• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alum Rock Rd - Ward End area

I used to live in bennetts road washwood heath i was born there in 1968, a group of us children would play in a building that was abandoned, the building was knocked down and houses were built which became sandway gardens. this building was next to number 32 ,i was in number 30. can anyone tell me what that building was.
I had some good memories as i grew up there i have since moved away but would like to revisit the area and see how much it has changed

I lived at no 28 Bennetts Road between 1945 and 1966. The building next to no 32 was two maisonettes. I remember them being built in the late 1950's. They were for the use of the army families whom were based at the army barracks located where Sandway Gardens are now.

Thx mike I got your msg and I appreciate it ...there were FULFORDS living on Malthouse lane and I just wondered if there was a brewing connection.

Hi there,

I had a family member that lived at 103 St. Margaret's Avenue in the 80's - his name was Leonard "Len" Parry and he had a wife called May. He died in 1985. I wondered if anyone would remember them.

Thomas

Just came across this site today. I know it's an old thread but it bought back memories. I went to Leigh Road school in 1957 and remember Mrs Purnell very well. She gave me a slapped backside for snapping my pencil into two. She made me use both halves until I couldn't hold them to teach me to care for equipment. Mr Waldren was my favourite. I think Mr Mullins was the head and Miss Payne his deputy. Such a long time ago. I haven't been down there for many years. I did hear that the name had changed.
Hi, I went to Leigh Rd, left in 1960, my name is David Hibbard, my younger brother also went there Bob, any recollection. I remember miss Payne, she loved to give a slap??

Hi, my granparents(mr and mrs hicks)along with my aunts & uncles used to live at no 99 bennetts rd. They lived next to the Jeffers Family at no 101. I remember the birch family who lived mid way down Bennetts Road, the Mings who lived at the top and the Morrisons, who lived a few doors away from my grandparents. Does anyone remember Dereks Sweetshop on Membury road? He had a look of Elvis Costello and drove a blue Mini clubman van. I also remember the outdoor at the bottom of bennetts road. We used to nick the corona bottles from the back of the shop and take them back to the shop to get our 10p! I also remember playing alot of football down the Met off arley road. Great times.

Hi, my granparents(mr and mrs hicks)along with my aunts & uncles used to live at no 99 bennetts rd. They lived next to the Jeffers Family at no 101. I remember the birch family who lived mid way down Bennetts Road, the Mings who lived at the top and the Morrisons, who lived a few doors away from my grandparents. Does anyone remember Dereks Sweetshop on Membury road? He had a look of Elvis Costello and drove a blue Mini clubman van. I also remember the outdoor at the bottom of bennetts road. We used to nick the corona bottles from the back of the shop and take them back to the shop to get our 10p! I also remember playing alot of football down the Met off arley road. Great times.
Hi, we lived in arley Rd, number 93, can't remember the names, but remember the sweet shop, and also the off licence. My brother Bob, worked there, when he was still at school, late 60s. Do you remember Roger Thomas, lived in chartist road?

Hi, we lived in arley Rd, number 93, can't remember the names, but remember the sweet shop, and also the off licence. My brother Bob, worked there, when he was still at school, late 60s. Do you remember Roger Thomas, lived in chartist road?
Hi, i was born in 1970 so most of memories were spend mid to late 70s summer hols, Easter, some weekends or christmas. I do remember the off license on Arley road just before chartist road. I dont remember Roger Thomas but my uncles & Aunts may do. Do you remember the Brothersons that lived on Arley Road? I believe they had a house fire in the 70s.

Hi, i was born in 1970 so most of memories were spend mid to late 70s summer hols, Easter, some weekends or christmas. I do remember the off license on Arley road just before chartist road. I dont remember Roger Thomas but my uncles & Aunts may do. Do you remember the Brothersons that lived on Arley Road? I believe they had a house fire in the 70s.
Hi, we left in 65, approx, but my uncle still lived there until, the council decided to knock some of the houses down, from Aston church road, till Bennetts Road. His name was Alfred pready, known as Alf. Our name was Hibbard OK

:D I have just checked this site out and found it to have some great Photo's of this area today 8) . Dave takes time out to walk around the area taking the photo's - Great for us Ex pats. 8)  :)
https://brummages.blogspot.com/
Hello, I’m new to this site and I thought I’d ask you if you happen to have any interesting old photos of Thornton Road School. My mum was there in the 1940s war years. She’s 86 now and often recites poems that a wonderful teacher called Mr Dallow taught her. She thought he was the very best teacher she ever had. I’d love to see pictures of the school then or a photo of Mr Dallow to share with her, or memories of him from other members. Where am I best to post this request? Thank you so much! Isabel

hi. does anyone remember a TA/army camp in alum rock rd just op the brookhill pub. there was a tank parked in the grounds around 1950/60

hi. does anyone remember a TA/army camp in alum rock rd just op the brookhill pub. there was a tank parked in the grounds around 1950/60
Yes I remember the T/A Barracks just up from Southalls, can't remember much about them, according to Phil he says :-The Barracks on Alum Rock Rd was on the site of Fern Bank farm just up the road from Southhalls and were a TA barracks, I believe that the farm house remained in the barracks until they were demolished sometime in the 70's I suppose.

Yes I remember the T/A Barracks just up from Southalls, can't remember much about them, according to Phil he says :-The Barracks on Alum Rock Rd was on the site of Fern Bank farm just up the road from Southhalls and were a TA barracks, I believe that the farm house remained in the barracks until they were demolished sometime in the 70's I suppose.
thanks very much. i was sure there was a barracks there but can not find any info on it now.

Hi Pete,

I used to shoot at the Fernbank range by the entrance to the TA barracks in the early 60's.
The rangekeeper was a Mr Flook, and he lived in the big old house set back from the road.
I'm not sure if the house was the old farmhouse, or the barracks, or if they were one and the
same thing.

Kind regards
Dave.

Back