• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alum Rock Road Shops

Yes. I lived in the end,but one, nearest to the barracks, three doors up from the paper shop. Was your friend’s surname Gregory

Christine thank you for replying, about my Uncle Tim. Used to visit him with my dad every xmas, where he had all the presents on the wall,he used to pop in and see us sometimes when he left work at Marsh and Baxters.

New about the Alsatians but not about the Chickens, Tell me i can´t remember his wife Floss do you know when she died ?,
Did they have any Children ?

Being my uncle apart from seeing him a couple of times a year, i knew little about him apart from,
I knew he liked a drink in the pub across the road,
He wore a carnation
He along with my dad were fishermen in Ireland
And was a bit of a boxer in his time but not very good i hear.

If you have anymore info would love to know, espically Floss´s maiden name and do i have any cousins, but don´t think i do,

Must admit your the first person i have found ho lived so close to him

My sister lived at 505 in the sixties with her young family. I think the last shop before the houses was Sam Saunders newsagent and general store.

My sister lived at 505 in the sixties with her young family. I think the last shop before the houses was Sam Saunders newsagent and general store.
Thanks for that know if Tim had children rough idea when Floss died

Was Floss some years older than your uncle?

Florence Bertha White was born 5 Feb 1901 in Wigston, Leicestershire.

She married Charles Henry Ward, reg Aston Mar qtr 1922.

They had a number of children, Marjorie, June, Kenneth and Ronald, possibly more.

In 1939 they were living at 48 Alma Crescent.

Charles Henry Ward died 1942, reg Bham Sep qtr.

Florence married Timothy Flynn 1945, reg Bham Jun qtr.

No Flynn/White children listed locally.

Florence Bertha Flynn death registered Bham, Mar qtr 1980. Dob 5 Feb 1901.

Only Timothy Flynn death is Timothy Pearse Flynn, registered Bham Jun 1986. Dob 22 Jul 1918.

Was Floss some years older than your uncle?

Florence Bertha White was born 5 Feb 1901 in Wigston, Leicestershire.

She married Charles Henry Ward, reg Aston Mar qtr 1922.

They had a number of children, Marjorie, June, Kenneth and Ronald, possibly more.

In 1939 they were living at 48 Alma Crescent.

Charles Henry Ward died 1942, reg Bham Sep qtr.

Florence married Timothy Flynn 1945, reg Bham Jun qtr.

No Flynn/White children listed locally.

Florence Bertha Flynn death registered Bham, Mar qtr 1980. Dob 5 Feb 1901.

Only Timothy Flynn death is Timothy Pearse Flynn, registered Bham Jun 1986. Dob 22 Jul 1918.
Thank you for this , i must admit i have had a problem finding Florence´s parents, never gave it a thought she was married before, think i will get her Marriage and Death Certificates, reason being can never remember her and in 1980 being inmy 20´s and Tim dying 6 years later , but thanks for the info

I remember going to that dentist when I was a child. What a terrible experience. I remember it well - that big old leather chair, the gas mask, the blood. I lived in Ash Road so Mom and I could walk, but I never went there again, I put up with tooth ache until I was 16 years old and found a really good dentist by the Pelham. So different today though, my dentist is a very kind, gentle man.

I eventually went to the School Clinic in Sheep Street (there is another thread somewhere). It was just as bad as the denting is Bowyer Road!

I remember going to that dentist when I was a child. What a terrible experience. I remember it well - that big old leather chair, the gas mask, the blood. I lived in Ash Road so Mom and I could walk, but I never went there again, I put up with tooth ache until I was 16 years old and found a really good dentist by the Pelham. So different today though, my dentist is a very kind, gentle man.

I eventually went to the School Clinic in Sheep Street (there is another thread somewhere). It was just as bad as the denting is Bowyer Road!
I am sure most here can tell the same story, bad memories for me.

[QUOTE="mw0njm., post: 658158, mem one was

this has already been posted in Mar 11, 2009 by suemalings
[/QUOTE]
Ho. The dread of the dentist when we were kids. The two dentists in Bowyer Road were just a few doors up from the Rock Pub one was Kings can't remember the other.

Back