• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alice Jennens, daughter of William jennens and Sarah Shelley

Bradford

proper brummie kid
Alice Jennens was born on 24th August 1868 in the Workhose, Dudley Road Birmingham and baptised on 28th August 1868 in St Martins. She was the daughter of William Jennens and Sarah Shelley. William was 16 at the time and the son of William Jennens and Elizabeth Lock. Sarah would have been 25.

William is my great grandfather, who left Sarah and two children, including my gradmother Sarah Annie Jennens and came to Australia between 1881, when Sarah Annie was born, and 1889, when he married in Australia and had a further family of 3 children. In the later census she is sated as a widow, but William was still alive in Australia

What ever happened to Alice. The only record that I have found for Alice is her birth

ive found a census in 1901 which seems to be linked to this alice but its a bit confusing as the ages dont match to your alice jennens born 1868. see what you think about it!
i looked for a marriage of alice jennens and found one in 1899 marylebone london to either robert blackmore or albert deacon.
in 1901 edgware rd. marylebone

albert deacon 29 railway carman b. marylebone
alice deacon .wife. 39 b. bow
alice jennens . stepdaughter 17 shop assistant b.bham
may jennens . stepdaughter 9 b. marylebone
john jennens . stepson 12 b. marylebone

The certificate for the marriage that Shera found is on Ancestry - Alice Jennens & Albert Deacon
Alice Jennens is recorded as a Widow aged 36. Her father is recorded as William Bishop (deceased) a builder by trade.

Suzanne

oh thanks suzanne, i did think afterwards that couldnt be the right one with the children aged as they were! it was the born bham that made me think there was a link. cant find anything else for the missing alice jennens :sour:

Hi there:)

She does appear to have gone missing doesn't she? It's just as well the marriage you found was a London one. Aren't they lucky to have the certificates online?

Suzanne

yes suzanne they are VERY lucky in london to have some of the bmd certificates online. (but i forgot to check that :ambivalence:)

when i checked the baptism of alice in 1868 at st. martins i notice she is listed as jennings not jennens.

Thank you all very much. Yes sometimes the family is Jennens and sometimes Jennings. I had looked at that marriage earlier, but have come to a deadend on Alice. Did she die at an early age? Is anyone able to lookup burials in Birmingham for me. It is very difficult to get information from here in Australia. My Dad, Peter Joseph Cotter, son of Alice's sister Sarah Annie Jennens, was born in Birmingham and came to Australia at the age of 12 after the death of his father John Joseph Cotter.

Thanks Shera for finding the family on the 1881 Census. William 26, Sarah 36 and Joseph 2. That is correct my grandmother was born that year. Interesting no Alice. If she was still alive she would have been 12. Did she die? Or was she adopted? Does anyone have access to Birmingham deaths? William left his wife and children in the next few yeras and came to Australia. He later brought Joseph out and Sarah Annie with her children after her husband died.

bradford, im pleased its the correct family on the 1881 census i found you (on the other thread) but surely william could not be the father of alice anyway as he would only be 14yrs when she was born! also did you note that the marriage was william jennens to sarah deeley not shelley. i think that if sarah had a daughter alice in abt 1869 it must have been by a different father!

I have William's birth date as 25th December 1852 which would have made him 28 at the time of the 1881 census not 26. He would have been 16 when Alice was born in Dudley Road Workhouse. When Alice Jennings ( Not Jennens but that happened a lot as they could not spell) was baptised in St Martins on 28th August 1868 her parents were shown as William and Sarah. See post on 5.5 from Wendy on thread Workhouse Dudley Road.

yes ive seen that entry for alice jennings to william and sarah but it doesnt prove it is your william and sarah? also william would have only been 15 yrs (not 16 till december that year) of alices christening - so in other words he would have "fathered" her at perhaps only 14 yrs old.

the marriage was william jennens to sarah deeley on 22 june 1873 at st. peter, dale end, birmingham.

sorry cant find anything on alice at all.

Think that I agree with you that this Alice was not the child of my William. I have just found the 1861 census for St Bride Middlesex when my William lived with his parents William ( a tin plate worker) and Anne ( Bridget). It shows he was 7, so born in 1854. His brother Joseph aged 2 was also there. I will now delete this Alice from my records.

I have found a William Jennings, 21 and Sarah, 20 with Alice aged 1 in the 1871 Census.

Thanks to everyone for the help

Daphne Bradford

Back