• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

All Saints Primary School

carolina

master brummie
All Saints School, Hockley - Football team. I only know one person and that is the extreme left front row Graham Powells aka Satch

All Saints football team 1950s.jpg

All Saints School Christmas Play 1955. I am front row, 2nd from the right.

Nice to see that pic of the school panto, Carolina. It must have been the following year when I appeared in the xmas panto. I think it was Red Riding Hood, I played a tree, They wrapped me up in brown paper and some green stuff and I was part of the forest. Took some rehearsing I can tell you.

Terry

Terry were you at All Saints

Yes, left there early 1958 and moved to Shard End. There's not much I can remember at All Saints. I did play in the football team around 1956/57, I can remember Miss Cole and Mr Manning, he gave the cane to a lad on the stage in front of the whole school,I remember that, I don't know what he did though. I am not sure, but I think my last teacher there was a Miss Lewis. I must have seen you in the panto as we all had to watch the pantos each year.

Terry

Terry I left 1957 and because I passed my 1D1+ I went to grammar school.
I have the names of the people in the panto. One of the people who was always in trouble was David Avery and I can remember Mr Manning throwing the blackboard duster at him. I was in the irish dancing team as well. There was also a Miss Rowbottom and a Miss Orme

I don't know about anyone else but when you go back to your old schools dos any one else think they look much smaller?.

Paul I have to agree when I went back to All Saints and looked at the hall where we went every morning I couldnt believe how small it was.

Hi All,

The schools have not got smaller, it is us that have grown bigger. But we all knew that anyway.

Old Boy

carolina,
Just had a quick look at this thread and noted you mentioned All Saints School, was this in Hockley and what years were you there?

Hi Brookieboy, yes it was the one in Hockley and I was there from 1951 - 1957, my other 2 brothers were there from 1943 - 1949 and 1946 - 1953. When were you there? The dreaded Miss Cole.

Hi carolina,
Tks for reply, cannot believe Miss Cole has been at All Saints so long, she was there in the late 30's, I was there from 1933 to 1939, yes she was the dreaded Miss Cole then in her all black outfit, was old Mr Roberts there in your time also? I was evacuated to Monmouthshire came back and went straight to Icknield Street.
Regards Brookieboy

Hi carolina,
Tks for reply, cannot believe Miss Cole has been at All Saints so long, she was there in the late 30's, I was there from 1933 to 1939, yes she was the dreaded Miss Cole then in her all black outfit, was old Mr Roberts there in your time also? I was evacuated to Monmouthshire came back and went straight to Icknield Street.
Regards Brookieboy

No Roberts I cant recall. There was Mrs Pearce, Rowbottom, Orme and a Mr Manning. You were a little before my time. For the last year we were at the annexe in Heaton Street. I remember my favourite book which was read to us at Heaton Street - Shadow the Sheepdog which I picked up a few years ago,
an old copy at a car boot. Funny isnt it how a book some nearly 60 years ago stilll stays in my mind.

All Saints School.jpg

Carolina,
Sorry for delay in replying, for some reason your reply never came up on my e-mail or else I missed it, saw it last night but did not have time to reply and thanks for that picture of the school, how I remember those Iron steps, Johnny Roberts class was right at the end overlooking All Saints Street, if ever there was a bully he was one, he would have been thrown out in this day and age, many was the cane and clips around the ear from him, my father threatened him one day and he did not touch me again.
can't remember any of those teachers except maybe Mrs Rowbottom but I am not sure, was evacuated in '39 and when I came back, went straight to Icknield Street.

This was put onto the Hockley Forum facebook and I would just like to put it on here as the demolition of another school and era. All Saints School Hockley. Thanks to Margaret Hadfield Fox for these pictures.

All Saints school demolition.JPG

Extract from History Online site

ALL SAINTS' C. OF E. PRIMARY SCHOOL, All Saints' Street, Lodge Road.(27) All Saints' Sunday Sch. was being carried on by 1837,(29) but in 1842 it still had no building. All Saints' Sch. (i.e. National day sch.) opened 1844 in a new building (38) adjoining churchyard. Accom. 616 in 3 rooms (B, G, I).(1) Fees 2d.–3d.(30) Received annual grants from 1848. H.M.I. reported 1845–9 buildings good but teaching and equipment poor, and 1853 that there was no playground. I sch. apparently 'reopened' 1854. New certificated master appointed 1855: there had been an uncertificated master helped by his wife.(22) By 1899 in 2 depts (M, I).(1) Bd. of Ed. condemned buildings 1925. New block added, parochial hall taken into use 1932, and sch. reorganized 1933 for JM, I. Depts. united 1938. By 1949 main building once more unsatisfactory and many classes held in parochial hall. Further temporary accom. in St. Simon's Mission Hall provided 1951.(21) Became a controlled sch. 1950. Accom. 1961: 9 classrooms, hall.(28) Amelia Alston, by will proved 1870, left £500 for benefit of sch. Part of stock sold 1884, 1891, 1906 for repairs.(21)

I started at all saints in 1959 my brother Graham started the year after then my sister Janet the year after that it seemed to be a family tradition to go to all saints as my uncles dicky Barry Bryan Stan and Ronnie watts all went there as did their sister my mom Joan and my dad John Bryan I remember going to church every Monday morning it was also where they held the harvest festival and the christmas plays, in my last year I played herod, I remember to get out of lessons I volunteered to clean the fish tank at the top of the stairs, be the milk monitor and also at Christmas be the postman which meant delivering Christmas cards to other class rooms I had a great time at all saints even being paid as a choir boy to sing at a wedding (half a crown) It broke my heart to drive past and see the church has gone but memories still remain the jumble sales the movies they used to show in the hall the school trips the play ground the school dinners and some but not all of the teachers. After all saints most of us either went to handsworth new road or icknield street.

Back