• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

All Souls Church Witton

Big Gee

master brummie
Does anyone have any memories of this church, in which I was married in 1971?

Especially, memories of Rev Charles Lee and Rev George Walmesley.

Big Gee

Big Gee I was born in Witton Aston but do not recollect the church neither does Pete [oh he is talking to me again]. Jean.

Sorry Big Gee I do remember it now. Please forgive me. I fell off my aunt Freda's bike outside there that I borrowed without her knowing. Jean.

Be sure your sins will find you out Jean;)

Grahame, I was long gone by the time you were married at All Souls. My memories are of the dances they held there, in the 50's. There were regular weekly dances for us youngsters, on Tuesdays. There were always far more girls than boys, being tall I was always the 'boy' so no wonder I found it hard to dance with the real thing in later years. I always tried to lead:rolleyes:

The name Walmesley rings bells, but I have no specific memories of him. My spiritual needs were taken care of at the Gospel Hall in Trinity Road.

hi all...would anyone have a pic of all souls church please..although i was christened at trinity church birchfield on my cert it says the vicar who christened me was from all souls..also wondered why this could be..and is all souls still there...

many thanks

lyn

Hi Lyn,

I haven't got a pic of All Souls, but it's still there and redundant. Do you have the name of the vicar who christened you?

Regards,

Big Gee

hi big gee and ive just re read your first post...i was christened on the 14th of feb 1954 by the rev charles lee....what a coinsidence that you have memories of him...will scan my cert later on and post it ...

lyn

Hi Lyn,

Charlie Lee was a great guy, nothing like you'd imagine a vicar to be. He was always good-natured and had time for everyone. He left All Souls to take up a post at Crowland Abbey in Lincolnshire. The entire All Souls choir (me included) was shipped to Crowland by coach for his inauguration. I'd think that would be about 1955.

I've just seen Di.Poppitt's post - I was just a bit too young for the dances in the 1950's but I do remember Rev Walmesley tried without much success to start a youth club in the early 1960's. I also remember the Christmas Bazaars in the church hall - the hall always smelled of stewed tea!

G

oh dear big gee i hope it was not after christening me that rev lee decided to flee brum lol...joking apart how lovely to know that he took up a post in an abbey..thank you for all that info on him...im just going to scan my cert....

lyn

here you go big gee..my christening cert signed by the rev charles lee...a bit battered and creased but none the less i am so proud to have it.....

lyn :)

thanks wend...i really do feel proud to have it and when i can i am going to have a look inside holy trinity church...

lyn

All Souls had a very proud history. Many a young personat attending the church found their future spouses there either in the church or social clubs. I personally played cricet for 45yrs for All Souls Cricket Club which has just past its 80th Birthday from its foundation. Anyone with a connection should get in touch with this blog. Incidentally the vicar prior to Charlie Lee was Vicar Pitt. The church had a wonderful vicarage in Normandy Road. Incidently you can get a good photo to download from Google Street View.

I lived at the top of Nelson Road just across the road from All Souls Church. I was christened there on the 28 June 1940 by the vicar W. Lawrence Pitt. I am not sure what the 'W' stood for but that is how he signed the commerative card that he gave my parents. I can remember going to the Boy Scouts at the Scout Hut which was at the back of the church but fronted on Nelson Road. In 1950 the Church Hall was used as an overflow classroom for Canterbury Road Primary school. I spent my last year at the school there which meant that I did not have to walk along the Broadway to the main school site. Although I do not actually remember it, I was told that during WW2 the weather cock on the top of the church was wrenched off by the trailing cables of a barrage balloon that had broken free of it's moorings.

Hi Arty P! Your mention of the dragging balloon cable knocking off the weather cock does remind me of the event. Whilst not able to confirm the weather cock, I do remember the balloon cable being dragged over the parish. Considering the closeness of the I.C.I. , G.E.C., Geo. Ellison and Kynochs which were all in the German's Red Zone of targets, we got off very lightly indeed. A very different world from a long time ago. Thanks for the memory. willey.

My dad used to talk about the balloon-cable incident - apparently it made such a racket that it was thought by some at the time that it was German paratroops landing on rooftops. I think it became woven into local legend with the passage of time.

ArtyP - I was in the 177th Wolf Cubs and remember the Scout Hut very well, and games of 'British Bulldogs'. Akela was a man called Baker, can't remember his first name. The Juggins brothers were also heavily involved in the Cubs and Scouts at All Souls.

Big Gee

Hi Big Gee! I was in the cubs too. Your Akela was I believe called Arthur Baker. I joined him in the Rovers section that existed in the little hut at the rear of the Scout Hut. It had been a goat shed that the Rovers acquired for free and having transported to the site proceeded to clean and paint it. A very good job they made of it and it became a very cosy place for a chat. With regard to Graham Juggins, he sadly died some years ago. I don't know the whereabouts of his brother, David. "British Bulldogs" was my great love too. The rough and tumble was right up my street! Happy days. Regards. willey.

Hi Willey,

Yes, Arthur Baker. He didn't like me and I wasn't too keen on him! I always got the rotten jobs, like sweeping up and humping the tents when we went camping (usually somewhere near Balsall Common). I think his girl-friend/fiancee was also involved with the Brownies, can't remember her name. I do remember the little hut, but don't think I was ever permitted to enter. I haven't been down that way for years, but have a vague idea that the old scout hut is no longer there. The Juggins brothers lived in Bragg Road, if I remember aright. Muscular Christianity in those days, wouldn't be allowed to get away with it in 2011!

Somewhere I have a photo of the 177th Cubs and Scouts, I'll see if I can did it out some time.

Big Gee

Hello Big Gee! Thanks for the reply. I would certainly like to see any photograph of the old scout troop if you have it to hand. None of the scout huts exist. See "Street View" on Google Earth. Incidently, the Juggins family lived on the corner of Woodhall Road and the Broadway. Would love to hear any more info regarding the All Souls Scout group. Regards. willey

Hi Willey. It'll take me ages to wade through the mass of photos I inherited from my mother, but I'll get around to it one of these days. You're right about the Juggins family - don't know who I was thinking of. Do you remember the "Gang Shows" in the church hall?

All the best,

Big Gee

Big Gee, Yes I remember the "Gang Shows". They were all the rage with scout troops back in those days. They were good fun and produced many laughs both for the audience and the cast. I can still see some of the "women" that the troop produced. I can remember two names who appeared in some of them, they were Geoff Betty and "Taffy" Haywood. Regards willey

About what year are you referring to, Willey? In the mid-fifties when I was in the Cubs, there was a man who produced our Gang Shows like they were to open on Broadway. Everything had to be perfect. I can't remember his name, but can see his face - tall and thin, dark complexion.

Do you remember a man called Colin Mitchell at All Souls?

Big Gee

I was in the Brownies for a short time, I don't think I liked it much, can't really remember from this distance!! I knew Taff Haywood, he worked at ICI and I went out with him for while. He was a really nice lad.

Hi there,
I was organist at this church from 1968 until 1972 and therefore probably played for your wedding. The priest in my day was Fr Ernest Foster. I did meet Fr Walmsley but can hardly remember him - I was about 15 at the time.
Mike

Back