• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alum Rock Rd - Ward End area

The teacher who hit with the ruler was Mrs Rouse...........my hubby was on the recieving end of the rulers :cry:
He must have been a naughty boy then ;)

Can you imagine teachers doing that now..........maybe they wouldn't have such a hard time if they could :rolleyes:

Hubby was at Thornton Road 1950-1955.

Hi
What was your hubby's name? I may remember him, it looks as though we were there at the same time.

Regards

His name is James (Jim, Jimmy) Herbert and he lived in St Agatha's Road opposite the school. When he left in 1955 he went to Central Grammar school

His name is James (Jim, Jimmy) Herbert and he lived in St Agatha's Road opposite the school. When he left in 1955 he went to Central Grammar school

Hi
Was his dad called Tommy ? If it was his dad and my dad were friends. I think they worked together at the Gas Board. I can remember going to a party at his house.

Your husband may remember my mom Mrs Brown, she worked at Thornton Road School, she was a dinner lady and she would look after the kids in the playground at lunchtime.

Yes his Dad was Tommy and he did work on the Gas Board. What was your Dads name?
He recalls your Mom, Mrs Brown.
He is curious to know your name can you IM me please.

somewhere he has a photo of an outing with the Gas Board so he will try and see if he can find it.

Yes his Dad was Tommy and he did work on the Gas Board. What was your Dads name?
He recalls your Mom, Mrs Brown.
He is curious to know your name can you IM me please.

somewhere he has a photo of an outing with the Gas Board so he will try and see if he can find it.

Yes I'm sure my Mom & Dad had the same photo, where there were a large group of people posing for a photograph with all the children sitting on the floor at the front, I bet you're husband and I were on it - I think it must have been a works outing.

Ask him if he recalls the name Billy Degg, he also worked with dad, he had a daughter Valerie, she was about the same age as me.

I'm new to this site so not quite up to speed yet - what does IM mean?

spk soon

regards veegee

Yes I'm sure my Mom & Dad had the same photo, where there were a large group of people posing for a photograph with all the children sitting on the floor at the front, I bet you're husband and I were on it - I think it must have been a works outing.

Ask him if he recalls the name Billy Degg, he also worked with dad, he had a daughter Valerie, she was about the same age as me.

I'm new to this site so not quite up to speed yet - what does IM mean?

spk soon

regards veegee

Bye the way my dad was Frank Brown and we lived in William Cook Road, which was almost opposite St Agathas.

I was at Thornton Road School between 1946 and 1950 and I remember Mrs Brown who helped out at dinner time. I seem to remember her as a tall, slender lady. There was also a Mrs Cresswell there at some stage doing the same job.

Also, I remember teachers Mr Dallow, Mr Hardcastle, Mr Goodman, Miss Murgatroyd - Mr Hall the headmaster, who left just before I did and was replaced by Mr Petherick.

I received the ruler across the knuckles from one of the teachers - and the flying stick of chalk if we weren't paying attention!

I was at Thornton Road School between 1946 and 1950 and I remember Mrs Brown who helped out at dinner time. I seem to remember her as a tall, slender lady. There was also a Mrs Cresswell there at some stage doing the same job.

Also, I remember teachers Mr Dallow, Mr Hardcastle, Mr Goodman, Miss Murgatroyd - Mr Hall the headmaster, who left just before I did and was replaced by Mr Petherick.

I received the ruler across the knuckles from one of the teachers - and the flying stick of chalk if we weren't paying attention!

Hi

I think you may be mixing my mom up with someone else, she was a tall lady but she was at Thornton Rd approx 1956 - 1982. So that was after your time.

Yes, the flying chalk and the blackboard rubbers too !

Regards
icon7.gif

He doesn't recall a Billy Degg but he does recall "little Vicky Brown" :)

Do you remember Margaret Cresswell?

Dave 19390: Maybe it was the Mrs Cresswell you remember?

The Mrs Cresswell I remember had a son who attended the school at the same time as me but unfortunately he died while he was a pupil there. His mother still continued with her dinnertime duties even after this which must have been very painful for her I fear.

Perhaps I am confused over Mrs Brown - it was 60 years ago now - it only seems like last year!

He doesn't recall a Billy Degg but he does recall "little Vicky Brown" :)

Do you remember Margaret Cresswell?

Dave 19390: Maybe it was the Mrs Cresswell you remember?

Hi
I was "little Vicky Brown", not so little now. :p
No I don't remember Margaret Cresswell. Who was she?

I'd love to see the photo you mentioned if you can dig it out. Dad used to have some of him and some mates on motor bikes - I think they'd gone to a sort of rally. I'm sure Tommy was of them. Trouble is I think Dad got rid of them, there are lots of photos my sister and I remember of us when we were kids and never found in Dad's stuff when we lost him.

Is Tommy still alive?

regards

Hi

Margaret went to Thornton Road school and lived in St Agatha's Road.

Tom died several years ago in Birmingham and his wife Anne died down here in Cornwall where she was living with us.

Did you know anyone from Woodwells Road? My Grandparents lived there.

I'll have to nag him to try and see if he can find the photo ;)

Hi

Margaret went to Thornton Road school and lived in St Agatha's Road.

Tom died several years ago in Birmingham and his wife Anne died down here in Cornwall where she was living with us.

Did you know anyone from Woodwells Road? My Grandparents lived there.

I'll have to nag him to try and see if he can find the photo ;)

I knew someone called John Price. I was at school with him.
There was also a family called Jackon my mom was friends with them.

How long have you lived in Cornwall? I'm in Somerset. Do you miss Brum?

regards

Hi Doger - I only have a photo of Pat & Terry, but I don't know whether you are allowed to show a photo of a third party on these forums. I can ask P & T and see if they would agree.

Spk soon VG

Does anyone remember the Aish family? Micky Aish, and a cousin I think his name was Kenny . I seem to remember they used to live in the Aston Church Road area. Micky was quite small in stature with very blonde hair. This was during the late 50's.

I seem to remember the Aish family used to live down the road from me, next to the Methodist Church on Washwood Heath Road opposite the Swan pub.

I knew micky he had a brother brian and sister pauline. I think brian died a few years ago.he was married to diane who later got divorced to him and she now as remarried and lives in isle of wright. Micky as used saltley amateurr gardners club at salyley i do not know if he still does. I think pauline is still alive. I have no further info to offer you . I know no telephone numbers or addresses. Hope thie might help you. Regrds reg morris

Re: ward end exservice club

Hi LES .
DID YOU EVER GO TO THE EX SERVICE MANS CLUB, IN WARD END PARK RD
THEY TELL ME THAT THEY HAD A BRILLIANT BOWLING GREEN AND A LADIES TEAM THEY RECKON IT WAS BIGGER THAN THE ONE AT THE SWAN YARDLEY
I USED TO DRINK IN THE CASTLE ON MOSELEY RD BY THE BATHS AND I USED TO GO TO THE EAST B,HAM SOCIAL CLUB , BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ,;;;

Hi Astonian. I did. Played bowls there many a time. It was sometimes known as the Corner Club or the Labour Club to distinguish it from it's neighbour a few doors down opposite Ward End Park Hall, the Ward End Conservative Club (Maitland Hall - anyone know why?) I presume. Google still shows fairly decent looking Bowling Greens behind both clubs, but the buildings look very sad now from the Ground shot to how I remember them in the 70's and 80's. As does the Library in between. Not sure about the Ladies strength, but I think they may have had a side in the Parks League. In those days it was inconceivable to encounter ladies in the Warwick and Worcester Leagues (all 13 divisions) or the three Ward End Friendly midweek leagues. It just wasn't allowed! How times have changed. I think we lads were scared stiff they might beat us, and we'd have to live with this for ever than..!! In those days, pubs and clubs were our lives.
My dad was captain of the Swan when they reigned supreme in the top division in the 50's, then the green was taken for a car park, and they migrated to the Fox & Goose, then once more the Green was required for a Car Park and shopping centre, and they moved on to the Metropolitan Cammell sports ground, which I believe is now a Tescos. Arghhh...progress?

Back