• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alum Rock Road Shops

The bottom picture, in post 417, is here, post 805, with suggestions.

The top photo has a similar one here, post 287, and is dated 1912.
I expect the third one is here somewhere. ;)

A duplicate small thread:

Last edited by a moderator:
The middle photo of post #417 is Alum Rock Road just before the junction with Clipston Rd (left) and Jackson Rd (right).

Must be the beginning of the 19th century as you can still fields in the distance. The clump of trees just beyond the kink in the road must be where the Brook Hill pub was built.

Don't think it's the width of the roads it's the lack of parked cars that make them look wider. Except the first photo of 410 where it's wider beyond the junction because The Rock hadn't been built.

Can anyone remember the name of the cinema in the dip in Alum Rock Rd and the car sales next door

Hi Solihull Chic,
Thanks for your response, I think the Polish couple were in the house next to Mrs Lamb second house up the road on the left. The Newbury children are on the pic they lived opposite to Malcom.
I think there may be some confusion with some of the names unless I have misread your post, because little Stuart is 2nd from left back row next to Brian Toplis, and Jimmy is in the Front row 2nd from the left next to Johnny Sparks. I have listed all the ones that I can remember for you in columns so that you and Malcom can have a look and see if you can add any and it may refresh Malcoms memory, there are a fair few blanks (?) although I can remember a lot of the faces names were, and are still not my strongest point to my eternal embarrassment. I think we used to call Malc' and his bike "MAXIES TAXI".
Kind regards Chris Bryan

No BACK ROW LEFT TO RIGHT ********************* ********* MIDDLE ROW LEFT TO RIGHT *************** FRONT ROW LEFT TO RIGHT

1. BRIAN TOPLIS (Maitland Rd) ******************************** IAN WOOD **********************************JOHNNY SPARKS

2. STUART WILLIAMS ****************************************** (?) ************************************JIMMY WILLIAMS

3. *****( ?) **************************************************(?) **************************************** (?)

4. DAVID BRYAN (My Cousin) (Maitland Rd) ************************* (?) ***************************************** (?)

5. ------ LLOYD (Maitland Road) **************************** LESLIE ? BOWKWER ********************************* (?)

6. MALCOM WILLIAMS *********************************** baby ? NEWBURY (On Lap of Frances) ****************** (?)

7. CHRIS BRYAN **************************************** FRANCES NEWBURY ******************************* ( ?)

8. **** (?) ********************************************** ****** (?) ************************************* (?)

9 ------ GREAVES *************************************** (?) ********************************** JUDITH CROSS (Jackson Avenue)

10. ----- TOPLIS (Maitland Road) ************************ ------- LLOYD (Maitland Rd) *************************** (?)

11. **** (?) *************************************** ------ LLOYD (Maitland Rd) *************************** (?)

12. ******************************************** GEORGE WILLIAMS ********************************* (?)

13. ******************************************** BRIAN WALDRON ******************************** (?)

14. ************************************************* (?) ************************************ (?)

15. ************************************************** ? *************************************(?)

16. ********************************************* GILLIAN WOOD ****************************** NIGEL ------

17. ******************************************** ------ WALDRON ***********************************

18. ************************************************** (?) *****************************************
Hi a few more names to add myself John Shaw Middle Row second left & Ann Shaw of 12, Maitland Road, Dorothy Massey of Jackson Road, Brians sister Pat Topliss, the Lloyds were shown, John Mitzi & Joan. Regards JohnS
Hi Chris, thanks for coming back to us on names of photo,s! Malcolm has been reeling of names etc all day! Bit later will sit down again with him, and list names etc he recalls! Just wanted to let you know we will post back! Asp regards M&C

Had a Request from new member John Shaw
Hi John,
it seems that a lot of the pics on the site have gone for a duck, I think someone hacked into the site or something like that. However hopefully here is the Anthony Road Coronation Pic

No BACK ROW LEFT TO RIGHT ********************* ********* MIDDLE ROW LEFT TO RIGHT *************** FRONT ROW LEFT TO RIGHT

1. BRIAN TOPLIS (Maitland Rd) ******************************** IAN WOOD **********************************JOHNNY SPARKS

2. STUART WILLIAMS ****************************************** (?) ************************************JIMMY WILLIAMS

3. *****( ?) **************************************************(?) **************************************** (?)

4. DAVID BRYAN (My Cousin) (Maitland Rd) ************************* (?) ***************************************** (?)

5. ------ LLOYD (Maitland Road) **************************** LESLIE ? BOWKWER ********************************* (?)

6. MALCOM WILLIAMS *********************************** baby ? NEWBURY (On Lap of Frances) ****************** (?)

7. CHRIS BRYAN **************************************** FRANCES NEWBURY ******************************* ( ?)

8. **** (?) ********************************************** ****** (?) ************************************* (?)

9 ------ GREAVES *************************************** (?) ********************************** JUDITH CROSS (Jackson Avenue)

10. ----- TOPLIS (Maitland Road) ************************ ------- LLOYD (Maitland Rd) *************************** (?)

11. **** (?) *************************************** ------ LLOYD (Maitland Rd) *************************** (?)

12. ******************************************** GEORGE WILLIAMS ********************************* (?)

13. ******************************************** BRIAN WALDRON ********************************HILARY MOORE

14. ************************************************* (?) ************************************ (?)

15. ************************************************** ? *************************************(?)

16. ********************************************* GILLIAN WOOD ****************************** NIGEL ------

17. ******************************************** ------ WALDRON ***********************************

18. ************************************************** (?) *****************************************
Hi a few more names to add myself John Shaw Middle Row second left & Ann Shaw of 12, Maitland Road, Dorothy Massey of Jackson Road, Brians sister Pat Topliss, the Lloyds were shown, John Mitzi & Joan. Regards JohnS

Attachments

• anthony rd.jpg
    anthony rd.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
thanks chris...what a splendid photo of anthony roads coronation party...its so clear and everyone is looking happy...i cant be sure but i think we may have a thread for coronation party photos if so i will also post the photo on that thread....will check that out later..

lyn

Hi. Rich. What a good chip shop Pauls was also used the one in Highfield Road especially on a Friday night after youth club. My cousin lived in Reginald Road in the maisonettes see you also lived in Wright Road did you know Hurst family they also lived opposite Ted Haynes in one of the entries. Bish
I also lived in the maisonettes at number 11.

Hi John,
it seems that a lot of the pics on the site have gone for a duck, I think someone hacked into the site or something like that. However hopefully here is the Anthony Road Coronation Pic

Thank you John for added names for Anthony Rd school.... which I will pass onto George James & Stuart Williams. Unfortunately Malcolm Williams of Jackson rd & on this picture passed away last year! ....... regards Christine

Hi John,

Thank you John for these extra names! Sorry to let you know Malcolm Williams my Husband passed away last year.... regards ChristineW

[QUOTE="mw0njm., post: 658158, mem one was

this has already been posted in Mar 11, 2009 by suemalings
Ho. The dread of the dentist when we were kids. The two dentists in Bowyer Road were just a few doors up from the Rock Pub one was Kings can't remember the other.
[/QUOTE]
It was Mr Ewing.Very genial Scot!

OHhhhhhhhhhhhh,Iremember Mr Ewing.Got my molar half way and said he couldn't get it my farther and to try and push it back in.this was in the late 50s

My sister lived at 505 in the sixties with her young family. I think the last shop before the houses was Sam Saunders newsagent and general store.
Hi just saw your message. is your sister called Doris. Was she married to someone called Arthur. If so I remember her and the young family well

Back