• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alfred Griffiths 1873

Rubyroo

Brummie babby
Hi All

I am doing my fathers family tree Alfred Griffiths 1909 and I know that his father was also Alfred 1873. I am now trying to find out any information on his parents. Can anyone help with look ups to who they may have been as there are many Alfreds born around that time

Thanks

Rubyroo

Rubyroo
Could you give us a little more detail as to your father, as , at present there seems no way of deciding which person m ight be the one you are looking for

Mikejee

My father was Alfred John Griffiths 1909 in Londonderry. His parents were Alfred Griffiths 1893 and a Harriet Harris. Alfred senior was a Regular soldier. Unfortunately I have little else to go on. I know my grandmother lived in Cherrywood road as did some of my fathers siblings in the 1939 registar.

Rubyroo

Not sure what records you already have, but here's the family in 1911 their address is -
Residents of a house 20 in Ebrington Military Barracks (Londonderry No. 5 Urban, Londonderry)

and a copy of his birth registration.

Attachments

• griffiths ireland 1911.JPG
    griffiths ireland 1911.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 12
  • griffiths alfred birth.JPG
    griffiths alfred birth.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 11
Marriage registered for an Alfred Griffiths and a Harriet Elizabeth Harris - Jun qtr 1903, Aston. Apart from the registration there doesn't to be anything else so you might need the marriage certificate to learn Alfred's father.

There are a couple of Harriet Elizabeth Harris born 1881, one in Bham and one in Aston. The most likely one is the one born in Aston, the son of John and Matilda, nee Axhorn. There appears to be a marriage record for the other one that lists the father as Samuel.

Last edited:
Thanks I knew their names appeared several times in the year of births Griffiths and Harris seem to be difficult to research in Birmingham area !!

Rubyroo, perhaps it would help if you asked for all the information on one thread only.
Some of this information has been given to you twice on different threads by other members.
This means that you may get the information a bit mixed up. Thanks Alberta.

Hi. My grandad was Leonard William Harris (born William Leonard) brother of Harriet Elizabeth Harris. I no longer subscribe to Ancestry but looking at my tree Ive noted my grandad living with Harriet and her husband on the 1922 Midland Electoral Register. I have that Harriet and her husband had a son named Ernest William but it’s been a long time since I did any research and without subscribing to Ancestry I’m unsure where I got that information. My grandad’s mother died whilst he was still young I believe and my Mum tells me that she was told grandad used to live with various sisters and brothers as he was growing up. My grandad lived in Cherrywood Road, where he met and married Nelly May Griffin.

That would seem to confirm that Harriet was the daughter of John & Matilda (nee Axhorn).

Matilda appear to die in 1915.

That would seem to confirm that Harriet was the daughter of John & Matilda (nee Axhorn).

Matilda appear to die in 1915.
Yes Harriet was the daughter of John Harris of Welford on Avon and Matilda nee Axhorn. John and Matilda were married on 4th April 1880. Harriet Elizabeth had other brothers and sisters, which I can list should it be helpful. Leonard, Harriet’s youngest brother can be seen in this photo with Mary Harris, in the pink hat, one of Leonard’s and Harriet’s sisters. Thank you for the year of death for Matilda. This helps with my Grandad’s story.

Attachments

• 54D7766F-472B-4771-944A-EAA4FAC34222.jpeg
    54D7766F-472B-4771-944A-EAA4FAC34222.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 2
Back