 Temperance Hall,Benjamin Blackbam, secretary
48 InfantSchool,Mrs.SarahSmitb,mistress
The infant school is still there in 1862, but has gone by 1868. When the street was incorporated into Colmore Row 48 Ann St became 118 Colmore row and 47Ann St became 120 Colmore Row
Hope that is helpful
mike

yippee...just going through me old mags again and ive found the pic of cherry st...will scan it...start a new thread and post...

lyn

Back