• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Angel Inn - Coleshill Street

EmmaGoodgion

After any infomation on the above Public House, My ancestor managed it in 1911 and was looking for anything in relation to the pub, exspecially and pics..

The Angel was At 63 (or 63½) Coleshill St. It was on the north side of Coleshill St towards the eastern end, and can be seen on the 1889 map below. It was an early pub, there was a “horse repository” there in 1773. and, according to McKenna, regular horse sales were held in the pub yard . The licence was called in (along with many others) in 1915 when the numbers of pubs was reduced. At this time it is listed as 63½ Coleshill St, but sometimes it has been listed as at 63, with another business at 63½. The kandlords I have for the place are:
1841 Heathcote , Richard
1845 Ludlow, William
1849 Lines, John (also listed as livery stable keeper.)
1855-1858 Scambler, John
1862 Hamlin, Henry Whiting,
1863-1873 Osborn , Mrs Elizabeth
1876-1884 Campbell John
1888-1895 Evans, James
1896-1908 Affleck, Ralph

mapc1889angelInncoleshillst.jpg

1910 Pearman, Benjamin Frank
1912 Affleck, John James (executors of)
1913 Pearman, Frank
1915 Cox, William H.

Greetings
I read your article on The Angle Pub in Coleshill Street Birmingham
Indeed my Grandfather was the Licensee for The Angle Pub then he took on the Castle And Falcon in Digbeth
his name was Frank Pearman
If anyone has more information regarding the Pubs please inform me.
I see the dig in Park Street for the HS2 has located many bodies I have a feeling some relatives might be buried there
Kind regards
John Mills

Hi John

I can tell you that the Castle & Falcon was on the corner of Meriden Street and Digbeth next door to what was then Morgans Sausages. I think it closed in the late 50's early 60's the building remains and has been used for various uses since.

I have attached a pic of the Angel Inn (from a member who asked me to paint a watercolour of it) but was led to believe it was in Stratford Road, unless of course there was more than one. EricStratford Rd Angel 1870 (2).jpg

Eric

There was more than one, that one is the one that was on the corner of Stratford Road and Ladypool Road Sparkbrook. It's still there, but alas no longer a public house.

hi, Thank you for more details regarding where my mother was bought up at the Castle & Falcon in Digbeth
I recollect they had a cat ( called Black'y) who use to go walkabouts especially next doors roof ( Morgans Sausages)
Morgans were not very pleased I gather to see foot prints in the Lard drying in pans left on the flat roof.
My Grandfather managed The Angel Pub, 63 Coleshill st, Digbeth also, has anyone pictures of the Pub?
what was told me the horses were stabled there, before taking beer around the area.

Another question does any body know about death registers for the cemetery in Park Street recently being dug because of HS2
Thanks
JWM

The Park St cemetery was an overflow to the St Martins one, and, as I understand it, apparently there was no differentiation between people buried in St Martins and Park St, so they all went on the same registers

Greetings
I read your article on The Angle Pub in Coleshill Street Birmingham
Indeed my Grandfather was the Licensee for The Angle Pub then he took on the Castle And Falcon in Digbeth
his name was Frank Pearman
If anyone has more information regarding the Pubs please inform me.
I see the dig in Park Street for the HS2 has located many bodies I have a feeling some relatives might be buried there
Kind regards
John Mills
I’m a metal detecting enthusiast and have just come off a dig in Ludlow, Shropshire. Interestingly I dug up a token with the inscription Andrew Goode ,Angel Inn, Coleshill st. Birmingham. On the reverse of the token is the number 21/2 , underneath is the inscription St Paul’s sq Birmingham.
Just as a point of interest....

I’m a metal detecting enthusiast and have just come off a dig in Ludlow, Shropshire. Interestingly I dug up a token with the inscription Andrew Goode ,Angel Inn, Coleshill st. Birmingham. On the reverse of the token is the number 21/2 , underneath is the inscription St Paul’s sq Birmingham.
Just as a point of interest....
very interesting mick...hopefully someone on here can check the landlords name and date the pub token...great find if you could post a photo of it that would be smashing

lyn

very interesting mick...hopefully someone on here can check the landlords name and date the pub token...great find if you could post a photo of it that would be smashing

lyn
Hi Lyn,
I will attempt to post it now....I’ve done a bit of research on this token, I don’t believe that Andrew Goode was a Landlord, this would of been the issuer. If you google the information there is a copy of this exact token in the British Museum, I should have taken a note of the item number....☹️......
It’s the bottom token on the photo, the top one is far far older....BDA37E40-F610-473D-B8AF-CD3597C5F4C8.jpegA84C412F-43E2-437E-8CD2-5ACC6D385297.jpeg

The acquisition date would be from around 1870.......the token would have been worth 2 1/2 d or the equivalent of one penny. This would have been used to give many ales to someone, I have no idea why it would have ended up in a field in Ludlow!!!!

The token with that landlord (presumably the same, though no photo) is listed in R.N.P.Hawkins "Guide list of Public Houses on metallic checks 1830-1910." and a sample is in the British museum collection. The book atributes it to "probably 1858 0r 1860" There is no mention of St Pauls Square in the listing.
Checking directories available to me, the pub landlord in the 1861 census lists Henry Hamlyn.

Added. Just seen you do not think he was landlord, which fits with above

The advert in the previous post was put in newspapers from February 1860. As can be seen from cuttings below he only took the place over in april 1859, and handed licence over in 'Aug. 1860. No wonder he did not appear in the directories. Surprised he had time to have tokens made

angel.   aris.birm gaz. 27.6.1859.jpgangel. birm J. 9.4.1859.jpgangel. Birm. J. 4.8.1860.jpg

Attachments

• Angel.Birm journal.. 3.3.1860.jpg
    Angel.Birm journal.. 3.3.1860.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 3
great info mike so as i thought andrew goode was the landlord and that is quite an old pub token

lyn

Back