• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alum Rock Rd - Ward End area

Re: ward end exservice club

Hi Dennis,

Most of the Met Sports Ground in Coleshill Road was sold
in the 1970s, I believe to Birmingham City Council, but the
Bowling Greens were kept. The club itself was sold to Banks'
Brewery in the early 1980's, and became the Beaufort
Sports and Social Club, (named after the now departed
Cinema just down the road). Unless there have been any
recent changes, I think the greens still exist.

Kind regards

Dave

Hi thanks for that.

Hi Veegee,

I havent looked on this site for a while and notice that you were asking about the Aishes. I remember them well. I went out with Brian Aish when I was a teenager. I was very sorry to read on here that he died. He had a brother Micky and a sister Pauline. Both boys were blond (and good looking)!
They lived in Chartis Road, Washwood Heath.
Were you a friend of theirs?
WendyP

Hi again,
Brian used to be friendly with Kenny Smith (I didnt know he was his cousin). Kenny had two brothers, Johnny and David and they lived down Adderley Road, Saltley. I wonder if this is the Kenny you mentioned.

WendyP

Hi Dennis,

Most of the Met Sports Ground in Coleshill Road was sold
in the 1970s, I believe to Birmingham City Council, but the
Bowling Greens were kept. The club itself was sold to Banks'
Brewery in the early 1980's, and became the Beaufort
Sports and Social Club, (named after the now departed
Cinema just down the road). Unless there have been any
recent changes, I think the greens still exist.

Kind regards

Dave

Thanks Dave, although I only live a few miles away, I no longer seem to go past the Met Club like when we lived in Hodge Hill. Interesting if it is still functioning, but I would have thought the canny bu**ers who I knew used to run the Club would have held out for a damn good payout from Tescos, and be living it up in the sun!!

Does anybody remember a fire at Dare the builders in Alam Rock Road in the late 1950s?

Thanks Dave, although I only live a few miles away, I no longer seem to go past the Met Club like when we lived in Hodge Hill. Interesting if it is still functioning, but I would have thought the canny bu**ers who I knew used to run the Club would have held out for a damn good payout from Tescos, and be living it up in the sun!!

Its still open. I had a domino match there a few months ago.

Terry

I meant to answer this thread some weeks ago but couldn't locate it. The Met Club is still open for business, I passed it this morning. Pleased to say Tesco doesn't seem to be doing great business, I will not shop there on principle, people in the area fought for years to prevent them getting planning permission, because of the loss of part of Brockhurst Playing Fields, but big money swayed the council in the end. It is now known as The Beaufort Club.

Thanks Sylvia and to you Terry. I finally went passed it today and I must say it looked truly ghastly. Glad to see at least the Club is still functioning.

I am a member of The Beaufort Club,I attend their dances on wednesday and sunday it is very friendly and well attended,hope it continues.

Hi pam
if i remember correctly there was a hell lot of old members from the ward end
exservice club club that used to come to the ward end and wednesday night and sunday night was all ways chocka block and it was a very big fine dance hall
and they put some good bands on for them to dance to
but due to certain things which i can not discuss it raninto finnanceual problems
and the disapearing finnaces it was forced to closed down and i beleive the sec
disapeared and the chairman died brought the club to an end and the committee
well its not worth mentioning
but i know he beaufort was a lovely club house i beleive the chairman was or had
a connection with the beaufort , but anyway its nice to know that its still going strong and its membership is growing
as alot of clubs are falling by the way side if there is a good committee members
whom intrest is for the club ,then it will survive that i am sure of
so pam keep on dancing the nights away ;
enjoy this lovely weather we are having and keep on dancing
best wishes astonian ;;;;;;

Hi Alex,
I went to Alston Road, but during the late 50's early 60's. I remember Denville Cresent and my nan lived in Caldwell Road.

Hilary

Re: Birmingham 8

What wonderful memories these postings have stirred.
My uncle Paddy Twittey had a driving school up "the Rock", I was born in Cranby Street, went to St Saviours, then Leigh Road when we moved to live in Warren Road. I have swam in the baths in George Arthur Rd, my aunt lived opposite, and the boating lake in Ward End Park. "get off that island" from the Parky, Long Tom, when we ran our canoes aground.
Could go on for ever, thanks to all who have posted here, especially the photographs.
Best wishes to all,
Househunter.
My mom used to live in Crawford St, then they got 'posh' and moved to Ash Rd. A bigger house I suppose, there were nine kids and my mom tells me they used to sleep one, one way, and the next one would have there feet in your face (if you see what I mean).
Do you remember Crown Mission in Crawford St. I used to go to Sunday school there.

I havent looked on this site for a while and notice that you were asking about the Aishes. I remember them well. I went out with Brian Aish when I was a teenager. I was very sorry to read on here that he died. He had a brother Micky and a sister Pauline. Both boys were blond (and good looking)!
WendyP[/QUOTE]

I knew Brian, Mick and their cousin Colin Aish who lived in Common Lane. I can remember Brian telling me that Mick and Colin had died.
Brian moved to a road off the Ridgeway, Opposite Witton Cemetary. He had lost an eye due to an accident. The last time I saw him was in 2002. He was a regular visitor to my market stall in Wednesbury Market where we used to have a cup of tea and discuss old times together.

Last edited:
WendyP

I knew Brian, Mick and their cousin Colin Aish who lived in Common Lane. I can remember Brian telling me that Mick and Colin had died.
Brian moved to a road off Court Lane, Erdington. He had lost an eye due to an accident. The last time I saw him was in 2002. He was a regular visitor to my market stall in Wednesbury Market where we used to have a cup of tea and discuss old times together.[/QUOTE]

Hi Les

Did I get it wrong that Brian had died? I see that you are saying Mick and Colin had died. If Brian is still alive and you still see him please remember me to him. I seem to remember they had a sister called Pauline too.
Wendy

Hi Wendy,
I knew all of them. Brian, Mick and Pauline lived in Chartist Road and I lived in Bennetts Road. Colin lived in Common Lane and I think he had a younger brother called Kevin. Brian was a couple of years older than me but Mick and Colin were class mates of mine at Leigh Road School. Brian joined the Merchant Navy for a time and came back to Leigh Road Senior School one day to see us all.
Mick was disabled with severe gout but worked on the door at Saltley Gardeners Club for a while.
I believe Pauline lived near the Fox and Goose at one time.
Colin died quite young. I seem to remember someone mentioning a car accident - but I'm not really sure.
Brian lost an eye in an accident and after seperating from his wife lived with his daughter in a cul de sac off the Ridgeway. opposite Witton Cemetary. He was a regular passenger on the no 7 bus route on which I worked and we often visited each others houses.
A few years later I left the buses and had a market stall in Wednesbury Market where Brian used to come and see me.
He told me that Mick had died.
I think the last time I saw him was in 2002 in Dudley Road Hospital grounds when I was visiting someone. He was a patient but had sneaked out of the ward in his pjames and dressing gown and told me he was 'going over to the pub'

Last edited:
worked with Colin for a few years at S U Carbereter and his dad Tom, used drink with his dad in the Pelham pub I'm sure we are talking about the same family Colins older brother lives in tamworth.

Does anyone who were the Salvation Army hall on Alum Rock Road was?

Back