• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alldays & Onions

Thank you Lloyd.
I have never heard of these before, do you think the lorry was delivering old car parts?

From the 1965 Kellys:
AlldayB & Onions Ltd. fan mfrs. Great Western works,Sydenham rd 11. T A " Alldays, Phono"; Victoria
2251 & 2254
they disappeared from Kellys (in birmingham anyway) between 1969 and 1971
mike

Alldays & Onions was well known engineering company and did lot of work for the war effort in WW2 connected with BSA, Amoury Rd on parts for the Sten Gun. Len.

Thank you lads, getting educated on this site....
That vehicle looks unusual, what make is it please.......

As a young contracting electrician i remember working at their factory in Sydenham Rd for a short period of time but i,m sure it was only a steel warehouse in the 60s .Dek

Alldays and Onions were the oldest firm trading in Birmingham, founded by John Onions Bellows Maker in 1650. In about 1990 they became Nurdin and Peacock and are now part of Bookers the cash and carry warehouse

• 1889 Alldays and Onions Pneumatic Engineering Co. of Birmingham, was a company founded in 1889 by the merger of the long established (dating from 1650) and Alldays & Onions (dating from 1720) engineering companies. Like many such companies they turned to bicycle manufacture and sold a range under the Alldays name. The company, Alldays and Onions Pneumatic Engineering Co, was registered on 18 December, to take over and extend the business of Alldays and Onions, manufacturers of bellows, portable forges etc. . Len.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they have works or offices in Newhall St. exactly opposite the late lamented old Science Museum,just up from the Assay Office. I recall a yellowish sandstone block building with opaque windows down to pavement level. This about 20-30 years ago. I never knew what they made but I once found a cast iron cover with their name on at a rubbish dump in North Wales; could have been off an agricultural boiler or maybe a forge mentioned by Len above. John.

View attachment 63755View attachment 63754

I have just returned from a visit to Northern Ireland where I visited the Ulster Transport Museum. Among the exhibits was this Alldays and Onions petrol car used on the County Donegal Joint Railways 1906-1956. As you will see this has been adapted to run on the 3 foot gauge railway. Originally used as an inspection car it was converted to passenger use during the coal strike in the 1920s when coal was not avilable. This was the fore runner of a number of rail buses subsequently used on that railway but with bus type bodies

Hi Susan.
Do you mean the children's Christmas parties? I didn't have any children at that time, so would not have gone to them. Do you have a brother that worked there for a short time. I remember your dad mention "Our Susan" many times
regards
alan

Hi Aln yes the Children's xmas parties, My brother David did work there for a short time, did you attend my Dads funeral?

Hi Alan yes the Children's xmas parties, My brother David did work there for a short time, did you attend my Dads funeral?

In the 1960's I was an apprentice for AVO ltd, who made electronic measureing instuments in Dover, Kent. One component part of some equipment was large wirewound transformers. These were vacuum impregnated with a shellac type varnish and the proccess was carried out in a large vat in which the transformers were placed before a partial vacuum was created and then the varnish was sucked in to cover them. the varnish was then pumped back out and the transformers were transfered to large electric ovens to bake.
The vacuum equipment and vat had a plate on them 'ALDAYS AND ONIONS BIRMINGHAM. I do not know the age of this plant but I know that it was transfered to the Dover factory from London when AVO moved in late 1950's - early 1960's

Mike

A dreadful fire at Allday & Onions Ltd in March 1915. Looks like very little was left of it. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Vivienne14,
The fire was in the Packing Case Department, just a tiny part of the Alldays factory, being used in the war to make wooden reels for transporting barbed-wire to the front lines. Alldays also had a large factory in Fallows Road, and a small factory at the top of Waverley Road.
BOOMY

Can anyone tell me exactly where on Sydenham Road Alldays and Onions were? I always thought they were on the right side (walking down from Montgomery Street), but my brother thinks they were on the other side of the road. My nan lived in Stretton Grove for years. If they were on the other side of the road, any ideas what the factory was on the right side, hust before all the houses?

From the 1965 Kellys:
AlldayB & Onions Ltd. fan mfrs. Great Western works,Sydenham rd 11. T A " Alldays, Phono"; Victoria
2251 & 2254
they disappeared from Kellys (in birmingham anyway) between 1969 and 1971
mike
Hi Mike , any idea how to find out if I am distantly related to the Onions of "Allday and Onions" - my father was a design engineer born in Dudley but from my Grandfather's generation our name was spelt O'Nions!

Nick you would have to go back and study your family tree. I am probably not the best person to advise you. But there is no quick fix

Back