• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alldays & Onions

Thank you Lloyd.
I have never heard of these before, do you think the lorry was delivering old car parts?

From the 1965 Kellys:
AlldayB & Onions Ltd. fan mfrs. Great Western works,Sydenham rd 11. T A " Alldays, Phono"; Victoria
2251 & 2254
they disappeared from Kellys (in birmingham anyway) between 1969 and 1971
mike

Alldays & Onions was well known engineering company and did lot of work for the war effort in WW2 connected with BSA, Amoury Rd on parts for the Sten Gun. Len.

Thank you lads, getting educated on this site....
That vehicle looks unusual, what make is it please.......

As a young contracting electrician i remember working at their factory in Sydenham Rd for a short period of time but i,m sure it was only a steel warehouse in the 60s .Dek

Alldays and Onions were the oldest firm trading in Birmingham, founded by John Onions Bellows Maker in 1650. In about 1990 they became Nurdin and Peacock and are now part of Bookers the cash and carry warehouse

• 1889 Alldays and Onions Pneumatic Engineering Co. of Birmingham, was a company founded in 1889 by the merger of the long established (dating from 1650) and Alldays & Onions (dating from 1720) engineering companies. Like many such companies they turned to bicycle manufacture and sold a range under the Alldays name. The company, Alldays and Onions Pneumatic Engineering Co, was registered on 18 December, to take over and extend the business of Alldays and Onions, manufacturers of bellows, portable forges etc. . Len.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they have works or offices in Newhall St. exactly opposite the late lamented old Science Museum,just up from the Assay Office. I recall a yellowish sandstone block building with opaque windows down to pavement level. This about 20-30 years ago. I never knew what they made but I once found a cast iron cover with their name on at a rubbish dump in North Wales; could have been off an agricultural boiler or maybe a forge mentioned by Len above. John.

View attachment 63755View attachment 63754

I have just returned from a visit to Northern Ireland where I visited the Ulster Transport Museum. Among the exhibits was this Alldays and Onions petrol car used on the County Donegal Joint Railways 1906-1956. As you will see this has been adapted to run on the 3 foot gauge railway. Originally used as an inspection car it was converted to passenger use during the coal strike in the 1920s when coal was not avilable. This was the fore runner of a number of rail buses subsequently used on that railway but with bus type bodies

Hi Susan.
Do you mean the children's Christmas parties? I didn't have any children at that time, so would not have gone to them. Do you have a brother that worked there for a short time. I remember your dad mention "Our Susan" many times
regards
alan

Hi Aln yes the Children's xmas parties, My brother David did work there for a short time, did you attend my Dads funeral?

Hi Alan yes the Children's xmas parties, My brother David did work there for a short time, did you attend my Dads funeral?

Back