• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alfred Fellows Cycle Shop

Sparkhill Lad

master brummie
Does anyone know where this could have been taken?
Gooch Street and Hope Street have been suggested by family members.

Alfred is pictured here with his wife Hinda in the doorway, selling bicycles but I have another where it has changed to that of a general furniture dealer the only thing to remain is the sign advertising puppies for sale.

Alfred is the brother to my Granfather Charles Henry Fellows and many or you reading this may have seen my posts regarding Charles in the past.
Charles's wife Eva, ran a second hand clothing shop possibly in the same area but have never been able to find anything at all about this although she ran it for some years.

Hope you enjoy the picture must be about late 50's what do you think.?

mystery solved but a bit different story
A Fellows & son
Cycle dealer
142 High Street Bordesley 12

Alfred Fellows
Bird Dealer
60 High Street Bordesley 12

both entries in Kelly's 1939

will continue with search for other dates if you require

Alfred Senior in picture had a son Alf may be the answer, but 1st Alfred was said to have 2/3 shops in this area.
Maybe they were all Alfred snr.and son worked for him as you would expect.

Would love any info you could give me, especially if you are able to find anything about Eva which I think was Gooch Street again in the 30's I think.

Thanks

Just found the other picture, here Alfred I believe, is in the same doorway as 60 High Street Bordesley but now he is a furniture dealer.

Alfred Fellows

Alfred Fellows first appeard at No 60 High Street between 1908 and 1913 this shop was there till according to Kelly's between 1940 /1943
No 143 first time at address was 1938/39 and then till 1966/67
lastly being a Pet Shop
A Fellows had been a general dealer, Cycle dealer, a bird dealer, Furniture dealer and lastly a Pet Shop.
will see what I can about Eva another time having spent quite some time on this one

Thanks John

1 for putting Alfred on his feet again :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
2 for advice on buildings
I can remember the shop being a pet shop, it was run by a "Fellows" but never sure if it was our or not, now I know.

Aprreciate your help on Eva later, she was my Grandmother. I said Gooch St earlier but Muntz st & Golden Hillock Rd are in my memory to for some reason.

Have a good Christmas if we do not speak again before.

I have only just found out that my grandad John Thomas Clarke or known to his pals as Jack had a shop on Gooch Street and it was a bicycle shop .. It must have been in the 1930s as he was killed in the BSA bombings .
He was a fencer and gardner and carpenter type bloke and went into business with a guy called Harry ? Day . The bought a house on Gooch Street South and he turned the windows into display windows and they set up a bycicle shop and also Recharged Batteries for the Radio sets :) Any Sign of where that shop could have been ? I think he lived in Vaughton Street :)
Best Wishes Jean

There were two cycle shops in Gooch St. in 1933, The Magnet Depot , 320 Gooch St, and Stevens cycle depot at 248,250 Gooch St. Both are towards the south end on the north east side of the street. Stevens is listed as Prop. T Stevens, so I reckon it was probably the magnet depot.
Mike

Thanks Mike . It couldnt have been there long because my Grandad was called up then for the war and then killed in 1942. I only just found all this out because I found a living Uncle who remembers my grandad abd used to work with him in the 1930s :) Different world then eh ?
Regards Jean

Jean
Not so sure now, In 1936 and up to 1940, no 320 was a pork butchers. Stevens was still there in 1939 and 1940, but no other cycle shops
Mike

Ok Mike .. it seems every time I research this guy it poses problems :) Dont worry about it thanks for responding :)
Jean

Hi Sparkhill Lad, Alf & Hinda Fellows were my Great Grandparents, their first child, Gertrude b.1900 was my Grandmother.
I have been trying to find old photographs of them and saw your comments at this site. Unfortunately, your 3 attachments will not open - is it possible for you to email them to me?
regards
Paul

Hi Sparkhill Lad, Alf & Hinda Fellows were my Great Grandparents, their first child, Gertrude b.1900 was my Grandmother.
I have been trying to find old photographs of them and saw your comments at this site. Unfortunately, your 3 attachments will not open - is it possible for you to email them to me?
regards
Paul
Hi Paul and others
My great grandparents were also Alfred and Hinda Fellows. Their son Charles (Charlie) was my grandad.
I have photos of them and the shop if you're interested?
Regards Michael

Back