• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Allen - Birmingham jewellers 1700s- 1900s

Perpetuum

Hi everyone

I'm a newbie on here and new to the forum lark too. Hope you are all well!

I am researching my maternal grandmother's Allen family who lived and worked around the jewellery Quarter in Birmingham, then later in Aston. Here's a quick direct lineage to let you know who I'm researching:

James Allen c 1794 m. Mary Ann (Evans - I think!). He was a gilt toy maker.

John James Allen 1833-1901 m. Lucy Jane Page 1833-1882. He was a silversmith.

George Charles Allen 1856-c1921 m. Mary Ann Thistlewood 1860-?. He was a jeweller.

George Thomas Allen 1881- 1931 m. Mary Ann Hathaway 1879- 1926. He worked in a coach works as a wood carver.

Florence Beatrice Allen 1908- 1965 born in Aston. She's my great grandmother. They moved to Plymouth in about 1913. My grandmother was born there in 1932, and moved to Newcastle Upon Tyne when her father left the Navy.

I have consulted the Census collections 1841-1911, and have several BMD records too. I am hoping that someone else is researching this line, in particular the exact identity of James and Mary at the top of my tree. My gran will be 80 this year and I am hoping to tweak my research for her.

In addition, I am researching the maternal line  - through all the mothers and it's a bloomin' task and a half!
TTFN!

Last edited:
I wonder if the Allens who owned a small jewelers in the sixties are related to your Allen family?.

And is anyone interested in the Jewellery quarter? I'm looking at Tandy and Sons Vyse Street. Thanks
Anncie

I'm of the understanding that there were two different George Allen, jeweller in the jewelry quarter, I have seen that there was a George Charles Allen, but I'm looking for George Smith Allen I hope that there is someone on the forum that has heard about him. In the 1881 census he was married and had two son, living in Yardley area. Any help will be useful, thank you.

struggling to find a george smith allen on the 81..what year was he born..

lyn

found him now...on the 1901 he was a boarder with looks like either the rose or bose family looks like he was a widow ..writing is awful

thats ok susan...takes time to get used to a new forum...read the posts after your last one as there is some info which you may already have but just in case

lyn

Last edited:
Does anyone have any information about the jewelry quarter industry, is there an archive about it? I'm finding it difficult to research which George Allen had a shop and where, any information will be appreciated.

There are lots of people listed as jewellers in Bham, most are just ordinary workers. Are you suggesting he was something more than a worker in somebody else's workshop?

In 1871 he is in St George's parish which is in the right area, can't see the actual record to get the address. Mother and step father are in Unett St in 1861.

There's the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter.

Is there an apprentice index for the jewelry industry? I don't know if George Allen had a shop or not would there be a way of finding out?
Susan

Back