• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ambulance service

My aunt Daisy (Dorothy) my father’s youngest sister drove an ambulance during WW2. Later she worked for the MEB then moved to London and married my Uncle Herbert. What I remember most they used to go to Royal Ascot each year. She visited my wife and I un the US a few times. Yes, she was my favorite!

By the time these photographs are being taken of these women, what they fully expected to happen, hasn't. Surprise no doubt and also relief - and now, the ordinary work continues. Will they be spared the dreadful times that everyone has been talking about and fearing? We know the answer to that 80 years later. But they don't. Nor even that they are going to go through further months and months of anticipation. Day to day, head down and just get on with it. Everyone is in it together.

Tough times and tough ladies.

Chris

Back