• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alum Rock Road Shops

Sorry my reply went before I finished. I was saying in my Kelly's 1968-69 Mrs. D Gleeson, Beer Retailer lived at 55 Alum Rock Road. 57/59 was Mr Leonard A Clarke Outfitter. In between 55 and 57 was Reginald Road. In 1963 Leonard is listed at 57 as an electrical engineer, 59 as an outfitter. Leonard was at the same address in 1953 but a Mr. George Thomas Grout, beer retailer was at 55.
Hi suemalings , could I ask a favour is it possible for you to post the page or pages from your Kelly's 1968-69 for Alum Rock road I have the pages from Kelly's 1956 thanks to mikejee for posting at the beginning of this thread which was the beginning of an ongoing conversation within the family and the 68-69 would be the icing on the cake as we were living in Wright rd at that time and it would be great to see what shops were there to compare with the 1956 shops I was living in Reginald road then, hope I haven't put you on the spot sorry if I have if you can help it would be appreciated BLUEBOY.

Last edited:
Blueboythats the one.George was the butcher his assistant had a hair line lip.(can't remember his name )

Hi. Rich. Do you remember the café/coffee shop between Reginald and Ralph Rd it was opened about 1963 I think it was a Jewish family that ran it. On the corner of Ralph Rd. was the county or country store that sold provisions further up was Carters furniture shop. Thanks for Clarkes. Cheers Bish.

Hi Bish, the only coffee shop I remember but couldn't remember the name was owned by a Greek Cypriot this I remember because his son Michael was knocked down by a car in Reginald rd we were playing in the street at the time and I knew his dad ran this shop had been in there a few times he had a large aquarium in there and wasn't using it tried to persuade Michael to get it for me but I didn't get it in the end . Can recollect that grocery shop but wouldn't remember the name was Carters furniture shop on the corner of Ellesmere rd. I caught the 55 bus opposite Ralph rd from 64-69 I remember an electrical shop facing think it was Allaways radio shop in 1956 Kellys Sellars was the grocery shop on the other corner of Ralph rd Only wish I could get hold of a 60's Kellys guide cheers mate keep posting Rich.

Last edited:
Hi. Rich. Carters was opposite Barkers the butchers and Brookes newsagents. Do you remember the sewing machine shop think it was called Nash. Bish.

Hi Bish think the shop was Nutt's they were just a little further down from the bus stop facing Ralph road thanks for putting me right for Carters. Rich.

Hi. Rich. You are right it was Nutt's they moved to Chester Rd. Erdington bought my wife a machine from there. Bish.

Hi suemalings , could I ask a favour is it possible for you to post the page or pages from your Kelly's 1968-69 for Alum Rock road I have the pages from Kelly's 1956 thanks to mikejee for posting at the beginning of this thread which was the beginning of an ongoing conversation within the family and the 68-69 would be the icing on the cake as we were living in Wright rd at that time and it would be great to see what shops were there to compare with the 1956 shops I was living in Reginald road then, hope I haven't put you on the spot sorry if I have if you can help it would be appreciated BLUEBOY.
I don't have a scanner but if you can hold on for a while I am more than happy to type the pages out for you. I have Kelly's 1953, 1063 and 68-69.

Thank you suemalings I would be most grateful any pages from your Kelly's would be appreciated as I was born in 1952 and moved away from the Rock in 1978 so all your Kelly's would be relevant I hope this isn't going to cause you loads of work sue thank you for your time many thanks i'm thrilled to bits BLUEBOY Ps as I said in earlier posts I lived in Reginald rd and Wright rd so would be interested from the Gate up to the Morris club if you can thank you.Only wish I could help you out.

Last edited:
THANK YOU mikejee really appreciate you taking an interest in my post that will give a bit of relief to suemalings i'm sure thank you again to both of you I think bish may find it interesting also.

Have also reposted the pages for 1956 at the beginning of the thread, which were on photobucket until that hosting service became awkward and the link no longer worked

To save Sue a bit more work here is 1963. Afraid I do not have 1953 edition (wish I did).

Kellys 1963 alum rock Road.1.jpgKellys 1963 alum rock Road.2.jpgKellys 1963 alum rock Road.3.jpgKellys 1963 alum rock Road.4.jpg

Last edited:
Was the name of the coffee house between Reginald and Ralph Roads "The Bonanza" at number 71 Alum Rock Road and I think it opened in 1964 prior to that it was a second hand furniture shop.

Thank you Phil, the name rings a bell but I am now confused I thought it was a café before a furniture shop I could only focus on the aquarium and I don't remember furniture in the shop but as you say Kelly's of 1963 thanks to mikegee confirms it as a second hand furniture shop and his name was Michaels which fits in with his son's name who was knocked down that's the beauty of this forum there is always someone who is prepared to offer advice and information thank you all

Hi. Rich. You were right found Kelly's good lots of shops more than one remembers. Cheers Bish.

Hi Mike , any thoughts ? on looking at the 56-63 and 68 Kelly's you kindly posted there is no mention of The Village pub on the corner of George Arthur road Alum Rock I know it existed because my Mom and Dad took us there on some Saturday Nights to play out back and in the darts room seems strange its not mentioned when the Tilt Hammer and The Rock pubs are listed cheers Rich.

I'm afraid I have no idea why it was not listed. Possibly it was closed for renovation or something when the survey for Kellys was carried out

Hi suemalings , could I ask a favour would you look in your 1953 Kelly's to see if the village pub is listed on the corner of George Arthur road Alum Rock I know the pub existed but there was no mention in either 56 - 63 or 68 years for Kelly's posted by mikejee I wonder if anyone on the forum has any recollections of the pub cheers Rich.

Hi. Karen I remember Porters very well in the fifties my mom done here shopping there every Thursday

Yes I remember it well and I think the other shop on Havelock rd was called Hughes or somthing like that next to the coal yard

Blueboy,

I think you will find the The Village is listed at 2 George Arthur Road for the years you are looking for.

Wendy

a few more pic's of Alum Rock Rd, I can't promise they are in the time frame you wanted, but they couldn't have changed much. Ive added the one of the Co op rooms as you mentioned the Co op the other day and I thought it possible that you might have frequented these rooms that I assume were above the Co op.

Phil
Brings back a lot of memories!

Thank you.....

Back