• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alum Rock Rd - Ward End area

In the 1936 Kellys the salvation army is the first listing by Moat house road junction going towards Brook hill Road, probably on the corner (or rather set back from it , looking at the OS map ).
Mike

In the 1936 Kellys the salvation army is the first listing by Moat house road junction going towards Brook hill Road, probably on the corner (or rather set back from it , looking at the OS map ).
Mike
Hi Mike - was the hall on Moat House Road - or on Alum Rock Road?

It was listed on alum rock road, but was the first listing going towards town. On the c 1937 map below, i would reckon it is probably the red building. I would think the blue one (whatever it is)would be listed in Moat house Rd, though i can't be sure.
Mike

map_pt_alum_rock_road_c_1937.JPG

Kia ora Reg & Mrs Morris I don't know how I missed your post - apologies!
Fanny Gertrude Lucy STEPHENS (widowed WW1) lived at 787 until her death in 1948. I am wondering if the Mrs STEVENS you knew was actually her daughter Mabel Hannah Stephens who appears not to have married and died Oct 2003 aged 100. Blimey!
I'll try to follow Mabel's brothers forward and see what I can find!
Thank you!
Marlene

It was listed on alum rock road, but was the first listing going towards town. On the c 1937 map below, i would reckon it is probably the red building. I would think the blue one (whatever it is)would be listed in Moat house Rd, though i can't be sure.
Mike

Looking at Google Earth there is a new building on this site now - which is a shame. I wonder if there are any pictures of the Army hall?

DOES ANYBODY OUT THERE,who was at WARD END HALL School in the late 1950s remember DOUGLAS LAMBIE,also what or where has Veegie gone ?,i miss her posts. (don't know where this lands)

Do any of the members recall the Pardoe family, who lived inChurch Walk, at the end of St Margret’s Passage opposite the park?

Has anyone also heard a about St Margret’s Passage beinghaunted?

Does anybody remember the Nursery school in Ward End Park or its new Location on the site of Sladefield Road Secondary Modern? Any photos or memories greatly appreciated, currently involved in research into the history of nursery schools in Birmingham.

DOES ANYBODY OUT THERE,who was at WARD END HALL School in the late 1950s remember DOUGLAS LAMBIE,also what or where has Veegie gone ?,i miss her posts. (don't know where this lands)
Ward End Hall first opened in September 1958, I started there in Sept 1959 ex Leigh Road Junior & Infants, I dont remember a Douglas Lambie though!

Just came across this site today. I know it's an old thread but it bought back memories. I went to Leigh Road school in 1957 and remember Mrs Purnell very well. She gave me a slapped backside for snapping my pencil into two. She made me use both halves until I couldn't hold them to teach me to care for equipment. Mr Waldren was my favourite. I think Mr Mullins was the head and Miss Payne his deputy. Such a long time ago. I haven't been down there for many years. I did hear that the name had changed.

Hi Gillflower

Welcome to you, unfortunately I see this is one of the threads that lost all it's photos in the forum hacking and subsequent crash in 2011. We haven't gotten around to repairing this thread yet, but it is in hand.

I have taken a quick look through the thread and I can't see anywhere where this photo of Leigh Rd School might have been displayed so I will post it here. I have no personal knowledge of the school other than I used to work in the saw mill at the Metropolitan Cammell works next door behind the school.

Attachments

• Ward End Leigh Rd School ioe.JPG
    Ward End Leigh Rd School ioe.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 73
Hi does anybody remember a corner grocery and greengrocery shop situated in Cotterills Lane owned by the Smith's it was stechford end of Cotterills Lane.?

Hi Veegee 13/11/09 REF PAGE 133

Did you take your 11 plus at Thornton Rd,i failed mine in 1957/8,any memories of children or teachers.My best friend at Thornton school was John Price who had dark hair,just like his mother who was a lovely lady,he lived local, i had been to his house many times, we played with his old wind up recordplayer in his garden,he had been to my home several times.We both loved marching music,the Colonel Bogey March was his favourite 45 record.It was a sad day,when he left the school.

Another sensible boy and friend was John Hayes who lived at a greengrocers shop, close to Thornton Rd,he was tall and well built,i think he liked boxing. Other boys i can remember were
Jeffrey Woolley, Jeffrey Hemmings, Steven Cross.

I was sent to Ward End Hall shool shortly after failing the 11 plus

( Do you remember when Gary Porter was struck & killed around 1958/9 ? )

AT WARD END HALL school,teachers-Miss Lidgey-Mr Tompson-Miss Macerwright (Mr Haynes & Miss Butler, head teachers) also a blind man used to teach music and played the piano.

Hi Veegee,

I recognise all the names you gave,its a small world.I was at Ingleton rd Infants and the annex nearby,we played in the woods and skated on the large frozen pond in winter.

I remember a girl- Gloria Cooper,who lived at a shop near Ingleton rd.

Pat Lees was always chased by the boys,i didn't know she married Terry in 1963.

WARD END HALL school, i was in B.We may have been in the same class at some stage,i transferred to Hodge Hill Secondary at around 1960.

I left the Ward End area in 1965 and live on the south side of the city in Acocks Green / Olton district.
Hi Doger Geoffrey Woolley was my uncle he sadly passed away age 42

Yes the even side was on the 'Gate side'. I can't really remember David but I remember his Mother who was, as you have said, widowed. I believe their next door neighbour was Fogg and a family called Richmond also lived a couple of doors from them.

Cheers

Les
Hi, if you have any memories or information about the Fogg family in Bennett’s Road I’d be most interested, my grand mother was Rosina Fogg but she died in 1927, the family stayed on in the road for many years later. I’ve never seen a photo of her.

I recently re-discovered this photo which was taken around 1959 from 14 Exton Way, Washwood Heath (maisonette), the street shown is Membury Road.

Attachments

• View from 14 Exton Way.jpg
    View from 14 Exton Way.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
Bennetts Road. Washwood Heath

I lived in Bennetts Road. Washwood Heath. 1945-1966.

There was a shop half way down and Mr Meredith used to be the shopkeeper in the early 50's. Then it was owned by the Strong family and later the Oldacre family. The shop is now a private dwelling.

At the top of the road there was a dairy. Later the premises were took over by RTP Crisps. At the very top was Franklins which was a grocery shop.

Families that spring to mind are Tovey,Morris, Potter, Richmond, Guest, Densley, Hughes, Strong, Potter, Bone, Williams,Smith, Brookes, Grant, Wood,Foster and a few others.

At the very bottom of Bennetts Road was a newsagents shop an off licence and a sweet shop. The sweet shop was run by the Hadley family.

I used to live in bennetts road washwood heath i was born there in 1968, a group of us children would play in a building that was abandoned, the building was knocked down and houses were built which became sandway gardens. this building was next to number 32 ,i was in number 30. can anyone tell me what that building was.
I had some good memories as i grew up there i have since moved away but would like to revisit the area and see how much it has changed

Hello & welcome Lia, During the time frame you mention I would think that the building would have had to be part of the TA centre that was in that location.

Lived in chetwynd road , went to sladefied road, Thornton road , and then the big boys school burney Lane, from mid 70s onwards , form teacher at burney Lane was a lady called miss diahl I seem to remember firm but fair , suffers terribly with migraine . First love was Kay brelsford .. love the site bringing back some happy memories .

Back