• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alma Street Junior & Infants

Hi Linda you do have a good memories I don't remember going to bag wash at all yes my dad was tall and I'm also tall.i meet Linda Harrington though this forum and we remember each other happy memories

Well hello Linda Jennings, we haven‘t communicated since the days of Friends re-United. I remember all these names but I couldn’t call them off like you. Hello to everyone else, my time flies. I’ve just been doing some research as I was hoping to find my end of Gerrard Street but alas there doesn’t seem to be anything. My children have no idea of the sort of homes we lived in, they can’t imagine not having a bathroom and a two up two down existence. Occasionally I drive through parts of Lowell’s and there is still quite a bit remaining. The Lozells Road part of Gower Street school still stands and I would love to pay a visit. Bet nothing has changed. Can’t say I miss my school days though. Like work I miss the people. Best wishes to all

hello mike and welcome...have you found any photos of gerrard st on this forum as i thought i had posted quite a few photos of this street before demo..cant be certain if i did now i would have to check...have you tried using the search box at the top of the page...what number gerrard did you live at and which end of the street was it...

lyn

Last edited:
Thank you for the welcome, I lived at number 8 just a short walk between Alma Street and William Street. Linda Jennings lived just around the corner, my wife lived the bottom end of William St. Not that I knew her then as she was a year younger than I but she also went to Alma Street and then onto Holt Grammer school.
I searched Gerrard Street and just Gerrard but nothing as yet. I’ll keep looking. Nice to hear from you.

hi mike well i definately know that i have posted about 20 photos of william street before it was demolished you will find those on the william street thread ...we lost the photos due to a forum hacking some time ago but i reposted them later on in the thread...hopefully your wifes house maybe showing...click on link below for the william street thread if you have any comments on them please reply on that thread...as for the gerrard st photos i dont think i posted them so i will do so when i have a few mins to spare

lyn

Thanks for this, I will share with my good lady. Some real gems there. Shame about the site being hacked, oh what a sorry world we live in where things like this are stolen. The number 8, inner circle, used to stop right outside our house en route to the Nursery Road Hockley area. We were moved to New John St West, luxury of a warm house and a bedroom just for me. So grateful for the info. Best regards MIke

Hi
I attended Alma Street School. I started April 1959 aged 5 and left July 1965. The only photo I have seen of the school is the front of the building. Mr Hinchliffe was the Headmaster. We went to him to pass our books. If we passed, he would offer us 3 Roses Chocolates from a big tin. Even though I wanted the chocolates I was too shy to accept them!

I recall the following teachers;
Infants
Mrs Jones class 1
Miss Parker class 2
Mrs Jones (again) class 3. The class was located in the smaller playground where the apparatus (climbing frame) was.
Juniors
Miss Kirby class 4
Miss James class 5 ( she married a policeman and became Mrs Swann)
Mrs Priest class 7 ( she emigrated to South Africa)
Mr McGill ( not sure of his class number but it was at the top of the fire escape)
Mr Edwards class 10 (we moved to the annex during this school year)
Mrs Morgan class 11
Mr Wildman class 12

I also recall;
Mrs Cooper (I think she was head of infants)
Mrs Christian
Mrs Thompson
Mr Hunter a student teacher. ( He taught the class about Stephensons Rocket. He and Mr Wildman organised a school trip to London. We went to the Science Museum to see the Rocket!)

Mrs Taylor (secretary)
Mrs Hands (biscuit lady)
Mr and Mrs Franklin (caretakers)

I have many happy memories of Alma Street School.
If you are interested, I can probably list most of the children that were in class 12 during 1964/1965..

Regards
Linda
These are the names of children I recall from Alma Street School Aston.
Class 12 Mr Wildman 1964/1965..
Apologies to anyone I may have missed out or added in error.

Irene David
Georgina Glenn
Irene Brannan
Kenneth Moore
Carol Gillett
Carol Aldhouse
Theresa Mullaney
Philip Brotheridge
David Capper
Paul Ford
Michael Surplice

John Kendall
Roderick Wells
Sandra French
Janet Hadley
Susan Dyson
Geraldine Whitlock
Michael Parkins
Linda Jennings
Roy Leddy
Paul Bevan
Tony Gardener
Paul Smith

Susan McPherson
Joyce Harris
Colin Surman
Paul Barrows
Dorothy Linford
Peter Brookes
Chistine Murphy
Christine Hemmings

Regards
Linda

Hello Linda,I have just discovered this site,and felt I had to reply and thank you for the list of pupils and teachers you listed.I was a good friend of you,Carol Gillette,Tony Gardner,David Capper,Teresa Mullaney,Dot linford and others.My name is Phil Brotheridge,and I was in your class all of the way through school.l loved Alma Street and all our classmates,and hope everyone are well in these strange times.

Well hello Linda Jennings, we haven‘t communicated since the days of Friends re-United. I remember all these names but I couldn’t call them off like you. Hello to everyone else, my time flies. I’ve just been doing some research as I was hoping to find my end of Gerrard Street but alas there doesn’t seem to be anything. My children have no idea of the sort of homes we lived in, they can’t imagine not having a bathroom and a two up two down existence. Occasionally I drive through parts of Lowell’s and there is still quite a bit remaining. The Lozells Road part of Gower Street school still stands and I would love to pay a visit. Bet nothing has changed. Can’t say I miss my school days though. Like work I miss the people. Best wishes to all
Hello Mike, good to see you’ve joined this forum. Yes, it’s quite awhile since the days of Friends Reunited. It’s a pity it folded. Hope you and your family are keeping well. On occasions I too drive through Aston and Lozells for a fix! You may find images of your end of Gerrard Street on Aston Birmingham 6. You can find the site on Facebook if you’re a member. Kids of today eh they haven’t got a clue of how things were for us without a bathroom. My daughter couldn’t believe we hadn't got a fridge or that we had to go up the yard to the toilet! They were such happy carefree days..

Very best wishes and please keep safe!
Linda

Alma Street School Aston
Class 11 Mrs Morgan 1964/1965

I recall the following names from this class; in no particular order...

Pat and Tina Stevens
Joan Mohammed
Colin Ali
David Ali
David Childs
Frederick Trowman
Louise Johns
Jean Willis
Anne Jukes
Doreen Davies
Coleen Hughes
Derek Gordon
Earnest Wallace
Joan Hollis
Sally McCallion
Sandra Lane
Constance Hennessey
Rosita Dawson
Jennifer Scrivens
William Pickett
Robert Evans
Sylvia Wiggins
Barbara Bagshaw
Gary Mohammed

Apologies to anyone I may have missed out or anyone I’ve added by mistake!

Also some may have left Alma before the school year ended. This would have been due to redevelopment of the area.

Regards
Linda

Last edited:
Alma Street School Aston
Class 11 Mrs Morgan 1964/1965

I recall the following names from this class; in no particular order...

Pat and Tina Stevens
Joan Mohammed
Colin Ali
David Ali
David Childs
Frederick Trowman
Louise Johns
Jean Willis
Anne Jukes
Doreen Davies
Coleen Hughes
Derek Gordon
Earnest Wallace
Joan Hollis
Sally McCallion
Sandra Lane
Constance Hennessey
Rosita Dawson
Jennifer Scrivens
William Pickett
Robert Evans
Sylvia Wiggins
Barbara Bagshaw
Gary Mohammed

Apologies to anyone I may have missed out or anyone I’ve added by mistake!

Also some may have left Alma before the school year ended. This would have been due to redevelopment of the area.

Regards
Linda
This is amazing that you remember all these names. I think Gary at the end may be my brother. Will have to ask him. Thank you.

Hi everyone. I don't know if anyone remembers me I'm a new member - I'm Carol Gillett but I remember both Michael and Linda.
Linda I don't know how you remember so many names.
I can remember Adrian Holmes, Roderick Wells and David Capper (I think!) We lived in William Street and I remember the little sweet shop situated near the bottom of theroad. Hope everyone is well and I'm glad that I found this site.

Hi Carol,
I remember you very well at Alma street,in fact I asked after you when speaking to Linda Jennings not long after finding this great site.
Linda and I have been communicating for the last two years,and you are right her recall of classmates names is remarkable,she was and is a dear friend.
By the way my name is Phil Brotheridge and I lived in Kensington street,and went through Junior school with both you,Linda,Roderick,David Capper,Dot Linford,Paul Ford,Irene David,to name just a few
Oh Carol by Neil Sedaka was a massive hit when we were in school.
I hope you are keeping well,and I will be speaking to Linda in the next week or so,and I am sure she will wish you all the best

Hi Phil. Yes I do remember you. Wonderful to hear all those names again and that someone remembers me! Yes I'm well and kept busy with my family.
Only people of a certain age still sing that song to me, it has followed me around for years but I don't mind. It's nice!
I hope you are well and give my best to Linda when you next speak to her. It is lovely hearing from you.

Hi everyone. I don't know if anyone remembers me I'm a new member - I'm Carol Gillett but I remember both Michael and Linda.
Linda I don't know how you remember so many names.
I can remember Adrian Holmes, Roderick Wells and David Capper (I think!) We lived in William Street and I remember the little sweet shop situated near the bottom of theroad. Hope everyone is well and I'm glad that I found this site.
Happy birthday Carol, wishing you good health and happiness!
I always think of you on the 3rd. My dad’s birthday was February 2nd..

I hope you and your family are well? It must be over 20 years since we last liaised. It was on Friends Reunited.
I’m so please you found the forum. Phillip Brotheridge told me you had joined the site awhile ago. I hope you’re enjoying it?

I should have responded to your post sooner but I’ve been rather busy moving house etc; When I’m more settled I will drop you a line or two!

Keep safe
Linda x

Happy birthday Carol, wishing you good health and happiness!
I always think of you on the 3rd. My dad’s birthday was February 2nd..

I hope you and your family are well? It must be over 20 years since we last liaised. It was on Friends Reunited.
I’m so please you found the forum. Phillip Brotheridge told me you had joined the site awhile ago. I hope you’re enjoying it?

I should have responded to your post sooner but I’ve been rather busy moving house etc; When I’m more settled I will drop you a line or two!

Keep safe
Linda x
Thank you so much Linda you have an excellent memory, unlike my good self! I can't believe I shall be 70 next year.
Yes time flies so quickly but 20 years ooer! Incredible.
Its lovely speaking to people I went to school with and sharing memories. Life is so different now. Yes we are fine and let me know how you are getting on and settling into your new house.

Take care
Carol xx

Did anyone attend the above school at all ? I started there age 5 in 1958 and left in January 65- Hardly any photos seem to exist of the school and if anyone has any, or indeed any memories of the school and its teachers I'd be VERY happy to see/hear them !!
I remember the Headmaster - Mr Hinchliffe ( we kids all pronounced it as 'Inchcliff') LOL The first teacher I had in class 1 infants was Mrs Jones - I later had a teacher called Miss priest who married and became Mrs Swan and she emigrated to South Africa I recall Mr Edwards, Mr Wildman, Mr McGill.

Here's my school report for 1963 I was 9yrs 10 months then !
I remember Mr hinchcliffe. Mrs Jones was my first teacher too, also remembr Miss Davis, Mr Mcgill ( I had private arithmetic lessons at home with him) and Mr Osbaldason. I started in 1956 and left in 1961 when we moved house.

Did anyone attend the above school at all ? I started there age 5 in 1958 and left in January 65- Hardly any photos seem to exist of the school and if anyone has any, or indeed any memories of the school and its teachers I'd be VERY happy to see/hear them !!
I remember the Headmaster - Mr Hinchliffe ( we kids all pronounced it as 'Inchcliff') LOL The first teacher I had in class 1 infants was Mrs Jones - I later had a teacher called Miss priest who married and became Mrs Swan and she emigrated to South Africa I recall Mr Edwards, Mr Wildman, Mr McGill.

Here's my school report for 1963 I was 9yrs 10 months then !
Stephen Morris here: I was at Alma Street at about the same time. I remember Mr. Hinchliffe very well, I was in Mrs. Jones' class, as well as Mr. Wildman and Miss Priest. My classmates included John Griffin (who was always in trouble), Howard, Stewart, Gary, Susan Morris (no relation). Sadly, I can't recall others at the moment. Our favourite playground game was 'Round the Pole' where we chased each other around the base of the fire escape.

Stephen Morris here: I was at Alma Street at about the same time. I remember Mr. Hinchliffe very well, I was in Mrs. Jones' class, as well as Mr. Wildman and Miss Priest. My classmates included John Griffin (who was always in trouble), Howard, Stewart, Gary, Susan Morris (no relation). Sadly, I can't recall others at the moment. Our favourite playground game was 'Round the Pole' where we chased each other around the base of the fire escape.
Hi Stephen

Welcome to Birmingham History Forum. Did you by any chance live in Flackwell Road, Erdington?

Reguards

Hi Stephen

Welcome to Birmingham History Forum. Did you by any chance live in Flackwell Road, Erdington?

Reguards
Hi Stephen
Hope you enjoy the Forum.
I recall a Kenneth Morris at Alma. Would you be related? He lived in Inkerman Street.
I too remember John Griffin being a bit of a rascal. I recall a Vera Morris and an Alan Howard. They were in the year above me.

Best wishes
Linda

Hi Stephen
Hope you enjoy the Forum.
I recall a Kenneth Morris at Alma. Would you be related? He lived in Inkerman Street.
I too remember John Griffin being a bit of a rascal. I recall a Vera Morris and an Alan Howard. They were in the year above me.

Best wishes
Linda
Linda, I was in the year above you then. I'm no relation to Kenneth. My best friend was Steve Saunders, and we were always getting into some kind of trouble. I remember Vera now, I think she was quite tall. I bumped into Alan Howard a few years later as he had moved to Highters Heath, a couple of streets away from me. My sister Lesley is a couple of years younger than me so she would have been in the class below you. I saw a photo of Miss Jones on the forum yesterday and immediately had flashbacks!

Back