• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alfred Maybury

Lady Penelope

master brummie
View attachment 118000 Alfred lived in various houses around Summer Lane, mainly Paddington Street. He was born in 1896. For some reason they pronounced his name as 'Olf'.
The reason for posting this is that he was badly beaten up and brain injured during a street fight. This must have been in the 1920's or 30's. He ended his days at Dudley Road Hospital although I'm not sure which part. Probably the section that deals with mental problems.
I wondered if he was mistaken for a Peaky and set upon as he was a mild mannered chap by all accounts. Or he may have just got into a fight as there was lots of street fighting then.
Any information would be helpful please

alf maybury.jpg

PS. Could someone kindly rotate the picture for me please? I have posted it after rotating it both ways and even upside down! It always comes out sideways. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
nice photo pen...have turned it round for you...i wonder if there was anything in the newspapers about alfs beating up

lyn

Thanks Lyn, it's still sideways on my screen though - perhaps I need to log out and in again! The problem is that I don't have a date. Perhaps someone had access to the papers as I think you can search by name then.

no pen not you..i have saved it the right way up buts its still posting the wrong way up...will keep trying

lyn

its still saving the wrong way up pen..maybe mike or viv will have a go for you

lyn

Lady P,

Quite a few Brummies with the forename Alf (Alfred) appear to have pronounced it as Olf, including my uncle Alf Sedgwick, always referred to as Olf Sedgwick, but I have no idea why, any more than I know why the surname Cholmondeley is pronounced Chumley or Featherstonehaugh is pronounced Fanshawe!

Maurice

Back