• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

ALFRED WARD/VIOLET MARY POPE. descendants.

Genlass

Brummie babby
Having recently found out my late father and his siblings had a half brother no-one knew about I am trying to trace descendants of the half brother who was Alfred Ward, born 22nd April 1907 Birmingham, and who's mother was Ella Caswell. Alfred married Violet Mary Pope, and he died on 21st December 1971 at the General Hospital, Birmingham, his wife Violet was informant, and they were then living at 23 Ormscliffe Road, Birmingham. Alfred was an upholsterer to trade. They may possibly may have had 3 daughters. Any information regarding the family would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
There is a baptism entry for Alfred Ward born 22 April 1907. The baptism date is 5 May 1907. Parents ate James Alfred and Emma Ward living at 54 Meriden St. James is a Labourer. Looks like the baptism took place at Saint Gabriel, Birmingham. Not sure where that might be but I have found that Meriden Street was in the Digbeth area. The 1911 census has Alfred age 4 living at 100 Floodgate Street, Birmingham. He is a boarder with Edward Caswell and his wife Maria, along with their daughter and son. Also is Nellie (is this Ellen, she is 25 and states married) Ward, Alfred and Jane Yapp, all boarders. On the 1939 register Alfred is 32 (born 22 April 1907) living with Ellen (age 53 born 20 April 1886)). He is a Window Dresser Tobacco. They could be living at 5 Brompton Road, but I am not sure. Although you say his mother was Ella Caswell, this surname was confirmed as being the maiden name of his mother on the GRO. Did she marry a Ward? Yes - Ellen Caswell married Alfred Ward in 1906 - Birmingham

There is a baptism entry for Alfred Ward born 22 April 1907. The baptism date is 5 May 1907. Parents ate James Alfred and Emma Ward living at 54 Meriden St. James is a Labourer. Looks like the baptism took place at Saint Gabriel, Birmingham. Not sure where that might be but I have found that Meriden Street was in the Digbeth area. The 1911 census has Alfred age 4 living at 100 Floodgate Street, Birmingham. He is a boarder with Edward Caswell and his wife Maria, along with their daughter and son. Also is Nellie (is this Ellen, she is 25 and states married) Ward, Alfred and Jane Yapp, all boarders. On the 1939 register Alfred is 32 (born 22 April 1907) living with Ellen (age 53 born 20 April 1886)). He is a Window Dresser Tobacco. They could be living at 5 Brompton Road, but I am not sure. Although you say his mother was Ella Caswell, this surname was confirmed as being the maiden name of his mother on the GRO. Did she marry a Ward? Yes - Ellen Caswell married Alfred Ward in 1906 - Birmingham
Thank you very much, did have some of the above details but not all, Yes Ellen, Ella was Nellie, who married my Grandfather, she was his first wife, I am related to his second wife, my grandmother.

Back