• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Almost?Brummies.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where do you come from they say,not often though because my broad accent gives it away.I am a 'brummie', well almost.
When I read your lovely postings I realise how fortunate I have been.
I was born in 1942 in the Staffordshire moorlands.My childhood was spent in the countryside,we wanted for nothing.My Dad worked down the pits,(wages and free coal.)We bought produce from farms,my mothers father was a butcher so her family was quite 'well off'.
When I was 8years old my Dad decided that he didn't want to crawl on his belly underground for the rest of his life so he would become a policeman.
At 5ft 9in he was too short to join the local force(have you seen the size of some of the policemen nowadays)so he came to Birmingham and we followed a year later.
Dad had a good job and we had a lovely three bedroom,modern house rent free.We were never a rich family but we did not suffer any hardships.
My Potteries accent soon disappeared and I became a brummie.
I feel just as proud of this City and its history as anyone who was born here,so much so that I could not imagine living very far from where i can hear the brummie accent.
Are there any more,almost brummies,out there that feel the way that I do.
Incidently my mother never lost her accent and always referred to the moorlands as 'home'.

I,m really mixed brummie
Dad was brummie his dad was brummie his mom was Irish . His grandad was brummie ..
Mom is brummie her dad was west bromwich her mom was from kent. Moms grandad was from Bletchley Bucks(which is about 5 mile form where I now live. (gascoignes )

Does this sound confusing it si to me soemtimes.

Your roots are where your heart is .and mine is in Brum same as yours.

Ar Kid

Back