• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

An 1840s Guide Book to Great Britain

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Warwickshire ought to be in this 1840 Harwood's Scenery of Great Britain, but I became absorbed in identifying other places that I knew as Harwood's pictures are so delightfull. Worthing, Portsmoth, Southampton, Tunbridge Wells & many other places are depicted & its perhaps worth a trawl to see if you recognise any of the views.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...=2&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=birmingham&f=false
Some of the families that I researched left Birmingham & I found it fascinating to see what attracted them to pastures new. The book is almost a holiday brochure, or a sort of GB Grand Tour for those that did not want to cross the channel.

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
A delight to browse Bordesleyexile. Surprisingly quite a few recognisable places such as Brighton, Tunbridge Wells and Broadstairs. The Baths and Pump Room view of Bath is excellent. Enjoyed that tour, thank you. Viv.