• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alfred Bird F.C.S.

W

Wendy

Alfred Bird son of astronomer Alfred Bird Bart was born in Digbeth in 1811. After his apprenticeship he registered as a chemist in 1842 and opened a shop in Bull Street. He went on to develop an egg free custard because his wife was allergic to eggs. The story goes, he accidentally served the custard to guests which was when he realised the importance of his invention. He founded the company of Alfred Bird and Sons Ltd which then became Birds Custard. He also invented Baking Powder. Alfred was also involved in the development of other industries in the city,he became involved in meterorological experiments and investigations, but will always be remembered for his custard. He died on Dec 18th 1878 aged 67.
Alfred and the Bird family are buried at Key Hill Cememtery in Hockley
Grave no 164 section H.

Thank you, it would be good to have an index on the site of all the famous people buried at Key Hill.

I will try and put one together from what I have, but input from the great folk on here would help.

birds

Hi this may be a bit of a long shot but im try to look into my family tree, well to cut a long story short, my nan seem to think we are related to the Bird family (im not convinced) is there anyway of finding out on this site, im not sure how we are spose to be related but i do have a few names i can throw you way if you can help
cheers
zippysmich

I was told that my great gran was a romany gypsy but have since found out it wasn't true which was a bit dissapointing, but I was determined to find out, so I wish you luck with your search and hope that you are related to the bird family.

zippysmich, The only way to find out is to work backwards from your grandparents if you know which side of the family and send for a few certificates if you don't already have some. Post some details and we will try and help.

I used to know a great old gentleman years ago who was also named Alfred Bird, when he was a young man he went for a job at Bird's and when he was asked for his name and he gave it they thought he was taking the mick and he nearly didn't get the job.

Sir Alfred Bird was knocked down by a motor car in Piccadilly, early on Tuesday 7 February 1922. He was taken to St George's Hospital but died shortly afterwards.
At the subsequent enquiry the driver of the motor car responsible, Lewis Marshall, was exonerated from all blame. Sir Alfred, who was 73, was on his way from a political reception in Grosvenor Square which he left shortly after midnight and was attempting to cross the road at Hyde Park Corner. At the enquiry it was said that Sir Alfred hesitated while in the middle of the road and unexpectedly went backwards. Captain J H Thorpe said that Sir Alfred was extraordinarily nervous in traffic. The car that struck Bird was travelling at 8-10 mph.
Sir Alfred was the son of Mr Alfred Bird FCS, the Birmingham analytical and manufacturing chemist who invented baking powder, eggless custard powder and founded the well-known firm of Alfred Bird and Sons. Sir Alfred joined the family business, subsequently assumed sole control, and was responsible for the establishment of Devonshire works Digbeth, now known as the Custard Factory. In 1905 he retired and went into politics, being MP for Wolverhampton West from 1910 until his death. He was knighted in 1921. His house in Solihull, Tudor Grange, contained significant art treasurers including works by Sir Joshua Reynolds and Lord Leighton. Len.

A great piece of info Lencops. Do you mind if I keep it for my file on the Bird family.

Wendy, there is a section of Streetsbrook Road Cemetery dedicated to the Birds. I always assumed, possibly wrongly, that those interred here were of the chemical/custard dynasty?

When at school in the 60s I was taught PE by a Sir Richard Bird (inevitably Dickie) - I assume the same Sir Richard still living in Solihull. He was a popular man.

Roy it could be the family as I know it was a large family. I must check who else is buried in the same plot as Alfred Bird. Before I was married in the late 60's I worked in a hairdressers in Four Oaks and often did Mrs Bird's hair I was told her correct title was Lady Bird (perhaps that's why she didn't use it). She was a widow then and lived at Horton Manor which was off Rosemary Hill Road. She was a great character. Mrs Bird owned and drove around in a Pink Rolls Royce. I assume she was from the custard dynasty as she was a very wealthy lady. She told me once how she was inundated with begging letters. Some from prisoners which worried her because they knew where she lived. On another occasion she said she had to sell a lot of her silver because the insurance company would not insure so much. Can you imagine a young hairdresser today being given this information. I was very fond of her even her eccentricity but also her kindness. She gave me a large cheque (about a weeks wages) when she knew I was getting married I never forgot this. At the time it mad me cry. Woops sorry to ramble but memories get sparked don't they!

RoyMcC, Could this be your PE teacher?. Len.
Children of Sir Richard Geoffrey Chapman Bird, 4th Bt. and Helen Patricia Beaumont

Citations

1. [S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 377. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.

RoyMcC, Could this be your PE teacher?. Len.
Children of Sir Richard Geoffrey Chapman Bird, 4th Bt. and Helen Patricia Beaumont

Citations

1. [S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 377. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
Yes, I imagine it is one and the same. Thanks Len.

Wendy, there is a section of Streetsbrook Road Cemetery dedicated to the Birds. I always assumed, possibly wrongly, that those interred here were of the chemical/custard dynasty?

When at school in the 60s I was taught PE by a Sir Richard Bird (inevitably Dickie) - I assume the same Sir Richard still living in Solihull. He was a popular man.

Yes I recall Dickie at St Philip’s Grammar School.

I have a lovely little address book - for Christmas card recipients, given to my uncle who was a rep for ICI in Birmingham. The book is courtesy of Alfred Bird & Sons

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Yes I recall Dickie at St Philip’s Grammar School.

Yes, there's a Bird plot at the cemetery, the 'custard' Birds. Sadly Richard (my dad) joined their ranks in 2021. Yes the same Richard who taught PE...always good to hear others appreciated him. We knew him as a great dad, grandpa and great grandpa

Back