• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kaitlynn

proper brummie kid
Hi all and thanks for letting me join.

I was born in Brum but left at a young age, have lived in Cornwall, Kent, Blackpool and am now in Stoke-on-Trent.

I'm particulary interested in the history of Deritend and regarding my genealogy research the main surnames that I am interested in are:-

ALLEN - Deritend, Washwood Heath, Ward End, and possibly Ireland
COCKIN (COCKING)(COCKINS)(COCKINGS) – Deritend, and Staffordshire
ANDREWS – Balsall Heath, Washwood Heath, Lydney Glos, and South Wales
PRIEST (PREEST) - Washwood Heath, and Lydney Glos
JACKSON - Deritend, and possibly Scotland
SPRUCE - Deritend, and possibly Scotland
HAMBLIN - Balsall Heath, and Sherborne Dorset
MORGAN - Hereford Herts, and Dursley Glos

My Roadblock, which I have had for over 30 years concerns my paternal great grandparents, the ALLENs, which is really annoying because not only is it my own surname but I’ve got my others lines much further back!

I’m not going to go any more into detail with this until I receive a death cert that I have ordered that ‘may’ help.

Regards,

Kaitlynn Allen

Last edited:
Hi Kaitlynn, nice to meet you. I'm sure there'll be lots of people to help when you can provide a bit more information. See how you get on with the death certificate and if you feel it doesn't help or even if it does, post your last piece of concrete evidence on the line you're tracing with as much info as possible.

hi kaitlynn and welcome to the forum....as lady pen has said see where you go with the death cert and get back to us if you have still hit a brick wall....we love a challenge on here and we do have some very good researchers who like to help those who are at a standstill..

lyn

Hi Kaitlyn,
Welcome to the Forum. However, please note that Deritend is one word not two as you suggest (Derit End }.
Old Boy,
Hi all and thanks for letting me join.

I was born in Brum but left at a young age, have lived in Cornwall, Kent, Blackpool and am now in Stoke-on-Trent.

I'm particulary interested in the history of Derit End and regarding my genealogy research the main surnames that I am interested in are:-

ALLEN - Derit End, Washwood Heath, Ward End, and possibly Ireland
COCKIN (COCKING)(COCKINS)(COCKINGS) – Derit End, and Staffordshire
ANDREWS – Balsall Heath, Washwood Heath, Lydney Glos, and South Wales
PRIEST (PREEST) - Washwood Heath, and Lydney Glos
JACKSON - Derit End, and possibly Scotland
SPRUCE - Derit End, and possibly Scotland
HAMBLIN - Balsall Heath, and Sherborne Dorset
MORGAN - Hereford Herts, and Dursley Glos

My Roadblock, which I have had for over 30 years concerns my paternal great grandparents, the ALLENs, which is really annoying because not only is it my own surname but I’ve got my others lines much further back!

I’m not going to go any more into detail with this until I receive a death cert that I have ordered that ‘may’ help.

Regards,

Kaitlynn Allen

hi kaitlynn and welcome to the forum....as lady pen has said see where you go with the death cert and get back to us if you have still hit a brick wall....we love a challenge on here and we do have some very good researchers who like to help those who are at a standstill..

lyn

have you looked into raggy allens which i believe usea to buy rags and was in highgate area as my great grandmother worked there

Back