• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ames, Stokes & Stevens Of Hanley Street

throstle

Between 1871 - 1901 a set of Parkes ancestors lived on Hanley Street in Birmingham. Hanley St. still survives but, obviously, the slums of yesteryear have long gone. Address-wise they're listed anywhere from 26 - 37 Hanley Street and are as follows:

Parents
* Eliza Parkes/Weldin/Stokes (this is one is confusing but bear with me)
* Thomas Parkes Snr

Children
* Thomas Arthur Parkes (known as Arthur in the census records)
* Jane Parkes
* Elizabeth Florence Parkes (sometimes referred to as Lizzie)

The Hanley Street address was home to a manufacturer of all things metal - hinges, spoons, forks, brackets, etc. - and was known over the years as:

* Joseph Stokes
* Stokes & Stevens
* Ames & Stokes
* Ames, Stokes & Stevens
* Ames, Stokes & Stevens & Son

The company was in business until the mid-2000s when, sadly, it was closed after 150 years of operation. The factory still exists on Hanley Street but is currently unoccupied and looks rather forlorn. I've attached a photo below of one of their trade ads from 1896.

Anyway, the above Parkes mob all appear to - based on census records - also worked at the factory. All roads point to the business being a family affair until the aforementioned kids moved out, got married and drifted off. My GGF - Thomas Arthur Parkes - joined the army, fought in the Boer and First World Wars, and saw out his days in Smethwick working as a stoker at the Corporation's destructor. He was, literally, a shoveler of sh!t.

So...is there anyone out there researching this particular branch of the Parkes brood? Does anyone know anything about Ames, Stokes & Stevens of Hanley Street? If so, get in touch.

Cheers.

Ames Stokes 1896.jpg

Welcome Throstle. An interesting history and I hope you find others researching the names. Viv.

Between 1871 - 1901 a set of Parkes ancestors lived on Hanley Street in Birmingham. Hanley St. still survives but, obviously, the slums of yesteryear have long gone. Address-wise they're listed anywhere from 26 - 37 Hanley Street and are as follows:

Parents
* Eliza Parkes/Weldin/Stokes (this is one is confusing but bear with me)
* Thomas Parkes Snr

Children
* Thomas Arthur Parkes (known as Arthur in the census records)
* Jane Parkes
* Elizabeth Florence Parkes (sometimes referred to as Lizzie)

The Hanley Street address was home to a manufacturer of all things metal - hinges, spoons, forks, brackets, etc. - and was known over the years as:

* Joseph Stokes
* Stokes & Stevens
* Ames & Stokes
* Ames, Stokes & Stevens
* Ames, Stokes & Stevens & Son

The company was in business until the mid-2000s when, sadly, it was closed after 150 years of operation. The factory still exists on Hanley Street but is currently unoccupied and looks rather forlorn. I've attached a photo below of one of their trade ads from 1896.

Anyway, the above Parkes mob all appear to - based on census records - also worked at the factory. All roads point to the business being a family affair until the aforementioned kids moved out, got married and drifted off. My GGF - Thomas Arthur Parkes - joined the army, fought in the Boer and First World Wars, and saw out his days in Smethwick working as a stoker at the Corporation's destructor. He was, literally, a shoveler of sh!t.

So...is there anyone out there researching this particular branch of the Parkes brood? Does anyone know anything about Ames, Stokes & Stevens of Hanley Street? If so, get in touch.

Cheers.

View attachment 109186

It appears that Eliza Stokes was the illegitimate daughter of Elizabeth Wilden

1851 census - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGZ1-XBM

Thomas Stokes doesn't marry Elizabeth Wilden until 1856, registered Mar, Kings Norton.

Michael John Stokes' mother's maiden name is listed as Green, the later children it's Wilden.

Thomas Arthur's mmn is listed as Stokes, Jane and Elizabeth as Wilden/Wilday - the father registering the births (and not aware of Eliza's illegitimacy until later) could explain the discrepancy.

Last edited:
I can only see one marriage for a Thomas Stokes to a Miss Green and that was an Emma, registered Liverpool, Dec qtr 1851. Is there a connection to Liverpool?

Possibly just a coincidence but there is an Emma Green b1832 in Liverpool, living in Liverpool in 1851 and her father's name is Michael.

Hi,
My great great grandfather was Joseph Stevens. He founded the company which later became known as Ames, Stokes and Stevens. In 1851 he was a pressed hinge manufacturer in Cecil Street. In 1852 he moved to Summer Lane and in 1858 his premises included 37 Hanley Street as well as 16 Summer Lane. The company expanded at 37 Hanley Street until the whole of the "Court" was incorporated into the works, and the court yard itself was roofed over, and several extentions were built.

Joseph was married to Jane Wilden. I believe this was how the Stokes family became involved in the firm. Olive Stokes was still alive in 2010.

In 1887 Joseph died and the company was inherited by his son Henry. Henry already owned several properties in Hanley Street. Henry was still owning and running the company in 1911 after which date I am not sure what happened.

I visited the factory in 2010 by which time things were in decline, mainly due to competion from Sweden, whose goverment were able to subsidize raw materials. My husband took a number of photographs inside & outside the factory which I could down load for you if interested.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes Mrs Superdad.

Last edited:
Hi mrs superdad
I have just picked on your thread and what made me stop and look scrolling up and down the forum
and stopped on your thread is because of the names you put
because you have put half the names that by coincidences are related in one form to me
firstly the name of stokes i have a cousin her name is stokes and married a guy named stokes
and her mother,s name was stevens , that is my name as well as my father was her mothers maiden name
before her mother got married and to be honest i do not know much about her and her husband
and that she lives in Telford and it,s only of just late we made contact with eather after fifty odd years
As i said i thought oh what a coincidence by the names used i thought yo myself
best wishes in your enquireies Astonian,,

Hi,
My great great grandfather was Joseph Stevens. He founded the company which later became known as Ames, Stokes and Stevens. In 1851 he was a pressed hinge manufacturer in Cecil Street. In 1852 he moved to Summer Lane and in 1858 his premises included 37 Hanley Street as well as 16 Summer Lane. The company expanded at 37 Hanley Street until the whole of the "Court" was incorporated into the works, and the court yard itself was roofed over, and several extentions were built.

Joseph was married to Jane Wilden. I believe this was how the Stokes family became involved in the firm. Olive Stokes was still alive in 2010.

In 1887 Joseph died and the company was inherited by his son Henry. Henry already owned several properties in Hanley Street. Henry was still owning and running the company in 1911 after which date I am not sure what happened.

I visited the factory in 2010 by which time things were in decline, mainly due to competion from Sweden, whose goverment were able to subsidize raw materials. My husband took a number of photographs inside & outside the factory which I could down load for you if interested.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes Mrs Superdad.

Hello there and I'm mad at myself for not seeing your reply until now - my apologies. Joseph Stevens was the husband of my 4th great aunt, Jane Wilden. Indeed, the Wildens/Weldins are something of a mystery and a web that I've yet to untangle. Jane's sister - Eliza Wilden - is my GGGM and she went onto marry Thomas Stokes. For about 50 years my paternal Parkes line had a 'relationship' with Ames, Stokes & Stevens and Hanley Street as employees, family members and residents.

I've visited the site of the factory but never saw inside so if you have some photos I'd love to see them. I understand that in the 1970s the then members of the Stevens family sold the firm to new owners who kept its name. As you say though, foreign competition saw its eventual demise which is naturally sad but any company that can survive for over 100 years is a major success in my book.

BTW, elsewhere on this site I have posted a photo of Ames, Stokes, Stevens employees (some of which may be ancestors) which is rather grim to say the least. Check it out as it's a fascinating photo.

Thanks again for the post and, yes, if you could post/send some photos of the factory I'd be delighted. Many thanks indeed.

Cheers,
David

i take it that everyone interested in ames and stokes has seen the photo of the workers??

lyn

Hi David,

Will look out rest of phots of factory etc and post again in a day or so. but here's one to be going on with.

Mr & Mrs Superdad.

Attachments

• hanley street works 24.jpg
    hanley street works 24.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
Hi David,

We visited the factory in 2010 and took about 30 photographs both inside & outside the factory. Quite a big factory but by then only about 5 or 6 staff working there. Although Ames, Stokes & Stevens still existed as a legal entity the families were no longer involved. The factory was leased [or rented?] by the occupants and was on its last legs. What was interesting was that much of the original equipment was still there and lots of examples of hinges etc the factory had made. Here are some photographs that may be of interest.

Attachments

• hanley street works 15.jpg
    hanley street works 15.jpg
    849.4 KB · Views: 47
  • hanley street works 21.jpg
    hanley street works 21.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • hanley street works 29.jpg
    hanley street works 29.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 44
  • hanley street works 35.jpg
    hanley street works 35.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • hanley street works 41.jpg
    hanley street works 41.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • hanley street works 45.jpg
    hanley street works 45.jpg
    823.9 KB · Views: 41
Hello,

Not sure if anyone on this thread is still active? I stumbled across the page while doing a google search of Ames, Stokes, Stevens & Sons Ltd.

My Dad was a director of the company until it closed (approximately 2006), so this was a very interesting post and the photos bought back memories.

We have some photos of the factory, which I can dig out, and are still in touch with the previous owners who may have more. There was a portrait of Joe which was kept in one of the unused back offices. However, I can confirm none of the workers were relatives of the Ames, Stokes & Stevens family unfortunately.

I would be interested to see any photos anyone may have.

Dan

Hello,

Not sure if anyone on this thread is still active? I stumbled across the page while doing a google search of Ames, Stokes, Stevens & Sons Ltd.

My Dad was a director of the company until it closed (approximately 2006), so this was a very interesting post and the photos bought back memories.

We have some photos of the factory, which I can dig out, and are still in touch with the previous owners who may have more. There was a portrait of Joe which was kept in one of the unused back offices. However, I can confirm none of the workers were relatives of the Ames, Stokes & Stevens family unfortunately.

I would be interested to see any photos anyone may have.

Dan
Hi Dan,

Really interested to read your post about A,S & S. Joseph Stevens was a direct ancestor of mine [see various posts above under superdad3].

Do you know the full name of "Joe" in the portrait? It would be wonderful if it was of Joseph Stevens & I would love to see a copy. Do you know what happened to it?

Also it would be really interesting if you could share your photographs on the site. We may have met your Dad on our visit just before the factory closed.

best wishes,

Irene & Roy/Mr & Mrs Superdad

Hi mrs superdad
I have just picked on your thread and what made me stop and look scrolling up and down the forum
and stopped on your thread is because of the names you put
because you have put half the names that by coincidences are related in one form to me
firstly the name of stokes i have a cousin her name is stokes and married a guy named stokes
and her mother,s name was stevens , that is my name as well as my father was her mothers maiden name
before her mother got married and to be honest i do not know much about her and her husband
and that she lives in Telford and it,s only of just late we made contact with eather after fifty odd years
As i said i thought oh what a coincidence by the names used i thought yo myself
best wishes in your enquireies Astonian,,
Hi Astonian,

Just re-reading the Ames, Stokes & Stevens thread. I think we may be distantly related.

My third great, great grandfather was John Wilden born in 1776. he had 5 children. Daughter Jane (1820-1893) married Joseph Stevens (1819-1887) from whom I am descended. Another daughter Elizabeth (b1828) married Thomas Stokes (b1827). This is where the family link between the Wilden, Stokes & Stevens started.

best wishes,

Mrs Superdad3 aka Irene

An interesting thread.

I am currently putting together a history of the large houses and their occupants on the Sutton Road in Erdington that were demolished to make way for the Lyndhurst Estate. Henry Stevens, son of Joseph, lived at Fairlawn later known as Normanhurst in 1891, listed as a hinge manufacturer.

I am going to be posting a series of articles from November 2020 on here and on the Erdington and Sutton Coldfield Facebook History Groups. So I'm on the lookout for photos/information to flesh out their stories.

Hi Astonian,

Just re-reading the Ames, Stokes & Stevens thread. I think we may be distantly related.

My third great, great grandfather was John Wilden born in 1776. he had 5 children. Daughter Jane (1820-1893) married Joseph Stevens (1819-1887) from whom I am descended. Another daughter Elizabeth (b1828) married Thomas Stokes (b1827). This is where the family link between the Wilden, Stokes & Stevens started.

best wishes,

Mrs Superdad3 aka Irene
Irene - an interesting post and it would appear that we're distantly (very distantly) related as well as my line descends from the Wildens. Elizabeth Wilden (1828) had a daughter named Eliza (1850) who married my GGGF, Thomas Parkes. It's at that point that the Parkes mob were 'involved' in the Ames/Stokes/Stevens business and there is plenty of crossover between the Stokes and Stevens families (witnesses at weddings, marrying of siblings, etc.). Birds of a feather definitely flocked together.

While I've managed to piece together who the Stokes and Stevens were, the Ames family have always been hidden from view. I've never been able to find anything on Mr. Ames but, TBF, I haven't dug that deeply either....

I’ve just stumbled across this thread. I may be able to fill in some gaps for people. But first of all here is a photo which might be very interesting to some people.
If anyone wants some more information, let me know.

Attachments

• 6F8CCF48-0317-4F04-A5E0-AF6DCBED2BDB.jpeg
    6F8CCF48-0317-4F04-A5E0-AF6DCBED2BDB.jpeg
    739.1 KB · Views: 12
Back