• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

ANDERTON STREET LADYWOOD

Hi there ,thanks for the pictures ,my name is Paul wade and i lived at 1/98 Anderton street next to the dowdalls ,back to back houses, shared toilets and the brewhouse , plus there was a air raid shelter, we used to play in the rec in lower Anderton street, play football ect ,also there was the roller rink which i loved to go to ,brings back many memories.

The Lillington photo has some details of this thread, but any of them have gone now. Presumably, in that thread, the bus stop mentioned is the same as in the photo?
The tram tracks are still there, not yet lifted which suggests a date of after June 1947 and probaby before late 1948 when the 33 route ceased and bus 95 replaced it.

The Lillington photo has some details of this thread, but any of them have gone now. Presumably, in that thread, the bus stop mentioned is the same as in the photo?
The tram tracks are still there, not yet lifted which suggests a date of after June 1947 and probaby before late 1948 when the 33 route ceased and bus 95 replaced it.

Attachments

• sandpits01.jpg
    sandpits01.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 44
Hi

This is a photo of my paternal Grandfathers business at the Sandpits, Ladywood.
My maternal Grandparents lived in Anderton street which was effectively behind the Sandpits in one of the well known " Back to Backs ".
I have memories of visiting my Moms family in Anderton Street and having to use the outside Privvy as well as going to play on the "Reck" which was a playground for kids in the same area.
I also remember working with my Dad on a Saturday at the shop and we used to go out in the van delivering furniture and doing house removals.
My Mom was a keen ice skater at Spring Hill Ice Rink in her youth and I went there went it became a Roller Rink, I also have vague recollections of some music concerts being held there.
My Dads family business used to also include a garage on the corner but that got destroyed in a fire and was never reinstated.
Bulpitts I remember as being the the factory closest to the shop and there was also the Swan Works further up the road.
My Dad used to do very long hours at the shop with his brothers and sisters and I even remember him working Christmas Day doing deliveries, but at the end of the day him and his brother would always cross the the road outside the shop to go for a pint at the Stores public house.

hi chris and welcome....some super memories you have there...its possible our paths crossed at spring hill rollar rink..i was going there 4 or 5 nights a week right up until the night it closed without warning...happy days

lyn

hi chris and welcome....some super memories you have there...its possible our paths crossed at spring hill rollar rink..i was going there 4 or 5 nights a week right up until the night it closed without warning...happy days

lyn
Hi

I would like to think so, but all I really remember is falling over and thinking this is not for me.
I always remember how my mom loved it there when it was an ice rink and she had very fond memories .

We lived for a short while above the shop, which had a couple of flats and I remember having a bath in a tin tub in front of the fire, but my kids don't believe that.
My first school was Nelson Street, just down the road, and that was really rough from memory, but I only was there for my first year and then we moved into a house in a different area.

The Sandpits business was compulsary purchased under Birminghams grand re-developement scheme eventually and had to relocate to new premises on Dudley Road opposite the hospital .
The amount of stock they had to leave at the Sandpits established many a second hand furniture business in Birmingham at little cost. I remember how my Dad and his brother used to go to Army Surplus sales to by stock, the one time they nearly came to an end by crashing over a bridge at Evesham on the way back.

snivel away:) i did when i found photos of the street where i was born so i do understand just how important they are to you...you are quite welcome to save them..if i find anymore i will post them on this thread for you

lyn
Dear Astoness
Thank you so much for these photographs of Anderton Street. I'm doing family history and my Smith side of the family lived at 117,119,121 Anderton Street known by baptism records, census, and birth certificates 1888 to 1892. They may have been there prior to 1888. Walter Albert Smith my mothers father born 121 Anderton street 1892. How do I get copies to complete my history. Many Thanks

Dear Astoness
Thank you so much for these photographs of Anderton Street. I'm doing family history and my Smith side of the family lived at 117,119,121 Anderton Street known by baptism records, census, and birth certificates 1888 to 1892. They may have been there prior to 1888. Walter Albert Smith my mothers father born 121 Anderton street 1892. How do I get copies to complete my history. Many Thanks
hi woodhall glad you liked the photos...just save them to your pc or lap top and if you have a printer you are welcome to print them off

lyn

Hi all,

I'm hoping you may be able to help me. My dad was born at 5 back 66 Anderton Street in 1961 to an Irish dad and a Cypriot mother. My grandfather sadly died during an accident at work in 1963 and my grandmother raised the children herself. Does 5 back 66 mean this was a back-to-back house at 66 Anderton Street? Also, very long shot but I wonder if anyone remembers the family. They were the Smiths and definitely lived there from at least 1960 to 1963 though it's probable they lived there before 1960 and after 1963.

Best,

Felix

Felix.
You can see from the 1950s map below that back no 66 was in a terrace, also called Ferndale tplace , but not back to backs,

map 1950s showing 5 back 66 Anderton st.jpg

Hi all,

I'm hoping you may be able to help me. My dad was born at 5 back 66 Anderton Street in 1961 to an Irish dad and a Cypriot mother. My grandfather sadly died during an accident at work in 1963 and my grandmother raised the children herself. Does 5 back 66 mean this was a back-to-back house at 66 Anderton Street? Also, very long shot but I wonder if anyone remembers the family. They were the Smiths and definitely lived there from at least 1960 to 1963 though it's probable they lived there before 1960 and after 1963.

Best,

Felix
Hi Felix
My Smith family (on my mothers side) lived at 117,119,121 Anderton Street between 1888, 1892 according to birth certificates and census. I have recently received a marriage certificate of a Henry William Smith who married a Doris Thorp on 28 August 1934 who lived at 68 Anderton Street.
Best Wishes
Andrew Woodhall

Hi Felix
My Smith family (on my mothers side) lived at 117,119,121 Anderton Street between 1888, 1892 according to birth certificates and census. I have recently received a marriage certificate of a Henry William Smith who married a Doris Thorp on 28 August 1934 who lived at 68 Anderton Street.
Best Wishes
Andrew Woodhall
From what I understand, my grandfather, Michael Smith, was the first of the Smiths in my family to have moved to the UK. He emigrated from County Mayo at some point after the end of WWII.

Hi - I hope there is still someone out there logged in. I am tracing my father's family. Have managed to find his grandfather - Abraham Tuckman - in the 1891 census. They lived at 9 Anderton Street - the maps you have kindly attached show the higher numbers - were the lower numbers similar - ie back to backs. Does anyone know what accommodation was like - kitchen/parlour? outside privy? How many bedrooms upstairs? I am just trying to imagine what life must have been like back then. Thank you.

T
Hi - I hope there is still someone out there logged in. I am tracing my father's family. Have managed to find his grandfather - Abraham Tuckman - in the 1891 census. They lived at 9 Anderton Street - the maps you have kindly attached show the higher numbers - were the lower numbers similar - ie back to backs. Does anyone know what accommodation was like - kitchen/parlour? outside privy? How many bedrooms upstairs? I am just trying to imagine what life must have been like back then. Thank you.
Thanks for this. It looks as by the 50s that top section of the street - from 1 to 12 or so - had been demolished but the pictures are really helpful.

Back