• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alton Douglas

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi guys if you want a good book to read take a Alton Douglas book its is jammed packed with glossy pictures through and through
And the write ups of every subject from start to finish
This man Alton whom most of us know covered brum in our yester years from before the war and after
I do not think he left a stone unturned with his topics and he must have covered every building and street in brum
I know the total of this subject thread is called take a good book to bed
But today I got 45 books of Altona mint conditions of a. Least half of his library he as printed and signed by himself
I responded to an advert in our local paper this morning and emediately contacted the owners
And I got the whole lot for 45 pounds a real gem of a collection
Apparently it was belonging to an old gentleman whom collected these history books from many years he is aged 86 years old
His daughter told us and now he is in care and unable to read them and suffers from demention
So she thought she would dispose of his collections of painting and medals and alsorts he also as a lot of other books a lot on Walsall where he grew up
He had a great passion for the Birmingham areas as well the books are all different parts of brum andsubject, so I recon I ha be got about 3 months worth of reading in bed for me and I can tell you there ain't want book that does not memories for me with the large illustrations of pictures
I recon if I was to down load these photos to myself and transfers them on photo graphs paper it would replace all the nicked photos of this forum
Alton as done a great job it must have taken them over the years of growing up. But I do reomend that you buy his books
Good night I am off for a good night with a good book called Birmingham at work astonian,,,,,,,,,Alan,,,,,,,

Good morning my little flower jean, another good book I got with them yesterday
You may or not have read or seen its title the treacle stick the memoirs of and written by her self Helen butcher
She was born in sheepcote street and her story of her life through stages from 1917 / 1942
It coversner life through Ladywood , Aston ,and erdington from a little girls eyes to old age some expressions make you smile
Give my regards to Pete keep shining my little flower Alan,,, astonian,,,,,

Back