• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aluminium Holloware Works of 27 Rann Street in 1948

Laptop2437

Hello All,

I am trying to locate details of a business called Aluminium Hollowware Works of 27 Rann Street Ladywood, Birmingham around the time of 1948. My dad was born in 1948 and adopted. However, his birth certificate says that his birth mum was a typist at this company. We are trying so hard to see if we can locate her and any siblings etc he may have. It would be so nice to fill a gap of history before it is too late. Any help or advice I would appreciate as this is all so new to us.

There is no mention of the firm in the 1946or 1949 Kellys directories (which would refer to 1945 and 1948 respectively), and no business is listed at no 27 Rann St in either directory

Last edited:
Hi, I was born at 1/No.27 Rann Street. Not a works, a Vic terrace house where Mrs Bishop lived ( I think alone).
She was a lovely kind lady. The devastating storm of 1953 damaged our house and we had to evacuate in the middle of the night. Mrs Bishop at No 27, took us in. Adjacent to us was a factory called 'The County Water Works'? They made soft fizzy drinks.

Hi I have just joined this forum for family research purposes and I came across this.
My Family were in the Holloware business starting in 1960 in Sheepcot Street which is local to Rann Street in Ladywood.
But prior to My Uncle and Father starting up their own business. They worked in a Holloware manufacturer named Salt and Dukes Ltd. They were formed in 1948. I seem to remember them being in ladywood. There was also Bullpit and sons based in Springhill.

Back