• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alma Street School

I remember Rita we were quite good friends her mom and dad had the wallpaper shop in alma st
Hi Marg, I have been chatting to my mom, she remembers you very well, I think she as a pic of you on a school photo. Mom said do you still live local. We live in Great Barr. She said to say hello. Kind regards Angela

Hi Marg, I have been chatting to my mom, she remembers you very well, I think she as a pic of you on a school photo. Mom said do you still live local. We live in Great Barr. She said to say hello. Kind regards Angela
I cant believe after all these years that I have heard Ritas name twice the other was a grandson of the lady who had the shop next door to your moms .I have lived also in Great Barr for the last 47 yrs first in Fowlmere rd and now we live on the Pear Tree estate where abouts are you . Tell her to put the picture on here ive got one on the Lozells school site when I was about 14 tell her Barry Brotherhood is one of my facebook friends he was the clever one.well please remember me to her and prehaps we are nabours and dont know that would be funny wouldnt it,bye for now margaret

I cant believe after all these years that I have heard Ritas name twice the other was a grandson of the lady who had the shop next door to your moms .I have lived also in Great Barr for the last 47 yrs first in Fowlmere rd and now we live on the Pear Tree estate where abouts are you . Tell her to put the picture on here ive got one on the Lozells school site when I was about 14 tell her Barry Brotherhood is one of my facebook friends he was the clever one.well please remember me to her and prehaps we are nabours and dont know that would be funny wouldnt it,bye for now margaret
Hi Margaret, great to hear back from you. Yes I have Barry Brotherhood on facebook to, my mom isn't on there though, she's only just using email, lol. I will ask my mom if she remembers the lady next door, can you remember her name, what my mom told me there was a few shops around. We live off Greenholm Road. I think I may have the picture I will have to put it on here, I may have already put a school class photo on, can't remember if it was on another thread as it was a few months ago. I will let her know tomorrow you have been in touch as I only live a few doors away from her and I pop in for tea and toast when I've dropped my children off to school, lol. Great talking to you, speak soon. Angela

Hi again my husbands brother used to live in greenholm rd no 115 a few yrs ago now they moved to blakeland rd after just round the corner small world did you go to the great barr comp as my own children did my daughter was born 1975 so your quite close in age that would be strange if you know each other.I will see stan next week I will ask him her name I know she didnt live in alma st she lived in gibson rd handsworth just had the shop there .
Bye again margaret

Hi there, yes isn't it a small world, I can't believe that, we live on Anstey. I did go to Great Barr School, My form tutor was Mrs Bojan, I was born in 1976, I probably did know her. Yes my nan Winifred used to use the shops a lot or send my mom around on an errand. What shop did they own? My granddad and nan knew everyone and I think my granddad used to do a lot of decorating around there especially pubs. They drank at the Salutation Pub a lot, and closing time is friends used to go to my granddads house as they had a piano and they used to have a sing song, lol. My granddad Fred inherited the shop from his dad, Frederick and his mom Ada. I don't really have a picture of the shop though it's a shame but what my mom told me they had to change the frontage of it for some reason, I will have to ask my mom. My mom had an older sister Pat but she died at 24 in a car crash. It's great hearing from you my mom's coming down later so I will show her the messages. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sorry to hear about your moms sister !thats so sad both myself and my husband was in a serious head on accident in 1998 its just terrible lifes never the same again.but we did survive to see our grandchildren so we are gratefull for that.
My daughter s name is Joanne Gamwell shes 42 in a couple of weeks , I think your grandad did decoratoring for my mom I know we had wallpaper off him I remember having to trim the edges off the rolls of paper . Stans nan had a shop that was haberdashery because I sew and I remember saying that I would have loved that.Sorry ive messed this up Im not very good with these modern things either My own grandmother was bought in alma st but there had been a family fall out years before I was born so we never knew any of them even though we only lived round the corner. There names was barnes I imagin it was some where by your shop. I have a friend that lives in anstey rd her name is marian copperwaite I used to work with her.
Bye for now Margaret

Hi there, yes isn't it a small world, I can't believe that, we live on Anstey. I did go to Great Barr School, My form tutor was Mrs Bojan, I was born in 1976, I probably did know her. Yes my nan Winifred used to use the shops a lot or send my mom around on an errand. What shop did they own? My granddad and nan knew everyone and I think my granddad used to do a lot of decorating around there especially pubs. They drank at the Salutation Pub a lot, and closing time is friends used to go to my granddads house as they had a piano and they used to have a sing song, lol. My granddad Fred inherited the shop from his dad, Frederick and his mom Ada. I don't really have a picture of the shop though it's a shame but what my mom told me they had to change the frontage of it for some reason, I will have to ask my mom. My mom had an older sister Pat but she died at 24 in a car crash. It's great hearing from you my mom's coming down later so I will show her the messages. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sorry to hear about your moms sister !thats so sad both myself and my husband was in a serious head on accident in 1998 its just terrible lifes never the same again.but we did survive to see our grandchildren so we are gratefull for that.
My daughter s name is Joanne Gamwell shes 42 in a couple of weeks , I think your grandad did decoratoring for my mom I know we had wallpaper off him I remember having to trim the edges off the rolls of paper . Stans nan had a shop that was haberdashery because I sew and I remember saying that I would have loved that.Sorry ive messed this up Im not very good with these modern things either My own grandmother was bought in alma st but there had been a family fall out years before I was born so we never knew any of them even though we only lived round the corner. There names was barnes I imagin it was some where by your shop. I have a friend that lives in anstey rd her name is marian copperwaite I used to work with her.
Bye for now Margaret

Hi there, I don't know Joanne, what house was she in, I was in Kenilworth. I was talking to my mom, she said it was like a dress shop selling haberdashery, her mom used to send her to get things from there was it a lady called Irene? I know of Marian, I know her daughter Louise, Marians husband died last year didn't he? My god it is a small world. I'm on facebook if you want to add me, I can send you the photo's on there. Look forward to hearing from you soon

Goodness it is a small world yes I know Des died last year and I know louise she worked at the hotel as well . Yes I would like to be your face book friend ,my married name is gamwell so if you contact me then I accept is that how it works. As I said before Im bit hopeless with these things .my photo is of me when I was about 3 as I did have a sisterlaw with the same name but she passed away xmas week.
When I see Stan again I will tell him about this Im sure he will be interested he lived round perry barr as he was at school with my husband but he seemed to know all round lozells really well He must have spent alot of time with his nan. Look forward to the photo .bye for now Margaret

looking for newmans and Geach street, Alma Street, Bridge Street and Guilford Street my mom lived around there! My Grandad was caretaker for Newmans which i believe it was near the police station I think! Anyone can help?

there are individual threads for geach st..alma st and guildford st all containing old photos before demo...if you use the search box you should be able to find them...hope this helps

lyn

there are individual threads for geach st..alma st and guildford st all containing old photos before demo...if you use the search box you should be able to find them...hope this helps

lyn
Ah thank yu I'm also looking for information relating to Newman's Tonks as my grandad was care taker suex

hi folks i am searching for school photos from alma st school dated between 1934 to 1939..i cant be certain until i can get to the library to view records but i am pretty certain our mom went there (she lived in paddington st) and would love to find anything during those years

many thanks

lyn

Back