• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alum Rock Road Shops

Hi, My dad was the manager of McGauley's on Alum Rock Road and we lived above the shop at the time. Me and my sister went to St Saviours and this was at the end of the 60's / till 1977 when Mr McGauley closed the branch. My Dads name was Kenneth (Ken) Wildman and my mom was Trena Wildman. I / we would love to hear from anyone who remembers them around this time?
They would probably have served me, I lived opposite in Reginald Road, I bought my pram and high chair and playpen from McGauleys.

Me too we lived in Reginald road before moving to Wright road in1957 would be regular visitor to collect my Airfix model or railway building from the revolving rack or a new wagon for my train set the layout of the shop as I remember prams on the left as you entered bikes in the middle with a repair section at the back and toys and model making on the right Happy Days fond memories many thanks to your Mom and Dad . PS Also went to ST Saviours.

The last few posts have answered what has been bugging me for quite a while. Around 1960 I joined a savings club with the purpose of buying a triang/hornby Battle of Britain loco and I could never figure out where the shop was (although I knew it was on the same side of the road as the cinema).
Never did get to buy the loco, I had to withdraw the savings for something more pressing, I remember being apprehensive about asking for the money back but they were very understanding about it. Thanks for solving the mystery.

Hi everyone could you please help me out i'm looking for the names of any cafe or coffee shop in Alum Rock Rd in 1948 49 and 50 this would cover the Gate to Woolies i am trying to find out where my inlaws met , my mother in law at the time who was working in a cafe was Freda Dorothy Lewis she lived in Galton st Alma Cres and Inkerman st No 122 where she and her husband Eric Hughes bought their house together before moving to Shard End any information would be appreciated thanks all Rich.

Hi Mike , any thoughts ? on looking at the 56-63 and 68 Kelly's you kindly posted there is no mention of The Village pub on the corner of George Arthur road Alum Rock I know it existed because my Mom and Dad took us there on some Saturday Nights to play out back and in the darts room seems strange its not mentioned when the Tilt Hammer and The Rock pubs are listed cheers Rich.
The village pub was my dads local also,if we had behaved we were allowed to go some Saturday evenings to sit outside in their grounds.

Hi Patricia i have many memories of the village we would go with mom and dad some Saturday evenings during the summer months and sometimes on a Sunday dinnertime i remember on most Saturdays the cockle man would show up and we would have a bag of prawns or cockles that came in a waxed envelope and we would open them up and put your vinegar on them i can taste them now prawns drowned in vinegar lovely he would have all sorts in that wicker basket one thing i would NEVER try was the whelks they looked disgusting !!! and on some Sunday visits the comic man came round and i would get some marvel comics probably be worth a few bob now Happy days thank you for reviving those memories cheers Rich.

Dad would get us winkles,theres no way on earth I would eat them now,we lived at the rear of the Havelock tavern in Phillimore road, and my grandparents had a fish and chip shop at the Pelham (Broadbents)

Hi Patricia, Was your grandparents chip shop opposite Bankdale Rd and would you have come into contact with the Bishop family in Phillimore road I know the Havelock tavern this was just over the road from my aunt and uncles house, we lived in Wright Rd.

Yes and my aunt and uncle had Dunns hairdressers next door.I do know Leslie Bishop we got back in touch a short Time ago,I had friends in Wright rd the Hancox family in particular joan also Jacqueline whalin ,my grandmother lived in Malthouse lane.i went to Nansen rd girls school and my brothers went to Leigh rd.

Thank you for coming back to me. My aunt and uncle lived in Bingly Ave just off Bankdale Rd and when we visited them we would always use that chippy Les Bishop knows us Hirsts very well we haven't spoke on the forum for a while hope he is still following this thread must contact him. Any other memories of the Rock you have i would love to share Ps my Grandmother also lived in Malthouse Lane.

This one is labelled as Alum Rock Road bunting. Was the occasion a coronation? Viv.

View attachment 138552
Hello Vivienne, I came across this picture and it sparked a memory for me. I think this view is the high street looking down to the Saltley viaduct. The building to the right with the Burton Ales on the wall is the the Gate Inn. My first ever job on my own as an apprentice electrician back in 1968-9 was to fit a dart board light in the rear room of this pub ( I was very nervous about that ). The road to the right with the lamp post on I think it the start of the Washwood Heath Road. Opposite on the left would be Adderley Park Road. The Electrical Contractors that I worked for was W. R. Sell and they had a shop opposite the Capital cinema ( Alum Rock RD ) and also one to the right where the lady is walking from. It is at that shop where they did repairs to toasters and irons etc. W.R. Sell had a contract with M&B pubs back then to do there maintenance etc so there is memory that came back to me and this picture. I shall try and remember some more as we go on, I enjoyed this thank you Vivienne kind regards.
Charles G

BLUEBOY
In response to your request for info on Cafe's in Alum Rock (Gate to Woolies). I was born in George Arthur Rd in 1939 and lived there until I married in 1965. The only cafe I recall between the Gate and Woolies was one opposite St. Saviours School, between George Arthur and Reginald Road, which I think you have already indentified. Going up the Rock from George Arthur the shops on the RH side after the Village Tavern Pub were - Lowe's (Butcher), Galliers & Jolly (Cafe) and then Carter's (Newsagent &Toy's). This info was verified from from past records I kept of Kelly's Directory 1950, which unfortunately I no longer have.
Hope this helps!

Hi everyone could you please help me out i'm looking for the names of any cafe or coffee shop in Alum Rock Rd in 1948 49 and 50 this would cover the Gate to Woolies i am trying to find out where my inlaws met , my mother in law at the time who was working in a cafe was Freda Dorothy Lewis she lived in Galton st Alma Cres and Inkerman st No 122 where she and her husband Eric Hughes bought their house together before moving to Shard End any information would be appreciated thanks all Rich.
I have just sent you a reply, but unfortunately it's listed under CharlesG name!

Hi saddlebag, thank you for your reply i didn't know that Cafe thank you for that and the names of the other shops you mentioned. I remember the sweet shop but not sure it was called Carters ? when i was at St Saviours i always got my sweets from Fullbrooks facing Reginald Rd i lived at 41 Reginald Rd from 52 - 57 before moving to Wright Rd so Fullbrooks was on my way to school most convenient for me but not for Moms purse. Was the DIY place, large double fronted shop next to Carters ? there was a gap between the DIY shop fronts i think it was Oldachers ? we used to get our paraffin round the back.Many thanks for the info appreciate it hope to speak again Rich.

I have just sent you a reply, but unfortunately it's listed under CharlesG name!
A few years ago I wrote a book for my grandkids called 'Times around the Gate', about my times living in Saltley. In it I enclosed a listing of the shops in the Rock from Saltley High Street to Bowyer Rd (around 1950). The attached files show the relevant pages.Attach files
Hi saddlebag, thank you for your reply i didn't know that Cafe thank you for that and the names of the other shops you mentioned. I remember the sweet shop but not sure it was called Carters ? when i was at St Saviours i always got my sweets from Fullbrooks facing Reginald Rd i lived at 41 Reginald Rd from 52 - 57 before moving to Wright Rd so Fullbrooks was on my way to school most convenient for me but not for Moms purse. Was the DIY place, large double fronted shop next to Carters ? there was a gap between the DIY shop fronts i think it was Oldachers ? we used to get our paraffin round the back.Many thanks for the info appreciate it hope to speak again Rich.
Hi Rich, the attached files I tried to send appear to be to large. Below is a listing of the shops, taken from Kelly's Directory 1950. The lone numbers generally indicate properties that were still residential.
HIGHFIELD ROAD BOWYER ROAD
199 Harley's (Shoe repairs)
Albt. Turner (Butcher) 188 197 Blindell's Ltd. (Boot & Shoe Stores)
Rock Upholstery Ltd. 186 195 Taylors (Chemists)
Percvi. Grinnell (Newsagents) 184 193 Chain Libraries Ltd.
191 F.W.Woolworth (Bazaar)
Wyatt Bros. (Hardware) 182 189 F.W.Woolworth (Bazaar)
Smart's (Pork Butcher) 180 187 Decorwall (Wallpaper)
P&E Jewell (Butcher) 178 185 D. Furey & Sons (Cooked Meat)
M. Bywater (Butcher) 176 183 Geo. Mason (Grocer)
174 181 Wm. Timpson (Boot & Shoe)
172 179 Boots (Chemists)
170 177 Birmingham Co-Op (Tobacco Dept.)
British Bata Shoe Co. (Shoes) 168 175 Birmingham Co-Op (Grocery)
Bradley's (House Furnishers) 166 173 Birmingham Co-Op (Confectionery)
Charles Bragg (Bakers) 164 171 Birmingham Co-Op (Drapery & Boot)
Helen Carr (Boots & Shoes) 162 169 Birmingham Co-Op (Drapery & Boots)
Birmingham Co-Op (Butchers) 160 167 Birmingham Co-Op (Drapery & Boots)
Birmingham C0-Op (Furnishing) 158 165 BirminghamCo-Op (Drapery & Boots)

EDMUND ROAD
Birmingham Municipal Bank 156 163 Birmingham Co-Op (Greengrocery)
Albt. Fox (Boot & Shoe repairer) 152 161 Birmingham Co-Op (Tailoring)
A.C. Wilcox (Butchers) 150 159 Birmingham Co-Op (Tailoring)
Albt. Fox (Boot & Shoe repairer) 152 157 Birmingham Co-Op (Chemist)
Methodist Church 151A Esther Smith (Knitted Goods)
151 Harrisons (Opticians)
149 Gerald Cook (Baby Linen)
Jn. Green (Hardware) 134 147A Gerald Cook (Baby Linen)
Jn. Green (Hardware) 132 147 Johnson Bros. (Dyers)
130 145 F & P Holland (Greengrocers)
128 143 Perry & Sons (Pork Butchers)
124 141
122 139
120 137 Haworths (Musical instruments)
Donald McNab (Confectioner) 118 135
Wood's Milk Bars Ltd. 115 133 Alec Stannard (Stationers)
Wm. Davies (Electrical engineer) 112 131 Decorators' Supply

ELLESMERE ROAD
Julius May (Tailor) 110 129 Jackson Bros. (Furnishers)
May Mitchell (Draper) 108
Eliz. Bennett (Confectioner) 106 127 Jn. Reed (Electrician)
Jsph. Cheshire (Photographer) 104
Jn. Wellsted (Grocer) 102 125 Jn. Holland (Fried Fish & Chips)

WRIGHT ROAD
Ted Hayes (Fruiter) 100 121 Anne Austin (Confectioner)
Ellen Gertrud (Butcher) 98 119 Yousif Faraony (Doctor)
Wimbush & Son (Bakers) 96 117 Lily Standen (Draper)
115 Saml. Dean (Loan Office)
Stone's Garden Laundry 94 113
Edith Brookes (Tobacconist) 92 109 Albt. Carter (Furniture Remover)
T.H.Baines (Bakers) 90 107 Wm. Davies (Tailor)
Issac Goldberg (Draper) 88 105 Rose Marie (Ladies Hairdresser)
Michl. Antoniou (Fried Fish & Chips) 86 103 Jsph. Brugger (Watch Maker)
Ivy Grove (Ladies Outfitter) 84
Atkins (Baker) 82 101 M. Lycett & Co.
Lillian Hawkins (Dairy) 80 99 Jsph. Hilton ( Provisons)
Lillian Hawkins (Dairy) 78 97 L. Wiltshire (Confectioner)
Birmingham Ebenezer Prov. B.S, 76
74 95 Allaways (Wireless Supplier)

RALPH ROAD

Rich, I will complete the list down to the gate tomorrow .

Hi Saddlebag, wonderful thank you for taking the time to post. I recognise many of the shops Mom worked at Atkins and i worked for Ted Haynes just after leaving school before starting work at Radiation gas fires in Thimble Mill Lane and every Friday we would use Michaels Chippy which was opposite Wright Rd cant thank you enough Saddlebag look forward to the next list cheers Rich.

Ps Saddlebag did you know the Morris family in George Arthur Rd they lived on the same side as the Village pub probably 15 to 20 houses up. Rich.

Hi Rich, Alum Rock Road listing continued.
RALPH ROAD
70 93 M. Lycett (Ironmonger)
68 91
Albt. Deakin (Shoe Repairers) 66 89 Leonard Clarke (Radio Engineer)
Mrs. Clarke Leam (Ladies Outfitter) 64 87
Alum Rock Place 62 85
Wilfred Murry (Shoe Repairers) 60 83 Rosa Gould (Milliner)
81 Mary Howard (Ladies Outfitters)
Alfd. Smith (Sign Writer) 58 79 Lou Wendy (Ladies Outfitters)
77 D. Ivers (Sheet Metal Workers)
Stephen Nutt (Furniture Dealers) 56 75 Pearl Assurance Co. Ltd.
73 Isreal Wright (Cycle Store)
Gertrude Alice (Ladies Hairdresser) 54 71 Maurice Lowe (Hairdresser)
52 69 B&M Croft (Fancy Goods)
50 67 Ralph (Juvenile Outfitters)
Isreal Wright (Cycle Dealer) 48 65 Chas. Harris (Fishmonger)
63 Chas. Harris (Greengrocer)
M Dunn (Wine & Spirit Mer) 46 61
44 59 & 57 Jn. Clarke (Outfitter)
REGINALD ROAD
N. Dyoss (Florist) 40 Geo. Grout (Beer Retailer)
Private Houses
43 & 41 H.B. Oldacres (Building Materials)
Rock Picture House 39 R. Cleaver (Butcher)
37 C. Kemp (Watch & Clock Repairers)
35 Jane Carter (Newsagent & Toys)
St. Saviour's School 33 Galliers & Jolly (Cafe)
29 Wm. Lowe (Butcher)
Village Tavern Pub.

GEORGE ARTHUR ROAD
Geo. Burdon (Grocer) 36 Bagley's (Confectioners) Geo. Arthur Rd
Dowdeswell (Furniture Dealer) 34 27 Cashmore (Chemist)
Eilen Lyndon (Draper) 32 25 Walter Evens (Milliner)
S. Sale (Glass & China Dealer) 30&28 23 Lwyton Bros. (House Furnishers)
W. Freedman (House Furnisher) 26&24 21 Wm. Jackson (Tailor)
Emanual Cochen (Ladies Outfitter) 22 19 mABEL Lockley (Herbalist)
Tote Social Club 20 17 Sid. Taylor (Wireless Engineer)
Jn. Marklow 18 15 Albt. Woodley (Butcher)
Harley's (Shoe Repairers) 16 13 Fitchew (Drapers)
Wm. Griffiths (Butcher) 12 11 Carlotte (Ladies Outfitter)
Mohamed Deen (Fried Fish/Chips) 10 9 Potter & Son (Pork Butcher)
Maypole Dairy Co. (Grocer) 8 7 Jn. Walker (Gents Hairdresser)
Benefit Footwear (Shoe/Boots) 6 5 Birmingham Co-Op (Grocery)
Les. Morton (Greengrocer) 4B 3 Birmingham Co-Op (Grocery)
Geo. Mason (Grocers) 4A
A. Wilcox (Butchers) 4 Gents Public Toilet
S.Beeny & Co. (Hosiers) 2B
Barcay's Bank 2 1 Tilt Hammer (Public House)

WASHWOOD HEATH ROAD THE GATE ADDERLEY ROAD

Rich, hope it recalls happy memories for your mom.

Ps Saddlebag did you know the Morris family in George Arthur Rd they lived on the same side as the Village pub probably 15 to 20 houses up. Rich.
Yes I do remember the Morris's, I think they had 2 sons, although I can't recall their names. They lived opposite the Baptist Church.

Thanks again saddlebag , there are more shops in this list that i remember such as Marklows was a sweet and newsagent just a couple of shops down from st saviours i cant remember Deen's chippy ? but Beeny's was where dad shopped for his clothes not sure if he got his suits from him. Sadly mom passed away in 2019 at the ripe old age of 96 she would have many memories of the shops and owners during her 50 years walking up and down THE ROCK . I went to school with Rodney Morris he was a good mate and we both shared the love of nature as i posted earlier Mr Brown a welsh teacher at st saviours would pick me Rodney, Kenny Maguire Tony Gardner up at school on a Saturday morning for a ramble through Sutton Park a fantastic place for wildlife. You were right they did have 2 lads i cant remember his brothers name we lost touch when we left st saviours i think he went to Leigh Rd but i saw him occasionally when we played cricket against each other at ward end park during our spell at senior school. Many thank's for the memories saddlebag please keep in touch and keep the ROCK alive Cheers Rich.

Thanks again saddlebag , there are more shops in this list that i remember such as Marklows was a sweet and newsagent just a couple of shops down from st saviours i cant remember Deen's chippy ? but Beeny's was where dad shopped for his clothes not sure if he got his suits from him. Sadly mom passed away in 2019 at the ripe old age of 96 she would have many memories of the shops and owners during her 50 years walking up and down THE ROCK . I went to school with Rodney Morris he was a good mate and we both shared the love of nature as i posted earlier Mr Brown a welsh teacher at st saviours would pick me Rodney, Kenny Maguire Tony Gardner up at school on a Saturday morning for a ramble through Sutton Park a fantastic place for wildlife. You were right they did have 2 lads i cant remember his brothers name we lost touch when we left st saviours i think he went to Leigh Rd but i saw him occasionally when we played cricket against each other at ward end park during our spell at senior school. Many thank's for the memories saddlebag please keep in touch and keep the ROCK alive Cheers Rich.
I apologise for the reference regarding your mom, I was unaware the post I had read was dated 2019. Sorry to hear of her passing.

Ref. the Rock shop listing. I had layed out the lists in vertical columns, showing the shops on the LH side of the Rock
in one column and shops on the RH side in another. Unfortunately the spacing has gone haywire in the posting, resulting in a jumbled mess!
No I haven't published the book, I don't think it's that interesting in general (lots of references to my family), just something that may interest the Grandkids later in life.
Best regards, Eric

Hello Blueboy,
Not quite the time you are looking for, but in about 1964ish, I had a Saturday job at a cafe on the Alum Rock Road.. think it was called 'Pigalle'. I used to get the No. 8 from Bordesley Green to the Gate.. get off the bus and turn right onto Alum Rock Road and the cafe was just a few doors up on the right. I know it's not the right time for your search, but thought I would mention it, as there may have been a cafe there for sometime.
Annie

It is a good photograph isn't it. What strikes me more than anything is that the area looks so quiet. It couldn't have been a Sunday because the delivery lorry in the foreground is obviously working. One of the shops on the right-hand side was a pork butcher. I think that it was the first one with the canopy. They kept their own pigs on a small holding and slaughtered them on-site. I remember one day when one of them made a bid for freedom and careered out of the shop onto the main road, causing absolute mayhem with traffic and people trying to escape. Poor pig.
I've spent hours looking for a reference to the pork butchers. Was beginning to think it was my imagination. My gran used to swear by their meat & I often went there with her before I started school (in the early 50s). If I remember correctly it was called perry's.

Thank you saddlebag ( Eric) no problem with the lists mate i realised they were jumbled, it was the shop names i wanted just to get my bearings on the Rock . Thank you again i hope the family appreciate your book the next generation of forum members perhaps Keep in touch if you have any more memories to share all the Best Rich.

Hi annie56, thank you for the post didn't remember the Pigalle cafe never really went to the Gate end of the Rock except to buy my fishing tackle and bait from Chaplins and buy records from the shop opposite can't remember the name, Remember the No 8 bus stop you talk about in Adderley Rd visited the hairdressers a few times the bus stop was outside or close by Thank you Rich.

Hi annie56, thank you for the post didn't remember the Pigalle cafe never really went to the Gate end of the Rock except to buy my fishing tackle and bait from Chaplins and buy records from the shop opposite can't remember the name,

Hi Blueboy,

If it's the same shop I used to buy records from, it was Caron's second hand shop.
Unsurprisingly it was run by a couple called Carol and Ron!

Kind regards
Dave

Hi Dave89, Dave i cant remember much about the record shop except i think it was double fronted with records displayed in the left hand window not sure what was in the right window, I'm sure i bought up to date records at that time but i did buy second hand records in fact can't go past a charity shop without popping in to browse the 45's still collecting records from the 60's 70's and 80's Cheers Rich. Thank you for putting a name to the shop wonder when it sold its last record.

Last edited:
Hi saddlebag Eric, you mentioned the Baptist church i used to go to cubs in the hall at the back of the church cant remember our pack number but our kneckerchief was brown with a mustard coloured edge had many happy times in that hall and spent a few nights camping at Yorks Wood. Rich.

Hi saddlebag Eric, you mentioned the Baptist church i used to go to cubs in the hall at the back of the church cant remember our pack number but our kneckerchief was brown with a mustard coloured edge had many happy times in that hall and spent a few nights camping at Yorks Wood. Rich.
I went there too. Maybe the 151st ?? - it was a looong time ago!

Back