• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alum Rock Road Shops

Hello SueMalins, a reply more than a year after you asked the question.
I know Alum Rock Shops, have been reading the thread, and had to reply to you.
I used to go to Mr Hawtins for my 45 records (and occasional EP and LP) in the early and middle '60s. If what was wanted wasn't in stock, or, if it was a new release Mr Hawtin would order it in for you. I still have 45 sleeves stamped with the oval 'Hawtins' mark. I remember the shop, between Belchers Lane and the Capital bridge, as small, dark and old-fashioned, but always friendly and obliging - nothing was a problem.
I remember many of the shops mentioned on this thread, but have not seen anything about one that my parents and their family used to frequent. This was further along Alum Rock Road, going towards the 'top of the rock', to just past Southalls factory. It was called 'Mab's Cafe' and apparently was between Farndon Road (Mrs Ashton's wool shop and library on the corner), and I think it was Wimbush's on the next corner of Foxton Road. All I can remember as ever existing shops between these two (the rest were still houses) was a men's hair-cutting shop that had apparently been there for years.
I was told that family members would go to Mab's Cafe for a treat at birthday's, weddings etc. and that it closed 'years ago'
Does anyone else remember or have heard others talk of Mab's Cafe on Alum Rock Road?
Does anyone know the name of the insurance brokers that I think was next door to Hawtins in the mid 1970's at all? I know they were agents for the Nationwide Building Society as we got our first mortgage from the shop there but cant for the life of me remember the name.

Back