• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

And you thought spiders were scary

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
Ian AOFB sent me this, I went cold:shocked:

How would you like to find this on the side of your trash can!!!!!!! (or anywhere!!!!) --

This is a Coconut Crab.

Coconut Crab (Birgus latro) is the largest terrestrial arthropod in the world. It is known for its ability to crack coconuts with its strong pincers

in order to eat the contents. It is sometimes called the robber crab because some coconut crabs are rumored to steal shiny items

such as pots and silverware from houses and tents The second photo gives you a good idea of how large these crabs are

- a coconut crab is seeking food from a black trashcan.

download

download

COCONUT CRABS

The coconut crab is a large edible land crab related to the hermit crab, and are found in the tropical Indian and Pacific Oceans .

They eat coconuts for a living! How would you like to be on an island and come across a crab that is more than 3 feet from head to tail

and weighs up to 40 pounds, with a pair of large pincers strong enough to open coconuts!

They can climb trees too, but they only eat coconuts that have already fallen to the ground.

Coconut crab meat has been considered a local delicacy.

And you're afraid of spiders??!!!!

Not so big, but I came across live hermit crabs living on the top of Mount Royal on Canouan Island (870ft) in the Grenadines.

Frothy - you can see them as they are already on your computer. Right click and save them to your hard drive then you can upload them.

Yesterday evening whilst watching tv, i saw a very large spider running along the carpet. I managed to catch it & released it in the garden. A couple of hours later i saw another large spider running along the carpet, which i caught & released at the very top of the garden. I wagged my finger at it & said "Now find your way home you little bugger" Went into the bathroom this morning & there in the bath was a large spider. I caught it & took it about a hundred yards into a nearby field & released it again. It may have been the same spider each time & recognised good lodgings when he found them, & that`s why it kept coming back. I`m not really frightened of spiders but i`m wary of the big ones:cold_sweat:.

Yesterday evening whilst watching tv, i saw a very large spider running along the carpet. I managed to catch it & released it in the garden. A couple of hours later i saw another large spider running along the carpet, which i caught & released at the very top of the garden. I wagged my finger at it & said "Now find your way home you little bugger" Went into the bathroom this morning & there in the bath was a large spider. I caught it & took it about a hundred yards into a nearby field & released it again. It may have been the same spider each time & recognised good lodgings when he found them, & that`s why it kept coming back. I`m not really frightened of spiders but i`m wary of the big ones:cold_sweat:.

For reference...

http://home.bt.com/news/science-news/britains-most-poisonous-spider-revealed-11363930209761

This is the time of year when spiders become more noticeable. They do seem to like an indoor environment, but others are to be seen with their webs in many parts of the garden. Dew highlights the webs.
It is fascinating to watch a web being woven and if one is damaged the occupant soon repairs it.

We get a large spider that runs across our living room carpet at night, it seems to be an Autumn event. I don't mind the spiders, they seem to keep down other vermin, (We ain't had a double glazing salesman for yonks).

Back