• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

All Night Cafe in Broad Street early 1970s

Lemonella

master brummie
Does anyone remember the all night cafe in Broad Street in the early 1970s? It was run by an Asian man and we used to go there after we had been for a curry. He told us we would have two children, a boy and a girl, and we did.

Where on Broad Street was the cafe as there were a couple of all nighters The Tow Rope & the rendezvous, both have been discussed on here on numerous occasions. I don't remember either being run by an Asian chap, but the last time I used either of them would have been about 1968.

Where on Broad Street was the cafe as there were a couple of all nighters The Tow Rope & the rendezvous, both have been discussed on here on numerous occasions. I don't remember either being run by an Asian chap, but the last time I used either of them would have been about 1968.
It would have been at the top end going away from town. It was quite run down.

It might have been The Saints & Sinners Cafe or Salamis Cafe, being you say the chap who ran it was Asian I would go for the second one. Though in reality I didn't know either of them

When I worked for Watsons (Broad Street) in the late fifties there was a Greek restaurant directly opposite the showroom so that would be on the right hand side going out of town and maybe a couple of hundred yards or so past Sheepcote Street.

It might have been The Saints & Sinners Cafe or Salamis Cafe, being you say the chap who ran it was Asian I would go for the second one. Though in reality I didn't know either of them
The Salamis rings a bell, thanks for your reply.

Lemonella

I've just been reading up about the Saints ans Sinners on Broad Street and it was described as very much the same as the Tow Rope cafe but at the end of Broad Street, Where it was also an all nighter that catered for late night club goers and criminals mixed with drug addicts looking for a fix. Sounds just like the sort of place I liked to frequent, myself being among the late night clubbers of course.

Lemonella

I've just been reading up about the Saints ans Sinners on Broad Street and it was described as very much the same as the Tow Rope cafe but at the end of Broad Street, Where it was also an all nighter that catered for late night club goers and criminals mixed with drug addicts looking for a fix. Sounds just like the sort of place I liked to frequent, myself being among the late night clubbers of course.
I remember feeling a little uncomfortable there LOL

Does anyone remember the all night cafe in Broad Street in the early 1970s? It was run by an Asian man and we used to go there after we had been for a curry. He told us we would have two children, a boy and a girl, and we did.
the saints and sinners was owned by salem,and he could tell fortunes ,people came to him from far and wide,,i knew him well, he passed away circa 20 yrs ago , he had massive home in carpenter rd 10 bed rooms in edgbaston, sold for over 1million 20 yrs ago, he had 8or 9 daughters all are professionals, he himself was very clever,,, he ran the cafe with his 2 brothers,,,if needed they were very tough guys,,,best wishes john griffin

the saints and sinners was owned by salem ,,,i knew him well he was very clever,,he genuinely could tell fortunes he was also a brilliant lawyer, i used him often, far better than ones in town charging the earth, he died suddenly of a heart attack, he was a lovely guy and i saw him often, i know his daughters are all top professionals , they went to very good schools,

Back