• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

anglo saxon

It was found near Brownhills.........not sure if this is West Midlands they kept mentioning yesterday!

They are keeping the exact location secret, they just said Staffordshire.
No doubt it will go to London and they end up keeping it

bren

I believe this hoard has now been classed as treasure trove, does that mean it belongs to the government or the owner of the land, or the finder. What a wonderful find.

belongs to govt but finder will get half of value for reward. I think brownhills as well. Wife going tomorrow.

I think because the finder asked the farmer if he could scan his land, both share the money, roughly at the moment £500,000 each, if having found it and declared it without this permission being given, the finder would get nowt.

bren

From what they say its got to be worth many millions so I think bren your right ....govt 50% farmer 25%,,,,,,Finder 25%

I believe this hoard has now been classed as treasure trove, does that mean it belongs to the government or the owner of the land, or the finder. What a wonderful find.

Hi Brum Baby

The law was changed in 1997 by the Treasure Act 1996, and the distinction between 'treasure trove' which was defined as precious
items which were hidden with a view to later recovery, and items
which were simply lost, was removed. Any precious metal objects,
or 2 or more coins over 300 years old and containing a minimum of
10% precious metal would come under the act, and I believe belong
to the Crown. The difference now as I understand it is that a finders fee is payable which is equal to the market value of the items, and not a
trifling reward which gave no incentive to declare the find. Normally
the fee is split between the landowner and the finder.

Kind regards

Dave

From BBC news site... BBC correspondent Nick Higham said the hoard would be valued by the British Museum and the money passed on to Mr Herbert and the landowner.

All the farmers will be buying detectors now and stopping these enthusiast's going on their land so if you have an old one in the loft, get it on ebay LOL

bren

As I pass the site nearly every day where the treasure was found, we noticed a few months ago men with markers pacing round this field.
Then a few weeks later men appeared with spades and wheelbarrows. I said to my wife, looks like Time Team are looking for buried treasure.
Then last night we switched the T.V. to watch the news, and there was the field where we had seen the men digging.
(Off to buy a metal detector now!! L.O.L)

Last edited:
John, with all that open land around you i think you had better get the wife one as well, you can cover twice the area then

bren

Sound's about parr for the course, i bet she would still want her share if you found some though

Last edited by a moderator:
New ale launched for the Staffordshire hoard

Nov 19 2009 Another brilliant Colin Whittock cartoon. Len.
new-ale-launched-for-the-staffordshire-hoard-234397113.jpg

“I thought they were unusually keen to form an archaeological group to find more Staffordshire Gold – it’s a new beer...

Last edited:
I went to see the Gold Hoard we had to wait about 3 hours but it was well worth it, the intricacy of the filgree work and the quality of the workmanship was magnificent. I will definitely go and see it again if and when it comes back to Birmingham, hopefully next time we won't have to queue.

How lovley Sylvia, I would very much liked to have seen it. When there was an exhibnition of Tutankhamun's grave contents on in London, we were living in Berlin. It was half term for our son Steve and I was spending it with him in London, we passed the British Museum in a taxi and when I saw the queues I decided that we hadn't enough time to go. I have regretted it ever since.

I may be a little bit cynical but. Do you think this grant annouced to day for the museum, is London's way of saying it aint coming back.

I've just come in from a metal-detecting expedition in our back garden. I have a Heinz Baked Bean tin (without label) circa 2003, and a small bottle-opener I could have sworn was in the left-hand drawer of our dresser the other week.

Are these artifacts worth anything?

Big Gee

we could be a tribe:) .......The Beormingas (/ˈbeɪ.ɔːrmɪŋɡəs/; from Old English) were a tribe or clan in Anglo-Saxon England, whose territory possibly formed a regio or early administrative subdivision of the Kingdom of Mercia. The name literally means "Beorma's people" in Old English, and Beorma is likely to have been either the leader of the group during its settlement in Britain or a real or legendary tribal ancestor. The name of the tribe is recorded in the place name Birmingham, which means "home of the Beormingas.

Back