• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alum Rock Road

barryjohn

proper brummie kid
I would like to look at the list of shops/businesses on Alum Rock Road (from The Gate to Highfield Road) in different years; for example 1901 and 1951.
What's the easiest way to do this?
barryjohn

Welcome BarryJohn, don't know what to address you as Barry or John.

There is sure to be someone on the Forum later who could help you but my guess is they are all enjoying the Sunshine today or the Cup Final:)

In the meantime if you haven't seen it try this.

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=850&highlight=alum+rock

If you need anything always try the SEARCH Box at the top of the page you will be surprised what you can find there

Last edited:
Hi BarryJohn

If you search Shops on Alum Rock Road, page one, No.2 march 10th Mike Jee has put on 2 links to Kellys, which gives you the list of shops. Hope this will be of some help.
Regards
Carol T

Thanks Alf and Carol.
You were right Alf, the weather was too good to stay in.
I've been in contact with Mike, Carol. I was too thick to find the link you suggested! Mike is emailing me the information I need.
Thanks again to you both for taking the time to answer my question.
Barryjohn

Wendyp started a thread in March "Shops on Alum Rock Road" she was writing an article and there are 131 replies.

You may find something useful there.

Thanks for all the advice. I now have several links to Kelly's directory for Alum Rock Road.
Another query.... For the 1901 census I was given great advice on how to find some streets in Bordesley Green and Small Heath by following Warwickshire - Aston - Deritend and then pages 80+.
Can someone tell me how to find streets in Saltley in the same census?

Back