• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ann Harris Dancing School Erdington

Lynda Harvey

Brummie Born and Bred
Does anyone remember Ann Harris Dancing School? I went there for tap and acrobatics in the 1950's. We used to do pantomine at the Aston Hipp. Whilst doing Babes in the Woods, I went off the stage crying because I'd forgotten my coat!!:cry: I came accross my certificates from back then the other day, from over 50 years ago:2131:

Lynda

jennyann

master brummie
Staff member
Hi Lynda: Yes I remember the Ann Harris School of Dance located in Cecil Road, Erdington. I believe it is still going and run by a relative...grandaughter perhaps, in a Church Hall around Erdington. Not sure. It must have been the late l940's early l950's when I used to attend. It was quite an adventure for me as I used to catch the No. 11 bus to Six Ways, Erdington and walk along Gravelly Hill North to Cecil Road.

I remember a concert held at the old YMCA building in Reservoir Road before they built the newer Y in the l960's. The only place around Erdington that had a stage in those days that was close to Cecil Road. The Church House in the High Street had a stage also. I've got an idea that I went with the dancing school for a concert there as well. I saw ballet with a junior ballet dancer on pointes for the first time in this concert and remember the music that was used. The ballet dancer was dressed as a bumble bee! I also remember singing "Happy Days are Here Again" and also a song called "Come to the Market". I was hopeless at Acro and always envied those girls who could do this type of thing to music. They were so good.
I did learn to tap dance reasonably well- Shuffle, Hop, Step. Wow, that's going back. I had a pair of ballet slippers and a blue tambourine.

Must have been exciting to do the panto at the Aston Hipp, Lynda. I was
always interested in the smaller dancers when we went to the pantomime and also the percussion part of the orchestra. Happy Days.

It was fun but I don't think I carried on very long.

Lynda Harvey

Brummie Born and Bred
Thanks for your reply Jenny Ann. It's suprising what good memories some of us have you know. I know I went to Ann Harris's, but don't remember how I got there. I reckon we used to walk up Hunton Hill, as we lived off Slade Road. I think my tap shoes were white with big white ribbons in a bow.It probably was the same time period when I went there. We may even had rubbed shoulders.:0431:

Best wishes
Lynda