• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alum Rock Rd - Ward End area

Hi Rupert,

I thought that myself, I'm puzzled by this one. Hopefully someone will recognise it.

Macca

Macca, maybe it's Anthony or Parkside. There is a wall going around the corner on the left which may indicate a school or church and Parkside seems to have a wall still. Anthony has the bend in the road though so maybe Anthony. Have not looked at other possibilities.

Roy Rocket, I lived in that area during the years that you mentioned and never new about those houses at all. Must have walked by them on Wright Road hundreds of times and turned the corner at Ted Haynes grocers. I remember that just towards Alum Rock from there was, what I thought was a bombed building, that had been levelled and was the occasional location of a small fun fair with dodgems and such. It looks like there are still two of your houses remaining and a small parking area. I rather think that those houses were the same build as the ones that fronted Wright Road and were not back to back as such but not far removed with rudimentary electrical and water supply. Still we had our own loo...outside ofcourse. It was not a slum area when I lived there but the houses are another half century older now.

Macca

I agree with Rupert in his thinking that Alum Rock Rd may be the point that the photo was taken from. Only I think it may be Belchers Lane.

Phil

Looking on google earth, the only road I can find looking from A.R.Rd with a similar curve is Sladefield Rd, But I would'nt swear to it.

Terry

:)Astonion, Read yrs re-barbers. My brief history of the area,I attended ASTON RD School from 1933/1941.Not offen could we afford an haircut.but every time i went to that barbers shop straight from school it useually pouded down. Eric the barber went crackers because my hair was soaking wet, the cost 3d,Our mom & dad used the broadway pub. now Macdonlds,I know the area well, I now live in Alvechurch, which you will know of cause.

The houses on the original photograph have distinctive roof lines, I've scoured google street view and I'm still none the wiser. I think Belchers Lane is the most likely option going by the bend in the road.

Macca

Mecca It could have been taken from the site of the former Pelham Arms pub?

If you click on open original the photo will enlarge. In the background is a tall chimney which could be the old brick works. The photo is obviously going to wards the city as chimneys mean industry. I think the photo is around 1900. The area where the Pelum was would have been countryside and would not have had gas lamps I would think:):)

A look at the 1890 survey will confirm Wendy's thoughts.
Housing development ended not far past Highfield Road.

It's Parkside I am pretty sure. The photo is about 1900 as previously stated and maybe the chimny in the distance is in fact a brickworks. The 1890 survey map does not show much development at all this far out but it takes time to compile a survey so maybe the data would have been gathered several years earlier. By 1900 possibly there would have been 15 to 20 years further development but not enough time maybe to go very far past here. The gabled houses at the end of the street have gone and the stores have changed somewhat but look further down the street on GE at the row houses and they are still there with mostly the same windows and brick wall front gardens. You will have to zoom in on the photo to count the windows.
Houses were later built on the other side of the street and if you use GE you will be able to see a wall whose forebear is on the left photo at the end of the street.
The picture shows a curve to the right that looks maybe a little more exagerated than in GE plan aeriel view. I think that this is foreshortening of the camera lens and Parkside has a curve to the right also.
Another thing that comes to mind is that Alum Rock Rd. slopes down to the left of the photo Which is the case there as I recall.
Actually, these houses look charming, a better quality and a little bigger than what I was used to and Maybe they will survive rabid re-development.

If you have a wheel mouse, hold down Ctrl. and use the wheel to zoom in. This will give you more magnification. But you guys all knew this already.

Rupert
According to Richard Olivers Ordnance Survey guide, the survey for Birmingham for this edition was done in 1885-7
Mike

:):)Hi Readers,Iam very interested in reading about B;Ham 8. I know the area well, but are their any readers from B;Ham 9 where i hale from i.e.Alston Rd school.class of 1932/41.Raids.monkey runs.etc.Best wishes. Alec. P.S.Welcome back BHN.

Hi
I Lived just off the Washwood Heath road,as a child in the 50s,i remember the Chocolate Cabin sweet shop.
We used to play in the Bromford Lane clay pits,a deep hole in the ground,like a mini Grand Canyon.
Did anyone go to Thornton rd primary school from around 1954-1958 ? I remember a very strict old teacher there, called Miss Hamer.

I went to Thornton Road 1953/1958 my mom was Mrs Brown she did playground duty, she was there for many years.

Hi
I Lived just off the Washwood Heath road,as a child in the 50s,i remember the Chocolate Cabin sweet shop.
We used to play in the Bromford Lane clay pits,a deep hole in the ground,like a mini Grand Canyon.
Did anyone go to Thornton rd primary school from around 1954-1958 ? I remember a very strict old teacher there, called Miss Hamer.

I went to Thornton Road 1954 -1958 and I do remember Miss Hamer, she was very strict, I remember being terrified of her, but I also remember she had a nice side to her. Maybe they could with more teacher like that these days??

My mom was Mrs Brown, she was a dinner lady, and she used to do playround patrol - all the kids loved her. She worked there for over 20 years.

Back