• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

An unidentified object on a disused churchyard

I also agree with Morturn. I walked over 2000 miles with my late mucker, and we nearly always stopped and had a cup of tea in the Churchyards that we passed by. There were many benches available for the traveller to rest and contemplate, and by far the most were peaceful places. Beautiful ancient yew trees and no lack of bird life to share your sandwiches!

I must say that we never felt any unease whatsoever.

Over 250 of the Churches can be seen from this Tag...

https://www.panoramio.com/user/2465971/tags/English Churches

Since the posting Google closed down panoramio and therefore the link disappeared. If you want to see a few churches and churchyards they are now on Ipernity...

viv this is from the st james london dig....seems very similar to what was found in your article..think i have paused the video at 52 mins to start where they show us what they found in one coffin...

Yes Lyn, think so. I’ve seen details of another method where explosives were attached, so if anyone tried to remove the body, they’d blow themselves up. People must have been very seriously concerned about this to go to such lengths.

The programme talked about it being legal to remove a body from a grave but illegal to steal anything else. Madness. Must have been a relief when the law eventually caught up. Viv.

yes viv i would imagine when the new law was passed about body snatching it was relief...although not in brum i found this episode fascinating...the sheer numbers of people buried in one place is mind boggling...

lyn

It brings to mind the tradition which I believe still continues in West Indian communities of members of the family themselves all helping to fill in the grave immediately after the coffin is placed in the ground, though, I gather , more to ensure nothing is stolen from the grave , rather than the body

Back