• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ancient and Modern

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
Yesterday I travelled from Marylebone to Birmingham and back on a train run by Britain's latest railway company, Wrexham and Shropshire Railway. The main reason was that the Virgin main line through Rugby was closed for the weekend again, and I guessed the alternative Chiltern Railways service which can only run eight-car trains, could be a bit overcrowded. And that was a good reason for trying out the new service, which turned out to be quite a bit cheaper than Chiltern, son it was quite an interesting change, although I knew I had to travel through to Tame Bridge station, a new interchange on the A 4031 main road between West Brom and Walsall. In fact the train stopped at High Wycombe for a few minutes, Banbury (where the doors were unlocked to let passengers on), and Birmingham New Street, so the journey took a total of 2 hours 24 minutes, plus the time getting a train back from there to New Street.
But it was a very enjoyable journey like the old days. The three-car train had one second-class saloon, one first only saloon and one buffet dining car, with a counter, kitchen area and first-class dining area in the rest of the space. I had a reserved seat in the second-class coach but could have moved to sumptuous seating in the first-only car, which was available to second-classers yesterday. The coaches date from the late 1960s and have air-conditioning (you can't open the windows), but the seating is all arranged back and forward facing - none of this horrible air line stuff. The loo was as they were in those days: but the best bit was the buffet. They offered a small selection of meals and snacks (free for first-class passengers), which atre made to order. I ordered a cheese sandwich was delievered on a china plate with serviette to my seat. It did cost £2.95, but the prefabricated and wrapped ones in M&S are about that price I believe.
All in all, a bit of a time warp - so while the rest of you were having your 60's nite at the Tally Ho, I celebrated mine on a 60's train.
Peter

Peter your journey sounded wonderful I am so pleased as you never know trying new avenues. We had a lovely time but also remembered those who could not be with us. The maps you have done for the site are truly wonderful I will treasure them worth every penny and a good cause to boot...........thats just like you Peter....thank you Wendy.

I was definitely along on that train journey Peter...did you feel a spirit in the vicinity. Great description and I especially liked the fact that the seating
was just like it used to be. I thought the sandwich price was very fair
really. You can pay a lot more for a sandwich these days. The fact that there was a decent buffet car impressed me. Thanks for posting
your latest train adventure.

Thanks for that, Peter.

The Wrexham and Shropshire was formed in response to a clamour over many years for the re-establishment of a direct service from Shrewsbury and beyond to London. For yonks anyone west of Wolverhampton has had to undergo the horrors of New Street in order to get to and from The Smoke. As you say it is a leisurely and civilised way to travel which takes one back in time more than a bit. But I understand that journey times are due to be significantly reduced in the near future. And the current, traditional carriages are temporary whilst a major refurbishment of other rolling stock is carried out.

After Tame Bridge and Wolverhampton it trundles on out into the sticks, to Cosford (for the RAF Museum), Telford, Wellington, Shrewsbury, Gobowen, Chirk, Ruabon (for Llangollen) and Wrexham.

It's a creditable effort, they are trying hard and it deserves to thrive.

Chris

Back