• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Amy Jones

ellie

master brummie
This is a needle in a haystack search. I am seeking info on someone with very little details and a very common name.

I am looking for info about an "Amy Jones" family folklore says she was born between 1931 to 1933 possibly in Wales. I did find some details that matched this, but the death details did not seem to match. I have no knowledge of her parent's names.

She married Raymond Bertie Wilkins in 1950. I found record of them living at Thurlestone or Thelbridge Road Birmingham in 1955. I think Raymond had a large family also living in the area.

They also migrated her to Australia in 1955 with 2 children, Raymond and Jacqueline.

It is believed that Amy may have died in the late 1970's in Australia, but I can find no record of her death.

I am wondering if anybody has knowledge of Amy or her husband. My next step is to order their wedding certificate to see if her date of birth is listed and her parents or place of birth.

Many thanks

Ellie

It would be Thurlestone Road in Longbridge. Not sure if this is any help as you may have this already, but the electoral rolls for 1955 show that at 1 Thurlestone road there was Raymond & Winifred Jones, together with Raymond & Amy Wilkins ,( & Francis Murtagh)

Ancestry lists them at 1 Thelbridge Road but that's from the transcript so is possibly wrong and they do run off each other - Richard H & Winifred H Jones.

Richard H Jones married Winifred H John - registered Jun qtr 1928, Pontardawe.

Amy Jones birth registered Sep qtr 1931, Pontardawe.

Definitely had a brother Kenneth R, birth registered Dec qtr 1929, Pontardawe and a sister Blodwen, birth registered Dec qtr 1938, Birmingham.

They are living in Bham for the 1939 register - Richard, Winifred Kenneth, Blodwen and 2 closed records, 1 of which is probably Amy.

There is a Colin Jones, mmn John, registered Dec qtr 1934 in Bham. There is also an Annie W Jones, mmn John, registered Mar qtr 1934 in Pontadawe but there are other Jones/John marriages in Pontadawe.

Last edited:
Ancestry have the address transcribed as Thelbridge but looking at the register shows Mike is right it is Thurlestone.
They sailed for Australia on 21 April 1955 on the Strathaird. See attached section of the passenger list.

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-28_13-17-7.png
    upload_2018-7-28_13-17-7.png
    159.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Winifred Hilda John was born 15 Mar 1909 in Swansea, death registered Feb 1999 Bham. She was the daughter of William John and Amy Thomas.

Amy Thomas was born in Sunderland in 1887 to Welsh parents, registered as Amy Roundtree Thomas.

It would be Thurlestone Road in Longbridge. Not sure if this is any help as you may have this already, but the electoral rolls for 1955 show that at 1 Thurlestone road there was Raymond & Winifred Jones, together with Raymond & Amy Wilkins ,( & Francis Murtagh)
Well there's a turn up I lived at #7 Thurlestone Road, everything from the Bristol road on the right all the way to Sudbury road was the Austin's or commercial there where 4 or 5 house's on the left before Tessal lane had a friend live in 1 Paul Taylor went to Turves Green

This is a needle in a haystack search. I am seeking info on someone with very little details and a very common name.

I am looking for info about an "Amy Jones" family folklore says she was born between 1931 to 1933 possibly in Wales. I did find some details that matched this, but the death details did not seem to match. I have no knowledge of her parent's names.

She married Raymond Bertie Wilkins in 1950. I found record of them living at Thurlestone or Thelbridge Road Birmingham in 1955. I think Raymond had a large family also living in the area.

They also migrated her to Australia in 1955 with 2 children, Raymond and Jacqueline.

It is believed that Amy may have died in the late 1970's in Australia, but I can find no record of her death.

I am wondering if anybody has knowledge of Amy or her husband. My next step is to order their wedding certificate to see if her date of birth is listed and her parents or place of birth.

Many thanks

Ellie

Hi Elle,

This is a coincidence. My nephew is getting married to their grandaughter in November. Bertie died 2003 but I'm unsure about Amy. Their son Chris is still in Canberra. PM me to exchange info.

Cheers,
Carl

I’m Heather Wilkins- Raymond Bertie Wilkins was my paternal grandfather.
Amy died before I was born and left Ray with 5 children to care for on his own ( one being my father Christopher).

I am his son now living and working in Germany as an Artist and practitioner of Natural medicine,( Raymond Richard Wilkins) I am the oldest. Amy died in 1975, Jacqueline the second oldest died I think, around about 2010? Caroline the youngest is now living in Canberra and Jennifer in Queensland and as Heather said Christopher is still living in Canberra

Back