• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alfred Albut

red research

proper brummie kid
I live in south west Scotland and have just joined the forum and I was wondering if anyone could help find the burial or cremation place of a Mr Alfred Hubert Albut, born Bromsgrove Oc/Nov/Dec 1850; died Aston 1916. Thank you.

It is possible that he did, although Ancestry gives both Hubert and Herbert as the middle name. With the former the correct one. So....

Trouble with sites like Ancestry and Free Bmd is that transcribers are volunteers and will transcribe what they think, especially when there is unreadable writing!) I see on Ancestry that Albut has been transcribed as Albritt, and Albert. Also Hubert/Herbert isn't so different. Is the 1871 census where Alfred is Assistant to his Father who is a Coal Merchant your Alfred? I can't find any other census records for him, lots of Electoral Roll addresses. Found a birth reg in 1849 - Bromsgrove for Alfred Hurbet, mmn Smith. OK So the census is correct as Adam Albut married Ann Smith in Birmingham in 1847. You probably have all this info, so probably no help to you at all!

Trouble with sites like Ancestry and Free Bmd is that transcribers are volunteers and will transcribe what they think, especially when there is unreadable writing!) I see on Ancestry that Albut has been transcribed as Albritt, and Albert. Also Hubert/Herbert isn't so different. Is the 1871 census where Alfred is Assistant to his Father who is a Coal Merchant your Alfred? I can't find any other census records for him, lots of Electoral Roll addresses. Found a birth reg in 1849 - Bromsgrove for Alfred Hurbet, mmn Smith. OK So the census is correct as Adam Albut married Ann Smith in Birmingham in 1847. You probably have all this info, so probably no help to you at all!
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
What it all concerns, is that I am a Manchester United author and historian and created the Manchester United Graves Society whereby I am trying to locate the burial/cremation details of as many former players and officials as possible and to date have found around 360.
Alf Albut is considered to be the first manager of the club, who were then known as Newton Heath.

There is an Alfred Albut buried at Yardley Cemetery December 1916.

William.
Thanks for that William. See my other reply to a post.
What you have given me could well be the first step in obtaining what I need. Is there any way to obtain section and plot details of this burial. This would help and perhaps I could get someone to visit and take a photograph of the headstone if there is one, or simply the plot if there isn’t.

Interesting on the 1871 census there is a visitor named Myra Taylor. This is the person Alfred married in 1913.

His wife Selina died in 1908, so there is every possibly that he did in fact re-marry.
I should perhaps have added that he was also involved with
Aston Villa.

What you have given me could well be the first step in obtaining what I need. Is there any way to obtain section and plot details of this burial. This would help and perhaps I could get someone to visit and take a photograph of the headstone if there is one, or simply the plot if there isn’t.

There is a website called Birminghamburialrecords.co.uk where I found the information re the burial, and I think it now costs £20 to view the burial record. You can do this online.

However there is a FB group called Birmingham Ancestors Family History, England and if you join that group I think they will tell you who to contact in order to obtain the information you are seeking for around £5, although members of this forum may also know who to contact.

William.

You can find the info here but there is a charge.

Or you could try contacting the cemetery direct to see if they can help.

OK, so we have the same person. Alfred did marry Selina Sarah Wellings in Aston in 1895 them Myra Taylor in Bromgrove . in 1908 when Selina died, administration was to the said Alfred Herbert Albut, confectioners traveller.

Sorry I haven’t been back on in regards to my search for Alf Albut’s Grave. I have the plot details and someone has said they will visit and take photos but they have been unable to do so as yet. There is another player buried in the same cemetery, so will hopefully be able to get photos of both and will post along with biog.

Sorry I haven’t been back on in regards to my search for Alf Albut’s Grave. I have the plot details and someone has said they will visit and take photos but they have been unable to do so as yet. There is another player buried in the same cemetery, so will hopefully be able to get photos of both and will post along with biog.
Hi, I have sent you a PM.

Ron

Someone has visited the cemetery today, but unfortunately there appears to be no standing headstone, although there is one near to where Alf could be, but it is lying face down and too big to move. Further enquiries are being made.

Back