• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Andrews of Birmingham Looking for connections

C

cathrynandrews

Hi to All

I have recently started doing my family tree. Mainly because I have grandparents i Never met and being nosey but interested thought i would try to trace the Andrews family tree.

I was born in Smethwick, my father and all the way down the line a Andrews was in Birmingham to 1700s

My grand mother Harriet Mildred Clayton married a William Henry Andrews in 1927. But my problem being is that there are so many of them.

I am trying to trace connections to Gwendoline Andrews of Dyas road Kingstanding? William Andrews who married a Jean? from the same area.

Any relations to a Harriet clayton. born 1898 kings norton.

I appreciate any information, as the birth certs and marriage certs are costing a fortune.

many thanks :)

Welcome & search help to come

Hello & Welcome Cathryn :)

Researching Andrews/Clayton, B,ham & Dyas Road Kingstanding ,
Ok,,if you are a resident of B,ham then for your 1902 through 1920,s
& up to 1950,s etc then the Electoral Rolls in B,ham Libraries are the
way to go,, your local Library has Computer access to B,ham card,
The 1912,1918 (absent voters -WW1) & 1920, 1925, 193, 1935
are all on line to view by address (Dyas etc & Surnames ).

Your 1901 census & further back,,ppl on here will lend a hand,
Just post what you have as acurate as poss then Bingo,,:rolleyes: Ok
Best regards & enjoy the Forum,
ps I think there are Clayton,s already posted here somewhere?

Hi Cathryn

There was a Harriet M Clayton living 125 Nelson Road (Handsworth?) in 1901. Born about 1898. Dad was Samuel. Mom was Catherine A. Is this the one. Found on 1901 census
Steve

Hi again Cathryn

If this was the right Harriet Clayton then her Mom was possibly Catherine Ada McCullogh who married Samuel Clayton in 1886.

In which case Catherine was born about 1867 daughter of Gilbert and Eliza and in 1881 living 102 Longmore Street, Kings Norton. Dad was a cab driver Mom was a shopkeeper.

Is this the right one/ Do you already have this info?

More where that came from if you need it!

Steve

Clayton Update

Hi Cathryn :) & that looks good work Steve C, nice one m8 ;)

Harriet Mildred Clayton bornJuly/Aug/Sept Quarter 1897
Kings Norton (B,ham Reg Office) reference Volume 6c page 419

Cheers Cathryn :cool: J Y

Hi Cathryn

First the marriage --

William Andrews/Harriet M Clayton 3rd qtr 1927 Birmingham N 6d 1149

Children of above --

William Andrews mmn Clayton 2nd qtr 1929 Birmingham N 6d 679

Gwendoline K Andrews mmn Clayton 4th qtr 1930 Birmingham N 6d 616

John Andrews mmn Clayton 4th qtr 1935 Birmingham 6d 756

I assume it is the William born 1929 whose marriage you are after, have you tried this one to a famous Brummy name --

William Andrews/ Jean F N Taroni 4th qtr 1950 Birmingham 9c 354

Hope this helps

bren

Hi Cathryn

This could be the marriage of --

Gwendoline K Andrews/James Lorimer 4th qtr 1950 Birmingham 9c 1122

bren

Cathryn, Does this fit the bill...?

William Andrews born Greet, Birmingham about 1896

Dad was William; Mom was Emma (born Wolverhampton)

They could be the William and Emma who married in Kings Norton 1895
in which case she was Emma Cole born 1874

The 1901 census shows William Senior as a cellarman living in the Bordesley area

Hope this is all of use to you

Steve

Thankyou all-

Firstly i am so pleased that i have so much advice and help on tracing the connections to my tree.

Steve, the reply that William Henry Andrews had a mother called Emma, is this the only william Henry you came accross.
I went on Ancestry earlier and it brought up 3 marriages, all for William Henry Andrews with in days of each other from Birmingham
I then tried the births and this brought up several William Henry Andrews all wthin Birmingham areas.
How do I determine which one is my William Henry.

I managed to get information on Gwendoline Andrews and found she still lives down Dyas Road today, although she has forgotten alot of things.
She also like my father doesnt know her Grandparents or father very well as William Andrews left his wife Jean sometime after my father was born aparantly. Sad really. I do know that my William Henry moved away from Birmingham possibly Wolverhampton but not definitely there.

Hi Cathryn

Can i suggest that you get the William/Harriet marriage cert of 1927, on there you will get full names, ages, occupation and the full name of both fathers plus his occupation, it will help narrow the field down hopefully.

bren

Hi Brenn

I have already sent of for marriage cert this afternoon.

Cant spend anymore money now on doing this tree,

i got made redundant today. I went from 39 hyrs down to 6hrs now nothing at all, not a good day.:)

Hi Cathryn

Sorry about your redundancy; will try to get some more info to you later.

I think that one branch of the Taroni family lived on Hawthorn Road in the early 60's

Steve

Cathryn

I see mention of Jean Taroni living with hubby William Andrews on road near Dyas Road...

In 1973 phone book is W Andrews at 92 Delhurst Avenue which is next to Dyas Road, Great Barr - at back of Great Barr School

Steve

Cathryn

There are a few William Andrews on 1901 census born 1890 to 1899 - all possible I suppose. I agree with the earlier posting from Bren - best to get the marriage cert when he married Harriet. I see you have sent for this so it may be with you early next week. There is every chance his fathers name was also William and this was the case on some on census results - but his fathers age and occupation could help to make it certain.

Let us know what you find

Steve

Andrews connection- I am positively stuck

I got the marriage cert of my grandfather William Henry Andrews born 1900 Laobourer and Married a Harriet Mildred Clayton 1 August 1927. William 27yrs old Harriet was 30.

Her father was Samuel Clayton, Coachman 105 Brookvalle Park road Erdington Bham

William's father was Henry Andrews Cabinet Maker, 7 Kerby road, Hockland green Erdington Bham.

According to this cert, Henry had already died before William had got married.
Because of so many henry Andrews and i cant get 1901 census with willian and Henry on I cannot find out when born or who Henry married.

an anyone help me out please.

Stockland Green

Hi Catherine :) Just a quick note;;
That address would be Stockland Green, Erdington
This is situated at top of Slade Road which runs up from junction
with Aston,, Island at the bottom under Spaghetti Junction
Its also probably Kirby Road , i not heard of a Kerby Road ?
Also its Brookvale Park Road (not Brookvalle)
others may know or have better transcribed copy,,
Cheers John Y :cool:

Last edited:
thanks

Johnny,

I suppose its the way they write on the certs.

Stockland Green I agree, but it definitly states 7 Kerby road, but it could have been mispelt i suppose.

I just wish i could get this all figured out. Trying to get info on Henry Andrews is like trying to go to the moon on a skateboard.

apologies

I meant John

Sorry iwent back in time when my father was called johnny,lol:)

William Henry Andrews

Yo Catherine :) another quick note,
There are several William Henry Andrews born in vicinity 1896-1904
The "probable" is !900 if he gave right age on Marriage (older bride etc)

William Henry Andrews born 1900 July/Aug/Sept quarter
B,ham Register volume 6d page 14

As i say its only a "probable" needa cross-referencing before
ordering certificate,,
Oyher "maybe"s William Henry Andrews,,,,
1897 B,ham , Oct/Nov/Dec Qu 6d pg 6
1897 B,ham, July/Aug/Sept Qu 6d pg 152
1904 B,ham, Jan/Feb/March Qu 6d pg 399

Others close at Tamworth & Solihull,,

ps Electoral Rolls will have some info on those Address,s
& names , Males voting ages etc,
Cheers John Y :cool: