• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alfred Lichtenstein Help Please

W

Wendy

Here's a puzzle I would like help with Alfred Lichtenstein is buried at Key Hill next to a Muslim grave. I have no connection but would love to find out who he was. I have received the information below from a friend. It is sad if he has family who are unaware of where he is buried.

Alfred Lichtenstein was buried on 12 Oct 1942. Home address 18 Highbury New Park London 5. He was 63. The service was taken by 'A. Sigall'. I googled the address and noted there was a Goldblum Synagogue in that road in the 1930s so you are probably right in thinking he was Jewish (There was a Lichtenstein on the Board of Govereners of the Goldblum Synagogue in 1931).
I believe Jewish burials are ususally carried out very quickly but there was a 4 day gap here. Perhaps he was only on a visit to Birmingham and it would have taken too long to get his body back to London

He died in War time so maybe it was too difficult to return his body to London. I also don't know the cause of death he may have been caught in the bombings. Someone paid for a headstone although there is little on it. So many questions but I know some of you will enjoy having a look for any more clues. It just helps with info on the residents.:)

Hi Wendy!
I read your post about Alfred Lichtenstein a few days ago and so I decided to create an account on this forum. I am actually from Austria, so I don't have very much to do with Birmingham, except Alfred Lichtenstein, who is one of my ancestors. As Alfred was Jewish he had to flee with his wife from the Nazis to England. I know that your post is already seven years old, but maybe you are still looking into the forum every now and then. If you would like to know more about Alfred Lichtenstein, please write me!!!
I am looking forward to your response!
Christoph

Back