• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alldays & Onions

In the 1960's I was an apprentice for AVO ltd, who made electronic measureing instuments in Dover, Kent. One component part of some equipment was large wirewound transformers. These were vacuum impregnated with a shellac type varnish and the proccess was carried out in a large vat in which the transformers were placed before a partial vacuum was created and then the varnish was sucked in to cover them. the varnish was then pumped back out and the transformers were transfered to large electric ovens to bake.
The vacuum equipment and vat had a plate on them 'ALDAYS AND ONIONS BIRMINGHAM. I do not know the age of this plant but I know that it was transfered to the Dover factory from London when AVO moved in late 1950's - early 1960's

Mike

A dreadful fire at Allday & Onions Ltd in March 1915. Looks like very little was left of it. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Vivienne14,
The fire was in the Packing Case Department, just a tiny part of the Alldays factory, being used in the war to make wooden reels for transporting barbed-wire to the front lines. Alldays also had a large factory in Fallows Road, and a small factory at the top of Waverley Road.
BOOMY

Can anyone tell me exactly where on Sydenham Road Alldays and Onions were? I always thought they were on the right side (walking down from Montgomery Street), but my brother thinks they were on the other side of the road. My nan lived in Stretton Grove for years. If they were on the other side of the road, any ideas what the factory was on the right side, hust before all the houses?

From the 1965 Kellys:
AlldayB & Onions Ltd. fan mfrs. Great Western works,Sydenham rd 11. T A " Alldays, Phono"; Victoria
2251 & 2254
they disappeared from Kellys (in birmingham anyway) between 1969 and 1971
mike
Hi Mike , any idea how to find out if I am distantly related to the Onions of "Allday and Onions" - my father was a design engineer born in Dudley but from my Grandfather's generation our name was spelt O'Nions!

Nick you would have to go back and study your family tree. I am probably not the best person to advise you. But there is no quick fix

Hi, I am from South Africa. We recently discovered one of our historical items on the farm has the badge of Alldays & Onions on it. I read that they were involved in War work, just curious to find out what items they manufactured, could it be that they manufactured naval mines? Thank you

Hi, I am from South Africa. We recently discovered one of our historical items on the farm has the badge of Alldays & Onions on it. I read that they were involved in War work, just curious to find out what items they manufactured, could it be that they manufactured naval mines? Thank you
hi and welcome...sounds like a nice find....hope someone can give you more info about the company..could i ask what the item was that you found and if you can post a photograph of it that would be great

lyn

hi and welcome...sounds like a nice find....hope someone can give you more info about the company..could i ask what the item was that you found and if you can post a photograph of it that would be great

lyn
Hi Lyn, thank you

Here is photos of it. Someone on one of my FB groups suggested Naval Mines. Not sure what to think.

Attachments

• 20220823_120510.jpg
    20220823_120510.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • 20220823_120946.jpg
    20220823_120946.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
crikey nadia it look huge....i can see why you think some sort of mine but like you not sure...is it sealed or does it open up...quite a mystery for us

lyn

Very strange. Obviously cannot be a flying saucer (!!) despite its shap. Trouble is they made lots of things. Will be very interested to see if anyone can identify it

crikey nadia it look huge....i can see why you think some sort of mine but like you not sure...is it sealed or does it open up...quite a mystery for us

lyn
Lol, yes. As far as I know it is empty, but I will ask my husband if we can try to open it up. It is quite a mystery indeed.

Back