• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

An old photograph of Brum

rowan

Born a Brummie
I had posted this on the forum before it was hacked and I found it again today so I thought I would repost it. I have tried to post it on the new forum but I seem to be doing something wrong!!

Can someone please identify where this is? It was amongst my late mother's pictures and she did work in town at Tangye & ?? (solicitors) I think in the early 1940's.

Attachments

• img004.jpg
    img004.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 150
Do you mean where it was taken from or the prominent building in the foreground because no idea but I think the large double roofed building is one half of New St station with the other less prominent half across Queen St (?), you can see a train below the row of buildings on Worcester St (?). The church is St Martin's and the columned building in front of it is the old Market Hall I think.

I'm sure more knowledgeable members will correct me if I've gotten anything wrong.

It looks to me if the photo was taken from The College of Technology on Suffolk Street looking out across Navigation Street toward Hill Street and New Street Station.

Phil is right, as you might expect. Here is a copy of photo and map with approximate simialr areas in same colours on photo and map. I think the red cross marks the position of the photographer

Attachments

• map c 1950 around NS station.jpg
    map c 1950 around NS station.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 61
  • NS station fromtop college Technology showing buildings.jpg
    NS station fromtop college Technology showing buildings.jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 66
Went to Suffolk St. tech (Matthew Boulton) for a couple of years at the end of the 50's and one of our classrooms looked down on to Navigation St. so this view was familiar. The Bristol Rd. buses lined up along here at their terminus.

I spotted this Bert Hardy photograph on the London Photographers Gallery website as they have a small exhibition of his work on at the moment.
It's just titled 'Birmingham' - looks like it might be the Digbeth area?

Birmingham_5718af194f39a.jpg

A much belated thanks to both Phil and Mikejee. It could be the place that my late Stepfather worked at in the late 1950 early 60's.

Again many thanks to you both xx

Back