• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

All Souls Church, Birchfield, Stafford.

Hello Mike,

I can just about remember you! I think you played the organ for my wedding at All Souls in July 1971. Rev Ernest (not Edward) Foster officiated, but my elder brother Rev Michael Bryant did the business.

I remember most of the people named by you and Hornsey. My wife and I were friendly with Linda nee Jephcott and her husband ( whose name I can't remember). Sadly, Linda died quite young, leaving I believe two daughters. Mrs Clutterbuck I think I also remember - she had a son who was friendly with my brother.

G

This is probably the Rev Edward Foster who retired to Streetly and took occasional services around the area. A Peter Smith was also organist at All Souls- possibly before you- he gave me my first organ lesson in Great Barr. My Gran, Gertude Clark, (as above, probably Mrs Clark to everyone) lived opposite the shop in Wenlock Rd next door to a Mrs Wyndes and Mrs Clutterbuck. She was not a church goer
Hi there, the vicar in my time was Ernest Foster but he used his middle name, his first being William. He moved in 1980 to parishes near Stafford. I think he died in the early 90s. You're right I was organist after Peter Smith, I remember that I was 14 so it must have been 1967. many thanks for the info' - Mike

Hello Mike,

I can just about remember you! I think you played the organ for my wedding at All Souls in July 1971. Rev Ernest (not Edward) Foster officiated, but my elder brother Rev Michael Bryant did the business.

I remember most of the people named by you and Hornsey. My wife and I were friendly with Linda nee Jephcott and her husband ( whose name I can't remember). Sadly, Linda died quite young, leaving I believe two daughters. Mrs Clutterbuck I think I also remember - she had a son who was friendly with my brother.

G
Many thanks for the information. Linda's husband was Ray and they moved to Dyas Rd near Beeches Estate. I did know that Linda was no longer with us, I think it happened in about 1989 because I heard that Fr Foster attended the service at St Mattew's Perry Beeches very sad circumstances. Best wishes - Mike

Thanks for the response, Mike. My wife and I did once visit Linda and Ray and their girls at Dyas Rd, but we lost contact and then heard the very sad news about Linda. Whether her mother was still alive and still living in Wenlock Road I can't remember. Linda was full of fun, I do remember that.

Do you remember Mr Liney, the organist and choir-master when the Revs Lee and Walmsley were at All Souls? I got roped into the choir by Mr Liney, who was a very patient gent with his charges.

G

Thanks for the response, Mike. My wife and I did once visit Linda and Ray and their girls at Dyas Rd, but we lost contact and then heard the very sad news about Linda. Whether her mother was still alive and still living in Wenlock Road I can't remember. Linda was full of fun, I do remember that.

Do you remember Mr Liney, the organist and choir-master when the Revs Lee and Walmsley were at All Souls? I got roped into the choir by Mr Liney, who was a very patient gent with his charges.

G
Good morning G, I didn't know All Souls until I went to play there. My music teacher was friend of the vicar who needed a replacement for Peter Smith as he was moving out of the area, this is why I didn't know any previous organists or vicars. I have a feeling that Lizbeth's Mum Mrs Durrant was Mrs Nash's sister. Mr (Brian) and Mrs Nash moved to Wooten Wawen (sp?) near Stratford while I was still at All Souls. Cheers - Mike

Hello Mike. I never knew that Rev Foster used his middle name - to me and most others he was 'Mr Foster'. Nice bloke, too. I remember Mrs Foster was something of a live wire, organising all manner of activities (at least, I think it was her...). Liz Durrant married Keith Jennings, a friend of mine from The Harriers pub on The Broadway. I knew Michael Nash for a time. He and his parents lived in Normandy Road, not far from the Vicarage. They always seemed rather posh to me!

Out of interest, in the mid-1950's the-then incumbent Rev C Lee took up a position at Crowland Abbey, and the All Souls choir members were bussed there to join in the service. We were not quite in the same league as the Abbey choir, but gave it a good go!

G

Hello Mike. I never knew that Rev Foster used his middle name - to me and most others he was 'Mr Foster'. Nice bloke, too. I remember Mrs Foster was something of a live wire, organising all manner of activities (at least, I think it was her...). Liz Durrant married Keith Jennings, a friend of mine from The Harriers pub on The Broadway. I knew Michael Nash for a time. He and his parents lived in Normandy Road, not far from the Vicarage. They always seemed rather posh to me!

Out of interest, in the mid-1950's the-then incumbent Rev C Lee took up a position at Crowland Abbey, and the All Souls choir members were bussed there to join in the service. We were not quite in the same league as the Abbey choir, but gave it a good go!

G
Hi. Just come across this thread by accident, googling stuff which led me to All Souls Church. My name is William Foster, being the youngest of five children whose father was the reverend William Ernest Foster, the vicar at All Souls whom you mention. I also knew Ray and Linda from the 70s and would almost certainly have sung in the choir at the wedding you mention in 1971 - for which the going rate was two and six - or half a crown! For your information, Liz and Keith are still together and live in Cornwall. You must know a few more names from that era?! If Mike was the organist during my dad’s time I must have known you too. It’s a small world!

I'm Mike Sullivan. I was the organist at All Souls from 1967 to 1971 Rev E Foster was vicar. I still insure my car with Gomm insurance, they moved from Aston lane to Coles lane in Sutton Coldfield many years ago.
Here are a few names I remember from that time (I was 14 at the time so over 50 years ago) - Mr and Mrs Male, Mr and Mrs Sutton, Mr and Mrs Nash, Mrs Durrant and Lizbeth (who now lives in Cornwall). There was a Mrs Jephcott and her daughter Linda (who was in the choir) - they lived opposite the church. Mrs Durrant's brother in Law was a server (I can't remember his Christian name - always Mr or Mrs in those days). Three of the vicar's children were in the choir Andrew who I met a few years back, Josephine and William.
Happy days
Hi Mike

Come across this thread by accident. I’m William - the youngest of the Foster family, though not so young now! Blimey, a bit odd to be reading all these memories but fascinating!

Hi Mike

Come across this thread by accident. I’m William - the youngest of the Foster family, though not so young now! Blimey, a bit odd to be reading all these memories but fascinating!
Hi Mike

Hi William,

How nice to hear from you. I left All Souls at the end of 1971 so my playing years there were over 50 years ago. I met Andrew a couple of times in Jessops a few years back but due to customers didn't have much time to talk but he did tell me that Jo lives in America.
I'm now 67 and married to Elspeth and have lived near Bromsgrove for the last 36 years. We have a daughter Kay and 2 grand children (one of each).
If you do Facebook you can find me as Mike Sullivan or Michael Sullivan Keyboard Player. Message me if you get chance.

Best wishes - Mike

Back