• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alum Rock Road Shops

wendyP

master brummie
Hello

I am writing an article about the shops on Alum Rock Road in the 1950's. I know there is someone out there that has a Kellys Directory and can possibly help. So I would be really grateful if someone can show the relevant pages. thank you
WendyP

My grandfather and then my father had a shop on Alum Rock Road from about 1935 until 1956.

No 757, opposite the Capitol Cinema.
I lived there as a boy for 10 years, until 1956.

If there is anything you want to know about that part of A R Road, let me know. I can remember it vividly, including the names of most of the shops between the Pelham Arms and Woodwells Road and who ran most of them.

Hi I will look at the 1955 Kelly'son Thursday and let you know if there are any shops that differ from that of 1956. I will also look at the one from 1945 to give you some idea of how long the shops had been there in 1956.

I will also ask my mum if she can remember any of the shops as she was born in St Saviours Road,not far away. Although she married in 1949 her family still lived in the area during the 50's.

Sue

Was it Haynes the Green Grocer that used to be on the corner of Alum Rock Road and Wright Road? There was Copes, the pen and stationary shop, also a wallpaper shop. (Ray was the son of the owner, he has a shop at the Yew Tree now "Ray's Wallpapers". I remember the toy/model shop, used to be almost oposite Ralph Road, where I would go and spend my 2/6p pocket money. I lived in Ash Road from 1955 to 1966 and used to go shopping with my mom every Saturday morning,

Thank you all so much for your help. Tts the bottom and middle parts of The Rock I am interested in, from the Gate Saltley up to Southalls.
But of course I am interested in all of it. I lived in Reginald Road so St. Saviours Road was at the top of my road.

Loved the photos. I recognised the Capital cinema but didnt recognise which part of Alum Rock the other photo was. I am going mad trying to work it out!!
One again you are all so kind and thank you.
Wendy

Wendyp

I think these photo's all fall into the time period you want. They are all between 1950 & 1959.

Phil

Attachments

• Alum Rock Alum Rock Rd 1959.jpg
    Alum Rock Alum Rock Rd 1959.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 452
  • Saltley Alum Rock Rd Saltley Market.JPG
    Saltley Alum Rock Rd Saltley Market.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 427
  • Alum Rock Pelham Alum Rock Rd Alum Rock.jpg
    Alum Rock Pelham Alum Rock Rd Alum Rock.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 436
Sue, Yes Haynes was on the corner of Wright Road, but it was Stanards that had the pens and stationery shop and they were just over the road. When the old boy died a few years ago at Stanards they found hundreds of handbags of fabulous quality upstairs and also expensive pens etc. and it was all looted.
What school did you go to?
Wendy

Hi Phil
Where did you get these wonderful photos from? I would love them. The one is the Co-op small department store that was a drapers etc. and a few of us were reminiscing about that the other day. I never thought I would see it again. Does anyone know if I can copy these photos from the Forum. If not, please tell me Phil where I can get them from.
Wendy

Wendy - I went to Adderley Infants (St Savious and Adderley Road) then to Adderley Junior School on the corner of Adderley and Arden Road. I went to Cherry Sec. Mod. We moved to Nansen Road in 1966 so still in the Alum Rock area.

Sue
I went to Nansen Road school and I wondered if you had too. We werent far away from each other. We are still in the same neck of the woods now by the looks of it. You are in Cambridge and I am in Suffolk.
Wendy

Wendyp

As far as I am concerned you can copy any photo I put up on the forum for personal use. I have so many photo's I have collected over the years and to be honest I have little idea where most of them have come from. Most photo's pre 1945 are copyright free unless they belong to a protected collection or so I am told.

I think with most others, as long as you are not using them commercially and you credit them wherever possible then you are ok, but don't quote me if someone takes exception.

Phil

Wendy - I remember it being Stannards now. I think Copes was on the other side of the road just past the gate, towards town. It was a newsagents, we had an old wind up gramaphone and used to get the needles from there. I've got a Kelly's from 1953.

Yes I think you are right about Copes.
How I wish I had kept some Kellys directories from all the offices I worked in. They are invaluable now arent they for finding places and people.
Wendy

Wendy

a few more pic's of Alum Rock Rd, I can't promise they are in the time frame you wanted, but they couldn't have changed much. Ive added the one of the Co op rooms as you mentioned the Co op the other day and I thought it possible that you might have frequented these rooms that I assume were above the Co op.

Phil

Attachments

• Alum Rock Alum Rock Rd (7).JPG
    Alum Rock Alum Rock Rd (7).JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 345
  • Alum Rock Alum Rock Rd 1960 ad.JPG
    Alum Rock Alum Rock Rd 1960 ad.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 327
  • Alum Rock Alum Rock Rd Parkfield Cafe.jpg
    Alum Rock Alum Rock Rd Parkfield Cafe.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 327
  • Alum Rock Brook Hill rd.jpg