• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alum Rock Rd - Ward End area

I was born in the Sorrento Maternity Hospital Wake Green in 1946 - which I understand has now been demolished.

I grew up in William Cook Road Ward End. I married in 1967 at St Margarets Church Ward End, then I lived in Coleshill, Aldridge & Redditch.

I worked at Boots in New Street, and Lilia White Sales/Southalls.

I've lived in Somerset now for seven years now. Somerset is a beautiful place to live but I really miss my Birmingham roots.

There are many Brummies down here and I find myself levitating towards a Brummie accent.

There is nothing like a Brummie. The locals here are so unfriendly, walking along any street in Birmingham people always acknowledge each other, but here they look at you as if to say "who the hell are you?"

Hi , i live in ward end on alum rock road. Did you know southalls is demolshed,it as left behind a massive building space.reg

Hi , i live in ward end on alum rock road. Did you know southalls is demolshed,it as left behind a massive building space.reg

Yes I knew that Southalls has gone. I was looking on Google Earth and thought I was looking in the wrong area - couldn't believe it. It made me feel quite sad actually, Southalls was an institution, everybody in Ward End/Alum Rock either had worked there or knew someone who had. When did it go,and do you know what they are going to put there?

regards

I was born in the Sorrento Maternity Hospital Wake Green in 1946 - which I understand has now been demolished.

I grew up in William Cook Road Ward End. I married in 1967 at St Margarets Church Ward End, then I lived in Coleshill, Aldridge & Redditch.

I worked at Boots in New Street, and Lilia White Sales/Southalls.

I've lived in Somerset now for seven years now. Somerset is a beautiful place to live but I really miss my Birmingham roots.

There are many Brummies down here and I find myself levitating towards a Brummie accent.

There is nothing like a Brummie. The locals here are so unfriendly, walking along any street in Birmingham people always acknowledge each other, but here they look at you as if to say "who the hell are you?"

Hi Veegee 13/11/09 REF PAGE 133

Did you take your 11 plus at Thornton Rd,i failed mine in 1957/8,any memories of children or teachers.My best friend at Thornton school was John Price who had dark hair,just like his mother who was a lovely lady,he lived local, i had been to his house many times, we played with his old wind up recordplayer in his garden,he had been to my home several times.We both loved marching music,the Colonel Bogey March was his favourite 45 record.It was a sad day,when he left the school.

Another sensible boy and friend was John Hayes who lived at a greengrocers shop, close to Thornton Rd,he was tall and well built,i think he liked boxing. Other boys i can remember were
Jeffrey Woolley, Jeffrey Hemmings, Steven Cross.

I was sent to Ward End Hall shool shortly after failing the 11 plus

( Do you remember when Gary Porter was struck & killed around 1958/9 ? )

AT WARD END HALL school,teachers-Miss Lidgey-Mr Tompson-Miss Macerwright (Mr Haynes & Miss Butler, head teachers) also a blind man used to teach music and played the piano.

Hi Veegee,

I recognise all the names you gave,its a small world.I was at Ingleton rd Infants and the annex nearby,we played in the woods and skated on the large frozen pond in winter.

I remember a girl- Gloria Cooper,who lived at a shop near Ingleton rd.

Pat Lees was always chased by the boys,i didn't know she married Terry in 1963.

WARD END HALL school, i was in B.We may have been in the same class at some stage,i transferred to Hodge Hill Secondary at around 1960.

I left the Ward End area in 1965 and live on the south side of the city in Acocks Green / Olton district.

Last edited:
Yes I knew that Southalls has gone. I was looking on Google Earth and thought I was looking in the wrong area - couldn't believe it. It made me feel quite sad actually, Southalls was an institution, everybody in Ward End/Alum Rock either had worked there or knew someone who had. When did it go,and do you know what they are going to put there?

regards

Demolished about 2 years ago.undecided yet what to use site for, housing and medical centre mentioned.
all the best reg morris

Hi Veegee

Did you take your 11 plus at Thornton Rd,i failed mine in 1957/8,any memories of children or teachers in your class ? Remember the foggy days of the 1950s,the hard cold winters,we played on those long slides in the playground.I think Mrs Brown had a daughter in our class with a ponytail.Most of my relations weddings were at St Margarets Church.The name Victoria rings a bell,a tall girl in our class.

Hi I did reply last night but goodness knows where it ended up, think it must have got lost in cyberspace.

I hope it gets to you sometime because I put a few names that I'd remmebered. Let me know. Anyway I am Victoria, who are you?

Hi Dodger, I think I must have been the girl with the ponytail. I remember the names you mentioned also Billy Bloxham, Colin West, Christine Horsefall.

Teachers: Miss France (was my first teacher), then there was Mr Force, Miss Middleton, Miss Hamer, Mrs Sandon (school secretary) who used to take the money for our saving stamps.

I think I must have failed my 11 + as well. I don't remember. I've always thought I never took it but I must have done as I suppose it was compulsory.

I went to Ward End Hall as well, I left when I was 15, how about you?

Those were the days when the Youth Employment Office found you a job, they gave a choice of Officework, Shopwork or a job in a Factory, I went to work at Boots the Chemist in New Street.

Love to hear more of your memories, where did you live?

regards Veegee

Hi Doger

I do remember the day Gary Porter was struck by lightening - to this day I can still remember the atmosphere in the school. I have always been afraid of thunder storms ever since.

I am still in touch with Terry Ballinger who was one of Gary Porter's friends. Terry married Pat Lees in 1963 - they are still together. Do you remember Terry?

Was Miss Lidgey your first teacher at Ward End Hall? She was mine, if so we must have been in the same class.

Did you ever go to the dance Cloverley Hall on a Thursday night?

Did you go to Ingleton Road Infants?

Hi Doger

I do remember the day Gary Porter was struck by lightening - to this day I can still remember the atmosphere in the school. I have always been afraid of thunder storms ever since.

I am still in touch with Terry Ballinger who was one of Gary Porter's friends. Terry married Pat Lees in 1963 - they are still together. Do you remember Terry?

Was Miss Lidgey your first teacher at Ward End Hall? She was mine, if so we must have been in the same class.

Did you ever go to the dance Cloverley Hall on a Thursday night?

Did you go to Ingleton Road Infants?

Hi Veegee

Miss Lidgey, who i found to be a nice teacher used to be very friendly with a Mr Tompson,the boys P E teacher.Miss Lidgey used to take us all to swimming lessons,i remember it well.

You have an amazing memory,you certainly jogged mine.

Hi Veegee,

I used to sit next to Alan Johnson and can recall he had a habit of farting a lot,the girls would shout at him,it was so funny, he was good looking with dark hair,the girls still loved him.

Michael Newcombe and someone called Parker lived in Sladefield Rd near the Pelham

Another lad i remember well was a John Yelland who lived at a shop in Washwood heath rd,next to French's, was there an old mill, just around the corner,i may be dreaming it.
John Yellands father being killed,a sad event,i had forgot about.

Hi Veegee,

I couldn't remember any of the girls names,but since you named some of them,my memory of them has come back.

Tina Martin had brown hair in a ponytail, Rita Biddle and Avril Marriott i think had mousy darkish hair. Hazel Twining had fairish blond hair.Diane Mapes i remember the name,i don't think any of the boys fancied her.Most of the boys had crushes on Tina,Hazel and Avril

Can you remember the day when half of the class had the cane ? It was during Mr Sinfields music lesson,some of the lads were fooling about and a Mr Westwood the woodwork teacher,reported the incident to Mr Haines the headmaster,to this day i can still see Mr Westwoods spectacled face peering through the glass watching everyone.
Mr Haines would cane the boys across the fingers,would smart a bit,but i had respect for him and Mr Sinfield, who was a calm gentle man.

Mr Coker the bearded music teacher,the boys used to avoid him as he was known to be gay.
The shops you mentioned,i remember them well,we used to buy those Pea Shooters and caterpults,expect highly banned today.Bon Bon, Paynes shoe repairs, I remember a Matty & Rhodes TV rental shop in Washwood Heath rd,also Jollys Radio Hi Fi at the Fox & Goose

As you left Ward End Hall school at 15 in 1961 do you have any old photos of the school or class mates ?

Last edited:
Hi Veegee

I remember the name Terry Ballinger,he was popular with the girls,also all the boys used to fancy Pat Lees who lived at the corner shop.

Miss Lidgey, who i found to be a nice teacher used to be very friendly with a Mr Tompson,the boys P E teacher.Miss Lidgey used to take us all to swimming lessons,i remember it well.

Pat Lees lived opposite me in William Cook Road. I'm trying to think which corner shop you mean.

I remember the swimming lessons at Woodcock Street baths. I always hated it, so much so I never learned to swim, which has always been my biggest regret.

Hi Veegee

Did you take your 11 plus at Thornton Rd,i failed mine in 1957/8,any memories of children or teachers in your class ? Remember the foggy days of the 1950s,the hard cold winters,we played on those long slides in the playground.I think Mrs Brown had a daughter in our class with a ponytail. My relatives weddings were at St Margarets Church and i was christened there.I'm pleased that i can still remember you Victoria.I lived not far from you at Stretton grove,off Southern rd in Ward End and the name is John.

( Do you remember when Gary Porter was struck & killed around 1958/9 ? )

AT WARD END HALL school,teachers-Miss Lidgey-Mr Tompson-Miss Macerwright (Mr Haynes & Miss Butler, head teachers) also a blind man used to teach music and played the piano.

Hi Veegee,

I recognise all the names you gave,its a small world.I was at Ingleton rd Infants and the annex nearby,we played in the woods and skated on the large frozen pond in winter.

I remember a girl- Gloria Cooper,who lived at a shop near Ingleton rd.

Pat Lees was always chased by the boys,i didn't know she married Terry in 1963.

WARD END HALL-the school-Can you remember were you in a A-B or C stream ? I think i was in B.We may have been in the same class at some stage,i transferred to Hodge Hill Secondary at around 1960.

Hi
I also went to Ingleton Road annexe in St Margarets Avenue. It was eventually turned into a vicarage, when I was getting married at St Margarets Church we had to go there to see the vicar. I went up to Ingleton road school for a while then on to Thornton Road. I only remember one teacher at Ingleton - Miss Wentle.

Pupils: Margaret Burell (her mom and dad had a fruit shop at the Fox & Goose.) Alan Johnson, John Madeley, Pauline Appleby, Billy Pratt.

The blind music teacher was Mr Sinfield. My god this is getting the old brain cells working.

I was in B stream all the way through school. So we may have been in the same class, what is your sir name. P.S. I understand if you'd rather not say.

I used to play where flats stand in St Margarets Avenue, I seem to remember playing in big holes which had filled with water.

Did you play at the REC - it's at junction of St Margarets Rd/Morris Road?

Veegee :)

Don't have any photos of Belchers Lane playing feilds, but do have memories as it was the playing feilds our school used. We went all the way from Cherrywood in Bordesley Green for an afternoon running around playing hockey!

My husband used to live in Blechers Lane and his garden backed onto the fields. We drove down Belchers Lane a couple of years ago and the playing fields were still there but appeared to be unused, probably waiting for planning permission for a housing estate!

Hi Veegee

I remember the name Terry Ballinger,he was popular with the girls,also all the boys used to fancy Pat Lees who i thought lived at a shop,but you say she lived opposite you.It was such a long time ago.

I also remember a Miss Wentle,at INGLETON INFANTS and Mr Sinfield, the blind music teacher at WARD END HALL, it was for sure.

. PS--did you get the info i sent on Alan Johnson & Billy Pratt,Paul Madely etc ? I was in that class, if you can remember- Douglas Lambie,Ronnie Baker,Paddy Mooney,Andrew Kelly,you may recall me.

Hi Doder
I didn't get any info but I do remember some of those names, Alan Johnson lived in the first prefab by the rec, John Madeley's dad owned the butcher shop round the corner from Ingleton Rd School. I was in touch with Billy Patt a few years ago on the Friends Reunited site.

Hi Veegee

I remember the name Terry Ballinger,he was popular with the girls,also all the boys used to fancy Pat Lees who i thought lived at a shop,but you say she lived opposite you.It was such a long time ago.

I also remember a Miss Wentle,at INGLETON INFANTS and Mr Sinfield, the blind music teacher at WARD END HALL, it was for sure.
, if you can remember- Douglas Lambie,Ronnie Baker,Paddy Mooney,Andrew Kelly,you may recall me.

Hi Veegee,

I was in the same class as Alan Johnson,who had dark hair,good looking,the girls loved him.Also John Madeley was a smart boy.Billy Pratt i seem to remember had dark curly hair,i think we used to fight a lot.

Where you ever a prefect ? i seem to think you were for some reason.

Another lad i remember well was a John Yelland who lived at a shop in Washwood heath rd,next to French's, was there an old mill, just around the corner ?

I can't remember many of the girls names,except for a Betty Bleeny.

All the best Dod-ger.

Hi
Yes I was one of those girls who thought they were in love with Alan Johnson, but he only had eyes for Pat Lees!

Some names for you: Hazele Twining, Diane Mapes, Tina Martin, Verna Winter, Avril Marriott, Richard Whitehouse, Christopher Sleigh, Rita Biddle, Elaine Craig .........

John Yelland's dad was killed in a car accident at the traffic lights by the old police station at the junction of Bordesley Green East and Station Road.

No, I was never a prefect. I wasn't well behaved enough, how about you.

I've tried to remember the mill you refered to, but can't sorry.

I can remember Sulley's shoe shop, Ted Haines, Wrensons, George Mason's, Paynes shoe repairers and Betts shoe repairers, Alvey's Chemist Municipal Bank, Dewhurts Butchers and sweet shop called the Bon Bon.

Do you remember the lady who owned French's used to sit on a chair outside the shop, she was quite small and wore a funny hat, didn't she sell seeds etc.

Speak soon
Bye

Last edited:
I am sure that Mr Sinfield was teacher of music at Sladefield Road Sec' Mod' school at one time. the other music teacher was Mr Cyril Mapstone,
Mathematics was Mr George Westacott, Geography was Mr Court, Wood work was Mr Francis and Mr Beasley he did technical drawing as well, History was Mr Liversidge, Science was Mr Shutt and Mr Isherwood, I am not sure of the English teachers name he was a very big fellow with gray hair i think it was Mr Jones.
Regards Chris B

I am sure that Mr Sinfield was teacher of music at Sladefield Road Sec' Mod' school at one time. the other music teacher was Mr Cyril Mapstone,
Mathematics was Mr George Westacott, Geography was Mr Court, Wood work was Mr Francis and Mr Beasley he did technical drawing as well, History was Mr Liversidge, Science was Mr Shutt and Mr Isherwood, I am not sure of the English teachers name he was a very big fellow with gray hair i think it was Mr Jones.
Regards Chris B

I remember Mr Sinfield lived in Thornton Road, so I guess he must have visited all the local schools.

Regards
Veegee

Hi Veegee

, if you can remember- Douglas Lambie,Ronnie Baker,Paddy Mooney,Andrew Kelly,you may recall me.

Hi Veegee,

I was in the same class as Alan Johnson,who had dark hair,good looking,the girls loved him.Also John Madeley was a smart boy.Billy Pratt i seem to remember had dark curly hair,i think we used to fight a lot.

You were never a prefect, i may be thinking of Hodge Hill shool.

Another lad i remember well was a John Yelland who lived at a shop in Washwood heath rd,next to French's, was there an old mill, just around the corner,i may be dreaming it.
John Yellands farther being killed,a sad event,i had forgot.

I can't remember many of the girls names,except for a Betty Bleeny,may be at Thornton rd.

Hi Veegee,

You have woke up my memory of the girls in the class at Ward End Hall school.

Tina Martin had brown hair in a ponytail, Rita Biddle and Avril Marriott i think had mousy darkish hair. Hazel Twining had fairish blond hair.Diane Mapes i remember the name.

Can you remember the day when half of the class had the cane ? It was during Mr Sinfields music lesson,some of the lads were fooling about and a Mr Westwood the woodwork teacher,reported the incident to Mr Haynes the headmaster,to this day i can still see Mr Westwoods spectacled face peering through the glass watching everyone.

Hi Doger

Glad the site is back - I can remember having to go to Mr Haines's room many many times for bad behaviour! He used to smack the girls on the bottom. I imagine he enjoyed that more than we did !!

There was also another music teacher called Mr Coker, he had a very large beard.

Tina Martin's family owned or managed a garage at the Fox & Goose. I think it may be a petrol station today. It was at the fork of Washwood Heath & Alum Rock Rd. She and her family lived above it.

Hazel she had a baby when she was 14 or 15.

Diane Mapes was always a little on the large side. Her Dad always gave her a lift to and from school and we girls used to say that's why she was fat, but thinking about it now she lived by the Pelham which is quite a long walk, but we didn't see it like that then, and I suppose we were a little envious as non of our dad's had a car in those days.

Talking of caning, one teacher at Thornton actually hit me across the back's of my fingers with a ruler which was side on, my god that hurt. I think teachers got away with such a lot then.

Do you still live in Brum?

Did you get my thread with names of shops?

Spk soon

The teacher who hit with the ruler was Mrs Rouse...........my hubby was on the recieving end of the rulers :cry:
He must have been a naughty boy then ;)

Can you imagine teachers doing that now..........maybe they wouldn't have such a hard time if they could :rolleyes:

Hubby was at Thornton Road 1950-1955.

Back