• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alum Rock Road Shops

Mike do you have any more pics of Saltley and Alum Rock, especially one of the Rock cinema. I lived in the road opposite - Reginald Road. Suppose no photos of that? Thanks
WendyP

Any use?

the_rock_cinema_alum_rock.jpg

Wow! That's fantastic and brings back so many memories. My mom would take me every Wednesday afternoon after school and then I went to the Saturday Club every Saturday morning. Thank you so much.

Sorry that this has nothing to do with shops, however i was looking at Google earth today and my uncle (Tim Flynn) lived facing the Brookhill pub, can i confirm these houses have been Knocked down ¿ as i can not see the houses and if so when did they knock them down

If i remember Southhalls was just down the road a bit on the left going in to town, there were houses on Alum rock road facing the pub and behind these hoses were a Army cadet barracks if i remember rightly

Hello Pat Sattar-Jennings, there was a pawn-shop at 57/59 Alum Rock, on the corner of Reginald Road. The shop was owned by my grandfather John Clarke until 1952 and my father Leonard Clarke then took over and it was a clothing, shoes, glassware, radio and television. My father died in 1968 and we left the shop.
I do not know of Ted and Wynne Clarke, did they have a pawn-shop else-where on The Rock? We lived on Wasshwood Heath before moving to the Shop.
Cheers John Clarke

Hello John, Do0 you have any photos of your parents shop in Reginald Road (I lived there) and remember the shop well.
Wendy

Hi Castalla,
Your uncles house is still standing, there are three terraced houses and a small row of shops on A/Rock Rd just before you reach Rockville Road, I believe his was the first house. It was just up from the Brookhill on he opposite side of the road.

Macca

Thanks Macca, as you know i never knew if Uncle Tim was married, next time i am in Birmingham (live abroad) i want to visit the Libary and look through Electroial regisatr to see who he lived with, and hope it shows his wife and children, but thanks for that must look on Google earth again and get my Bearings

Hi Castalla,

I had a look at the online electoral roll (Midlands Historical Data), from 1947-1965 Timothy P Flynn and Florence B Flynn were living at 509 Alum Rock Road. The online electoral roll is currently only available up until 1965. There is a marriage record for Timothy P Flynn to Florence B Ward in Birmingham 1945 6d 887.

Macca

The fishing tackle shop was called Chaplin's and only disappeared in the last 5 years. Got my secondary school uniform from Griffiths & Fullards, my mom paid for it with a provident check. On the corner of Alum Rock Rd/Woodwells Rd (I think) was Foster Bros.

O thanks very much Macca thats a great help, can i ask where this online electoral web site is please, i went to b.ham libary last year and had a look at electroal roles but was looking for somebody else in my family, you know what it´s like you could spend hours on these things. Yet again thank you very much

The fishing tackle shop was called Chaplin's and only disappeared in the last 5 years. Got my secondary school uniform from Griffiths & Fullards, my mom paid for it with a provident check. On the corner of Alum Rock Rd/Woodwells Rd (I think) was Foster Bros.

We also had to buy our uniforms from Griffiths and Fullard. I wonder when it disappeared? (I think it has).
There was a shop called Goldberg's where you could buy opaque royal blue tights which were part of our uniform (Saltley) once you were a bit older and out of ankle socks!

maria

Hi, I've just been reading back through this thread and was interested to hear that Wendy P lived opposite the Rock Cinema, we must have been near neighbours., while Graham S went to on to Central Grammar School. I lived at 33 Alum rock Road from about 1953 to 1960. Mom and Dad ran the Rock Café for a while, I went to St Saviours but mostly at the Annexe in Ralph Road? before going on to Central Grammar (1956 I think). After that we moved to Clipston Road until I left home in 1966.

If I remember correctly my first "proper" Dawes bike came from McGauleys cycles, I was also in the scouts for a time so must have crossed paths with many of you - It's sparked so many memories and nostalgia for times past reading this.

Regards

SandyBrook
hi, i do not know the id of GrahamS but if he is the one I knew his nickname was 'spanner', i also went to Central, 1953-1958. Johnfc

Hello John, Do0 you have any photos of your parents shop in Reginald Road (I lived there) and remember the shop well.
Wendy
Hello WendyP, I do not have any pics of the shop. I have spoken to my sisters and asked if they have any, I will let you know. Did you know a Margaret Bluck? She lived on the left, half-way up Reginald Road. When I left school in '58 I worked in the projection room at The Rock for three months while I looked for a job. Cheers JohnFC

Back